Front Yard Caches

olvegrn

That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the psychopath who collects handguns next door.

I think the topic is about geocaches on people’s front lawns, not your asinine beliefs about handgun owners.

Dude...this is a friendly debate...

Why are you attacking people that do not hold to your beliefs???

;)

Maybe people get tired of THEIR "beliefs" being attacked by people that can't seem to avoid taking advantage of every single opportunity to further their propaganda agendas regardless of whether appropriate or not in the topic at hand. Whether the remark was meant that way or not, it is obviously open to that interpretation.

Besides being in the right yard might keep you from disturbing an ABORTION "doctor" plying her evil trade.

This is not a handgun ban or abortion ban discussion or a tirade against (insert your favourite minority here) and adding in thinly disguised insults against certain members of society is simply not appropriate.

You are mistaken about just who was "attacked" here... it was NOT Kabuthunk. It was all the psychopathic handgun owners. (couldn't resist) :P

The shoe fits either foot.

I'm the owner of a front yard cache. It is at my parents' house in a small town in Iowa. There were no caches in the town-- the closest were about 5 miles down the highway, so I decided to set one up in a nice hidey hole in a tree at the curb of their house. Now the town has a cache (albeit not exactly a thrilling one), and my parents can easily keep an eye on it in case it needs anything. I think I did a pretty good job in the description of letting people know where they can comfortably search for it. I know not everyone will enjoy this sort of cache (poking around on private property makes me nervous, as well), but I tried my best to provide a cache for the town and to do it in a responsible way.

My parents will email me when the spot a cacher out poking around in the tree, and several people logging the cache have noted that they saw my parents. No complaints so far about the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...30-2047e969f68c

Ah, I can almost read the letters from home:

Dear son, we still haven't seen any of them geocatchers you said would stop by but we're still looking.

Unfortunately though we are being overrun by dad blasted tresspassers, they keeo coming up in the yard and poking around in our bushes. We sic the hounds on em and run 'em off but then more of em show up, I figure they're scaring the geocatchers away and that's why we haven't seen any yet. Durn shame to cause I'm curious to see what a geacatcher looks like, I've seen durn near every animal there is in these parts but I ain't never seen a geocatcher.

Take care son, gotta go turn the hounds loose, looks like I got another durn fool poking around my bushes.

(Just kidding, all in fun) ;)

One of the most incredible "Front Yard Caches" I ever found was this one:

Rock Arch Cache

If FYCs were banned, I would have missed seeing this:

768a3569-3d94-4c90-99a4-9c54d5afb5fc.jpg

That's a good front yard cache.

"I think I see what might be the cache wedged in between those rocks. I guess you're supposed to pull this one out in order to get to it... aaahhhhHHHHH!"

(Crumble crumble)

"Oh wait, there it is behind that bush. Yay! Another smiley!"

I gotta add my 2 cents in here. I agree and disagree with FYC. I have done several FYC that were awsome, we have even meet the owner of two of the caches we were looking for. The decent thing to do IMO is to drive by the area, try to scan the area and see what you are dealing with. If you FEEL out of place or uncomfortable, then move on. Aslo use common sense and go after the cache at a resonable hour, say before dusk. Who is going to shoot someone at 2 pm in the afternoon? I would scream out the door you better be geocaching, or else. If the dude held up his GPS then I would wave back.. If he said whats geocaching then I would think about getting the phone and baseball bat... When we were doing the Mississippi Delorme Challenge there were several times we ended up in neighborhoods that I wouldn't go into during the day time. The cache would be at the end of a residential road, up in the woods, somewhat near the back of a house. Now that is scary.. Another thing I would stress is be more descriptive about all geocaches on your page.. I will immediately not go after your geocache if the cache page ONLY says, ammo can at ????? point.... This tells me nothing... Are there going to be mean dogs around? Am I going to be at your house???? If you cannot tell me more in your description, then that tells me you just threw it out there and it took you all of ten minutes to plan this one out... We are grown adults here, just use common sense... At the same time if you are uncomfortable with the cache, think about emailing the owner and explaining what made you uncomfortable.

I generally don't care for caches at people's residences. But I see no reason for a rule against them. Some cachers like them and it is easy enough to decide not to do a cache that makes you feel uncomfortable. I have never found it difficult to ignore caches that I don't care to find. So if you are worried about that kind of cache, just don't seek it.

What she said.

That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the psychopath who collects handguns next door.

I think the topic is about geocaches on people’s front lawns, not your asinine beliefs about handgun owners.

Dude...this is a friendly debate...

Why are you attacking people that do not hold to your beliefs???

;)

I don't understand what part of Criminal's comment is supposed to be an attack. From where I'm sitting it looks like Kabuthunk is the one "attacking people that do not hold to (his) beliefs". I also find his comment highly offensive, but as Criminal pointed out, the topic here is not about the psychological stability of handgun owners, but geocaches on people's front lawns, which, as I noted above, I do not care for.

Well I have one in my front yard and its been very well received over the years. I've met a lot of nice cachers who have come for a visit. So why the need to stop this kind of cache, just put it where it can be found and not muggled and with very clear instructions as to its location and there should not be any problems with caches of this nature.

In fact its more dangerous to go looking for caches that I have in the backcountry. There are Mountain Lions up there, even saw one on a maintenance hike yesterday.

Well I have one in my front yard and its been very well received over the years. I've met a lot of nice cachers who have come for a visit. So why the need to stop this kind of cache, just put it where it can be found and not muggled and with very clear instructions as to its location and there should not be any problems with caches of this nature.

In fact its more dangerous to go looking for caches that I have in the backcountry. There are Mountain Lions up there, even saw one on a maintenance hike yesterday.

Now that was a front yard cache that I liked. ;)

Putting the house number in the description might actually violate the guidelines, since I could then look for the cache without really using coords.

Not if you're generic enough. If you say "house #38", the person reading it has no clue what street they're on. Or failing that, you could put "house number ending in 8"... something like that.