Cache ONLY Coins? Who's done 1?

Hula Bum

With all the angst I thought it would be interesting and fun to see who has made coins that are only available via cache. By this I mean that they have never been sold or traded, the only to find one of these babies is by walking up to a cache and wrapping your fingers around that precious piece of metal.

I would kind of like to see the opposite. A coin that never sees a can and is only passed hand to hand (face to face) during a trail encounters, events, etc. so the coin is alwats in someone possession at all times and not just sitting in a can for days/ weeks/ months at a time. I would think this might also reduce the amount of coin disappearances also. Maybe shaped like a football or something. Just a thought.

I would kind of like to see the opposite. A coin that never sees a can and is only passed hand to hand (face to face) during a trail encounters, events, etc. so the coin is alwats in someone possession at all times and not just sitting in a can for days/ weeks/ months at a time. I would think this might also reduce the amount of coin disappearances also. Maybe shaped like a football or something. Just a thought.

Shadowace is known to only give his coins to people that he goes on cache hikes with.

Originally, Coinfusion was supposed to be a cache only project, but someone jumped the shark, er, the gun and started trading them. <_<

I think CKayaks is cache only. MRsquared is another. Our personal coin is mostly cache only, although if asked we will trade it so I guess it's not really.

--Marky

Feel free to start a thread about your idea. This thread is about cache only coins though, please post those!

My GeoTags were purchased for dropping into caches only. I don't know if they qualify for your thread though because I may decide to give one or two away to some close friends (locally) but other than that they are cache only. If somebody wants to trade for one, they will have to "trade even or up" in the cache they find it in. ;)

Edited by rasj

I can totally understand the "cache only" coin...but I am confused on the method...I guess you could put them in caches in your area only, but then you might as well just give to local cachers...I get a bit frustrated when I hear that people have "cache only" coins or pathtags because I know there is no way that I will ever get one...

I suppose if someone travels a lot and gets all over then there would be a chance...but that's just my two cents on the topic.

That being said I have no problem with it, I just wish that there was more of a chance of being able to get one! :lol:

Do the Geocoin Fairy coins count? They aren't trackable, but you didn't say either way on that issue. I know that the vast majority of GD coins are found in caches; we have one such :lol: But I don't know if they have ever been traded. And I don't know if you would exclude coins that are cache only, but for the dispersal of which the owner had "helpers".

Edited by chaosmanor

How about the Geocoin Secret agent?

(I know one was sold for charity,but I dont think you can buy one otherwise)

Still trying to figure out who made this one!LOL!(We got lucky and found one in our town)

I was thinking that also... and its the only one I can think of

problem is... with having to make at least 100 coins... its an expensive proposition

How about the Geocoin Secret agent?

(I know one was sold for charity,but I dont think you can buy one otherwise)

Still trying to figure out who made this one!LOL!(We got lucky and found one in our town)

Lots of GSA coins have gone on ebay.

EDIT:

The Geocoin Fairy coins, only the #001 was sold I belive for charity, all the others were placed in caches.

The Easter Geocoin Bunny coins, I have only seen the proof sold for charity, all the regular minted coins were placed into caches.

Capt Prozac only places his coins in caches.

Dhenninger's April Fool's coin was self-made and given away.

Edited by avroair

DSCF4257.jpg

DSCF4258.jpg

So far my signature trade coin has been cache only. Turned out kinda OK for making my own. They are done in lead free pewter (nice non-toxic touch I thought). I hadn't really put much thought into trading as the point here was to create something decent and unique to trade for when I find something I like in a cache (doesn't happen too often, but now and then).

DSCF4257.jpg

DSCF4258.jpg

So far my signature trade coin has been cache only. Turned out kinda OK for making my own. They are done in lead free pewter (nice non-toxic touch I thought). I hadn't really put much thought into trading as the point here was to create something decent and unique to trade for when I find something I like in a cache (doesn't happen too often, but now and then).

That looks great and I know a number of people who would love to trade with you if you ever considered it, nice work!

tsun :shocked: