Geocoins & Airplanes

kvhollis

Has anyone ran into any problems taking travel bugs and/or geocoins through airport security on a carryon bag?

Things I need to be aware of?

Recommendations?

I have taken a group of TB's, Jeeps, and coins on several international trips with no problems. The ideal way would be to put in checked baggage. I have carried mine in a backpack with not even a question.

Just be prepared to let them open the container. Once they see them there should be no problems.

<_<

The last time I flew (which was just this Jan), I didn't have any problems... unless you coin them opening my checked luggage to search the box of coins I had in there. On the way back I carried both boxes of coins I had (bought a whole mess of coins where I was) and they didn't even say anything. If you have space, I'd actually recommend taking them in carry-on. Being able to open the boxes yourself is, imho, better... where having them rifle through luggage is kinda creepy.

Just have extra ziplock baggies for your bugs. TSA loves those ziplock baggies.... it isolates the explosive should any ied type device be hidden inside. <_<

I've brought travel bugs, coins and all my geocaching paraphenalia (PDA, GPSr, cables, laptop, swagbag & swag) cross country in my carry-on and nobody bat an eyelash at them. My companion had to forfeit her mascara but that's another story.

Edited by Droo

The last time I flew (which was just this Jan), I didn't have any problems... unless you coin them opening my checked luggage to search the box of coins I had in there. On the way back I carried both boxes of coins I had (bought a whole mess of coins where I was) and they didn't even say anything. If you have space, I'd actually recommend taking them in carry-on. Being able to open the boxes yourself is, imho, better... where having them rifle through luggage is kinda creepy.

My problem is that I just really didn't want someone digging through my baggage to see what those items on an xray machine happens to be. I would much rather take them with me in may carry on baggage where I can take them out and show and/or explain what they are if needed.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies!

I've air-traveled with a fair number of coins twice.

The first was to Vermont nearly a year ago. That time the coins were in a 3-ring binder. I'm not comfortable packing valuables in my checked baggage (which I prefer not to have anyway) so they were in my carry-on. Both directions I was pulled aside and my bag searched. Everybody was very interested in the coins once they knew what they were. But I guess they were initially suspicious.

The second trip was this past February to the GeocoinFest. That time I only took my traders, which are packed differently -- they are in 2 Lock 'n' Lock boxes, sitting on edge in a filing system. When I went through security to board, they looked as my bag went through the scanner, but didn't search it. They only asked what 'they' were and seemed satisfied with my answer of 'collectible coins.' Because they are darn heavy, I sent them home with a friend who had driven down. On the way back, the dozen or so coins that I had in a ziplock with some other stuff weren't commented on at all.

Has anyone ran into any problems taking travel bugs and/or geocoins through airport security on a carryon bag?

Things I need to be aware of?

Recommendations?

I stuck a geocoin in my GPS bag and sent it with my wife to Alaska. Security saw this on the X-ray and pulled her aside and searched her bag commenting on the GPS.

I don't know if the combo was the trigger or the GPS itself.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've flown many times with 100+ coins. I always carry them on, cuz I don't want them lost with my luggage <_< I keep them in a large tupperware container, so they can see in. The TSA agents at the screenings suggest to me:

--Keep all the items together, so if questioned, you don't have to pull coins out of every pocket (I mean come on, who doesn't have coins in their coats, jeans, backpacks :o )

--Keep them visible and accessible

--Scan them separate, like a laptop, since they are metal, and won't X-ray (This applies more to large bunches for freaks like me)

I once had the TSA pull me aside, open the box, wipe them for explosives, do the chemical analysis, etc. At the end of the day, it's a whole lot of suspicious metal that they just don't see every day. Just be nice and explain it, and I've never had an issue.

Best advice I have read here .. Scan them separate ..

I put the travel bugs in a large clear ziplock and then geocoins in another .. on top of my carry on.

Please add larger quantities of AA batteries to the list ... nearly started a security scare here in Milwaukee when they saw a Sam's Club pack of 'em in my carry on. I now put them in a ziplock and put it in the bin by itself.

I've never had any problem with TBs or geocoins. (There are, though, certain TBs that I have encountered that I would not try to take through security. Use common sense.)

If I have any problems, it is with large amount of electronics that I often seem to travel with: laptop, cellphone, GPS for car (navigation), handheld GPS (geocaching), Palm, camera, other camera, and so on...it's not so much the devices themselves as the big wad of cables, wall warts, and spare batteries that causes TSA to take a second look.

I have flown in and out of USA from the UK three times in the past 14 months, twice since the newest security clampdown.

I carry geocoins, TBs (never been fortunate enough to transport a Jeep) in my hand luggage. I even get them out on board for a photo or two! Sometimes I photograph them round the airport too. I have had some realy appreciative emails from TB owners when they can see their TB in flight!

Nobody has bothered me on flights from Heathrow to JFK, Heathrow to DC ( x 2), DC to San Diego, San Diego to JFK, JFK to Heathrow, JFK to Buffalo (and back) JFK to Detroit, Detroit to London.

Mind you, in my case, the TSA and everyone else has the opportunity to get their knickers in a knot over my wheelchair and assistance dog, so TBs and coins are probably small fry by comparisson!!!!! <_<

For example

6e8439f1-98ae-4f7c-bf01-c03c2da25dff.jpg

1447a2d4-70cf-4496-afff-dd87eab6f837.jpg

2a29f04f-2174-40d4-be50-9674e988049f.jpg

I moved geocoins on a fair numer of flights earlier this year. They were in my computer bag which contained, among other things, my GPSr, MP3 player, PDA, transformers for everything, sig. items (transit token collections), etc. My bag was never quetioned. On one flight, I heard one of the screeners tell another that those are a bunch of coins. Otherwise, no problems.

I did move some of my own geocoins in checked baggage, but I didn't want to risk losing those coins and TBs that I had retrieved from caches - so they went in carry-on baggage.

I had about 30 coins in my backpack getting on a plane and the attendants asked me to open the backpack to look at them. We than talked about what I was doing with all the coins. Interesting way to talk to someone about geocaching.

The FLIGHT ATTENDANTS asked you to open the backpack???? did you initated the conversation about coins or did they pick you our in random to search your bag?

oh, btw, the hk geocoins are activated and sent out this morning! <_< please let me know if you receive them