eTrex Legend vs eXplorist 210

Have little brother that lives far away from me going through a nasty divorce. Money is tight for him and he has five kids. Wanted to get him a GPSr so he would have something to do with the kids that didn't cost a whole lot. Was thinking of the Garmin eTrex Legend or the Magellan eXplorist 210 and was looking for feed back good or bad on either unit. Thanks for the input.

:) I am sure that either GPS would work well for basic Geocaching. I for one like the etrex units because I have owned several of them over the last 4 years. I still have two etrex units that are several years old and both still work fine.

I used both this past weekend and I can tell you for sure that the 210 has much better sat. loc-on, plus I think that the menu system and screen size/backlite are a huge advantage. If you ever get a chance just compare the backlite on both units, the legend's will make you chuckle :(

Jeff

I'm a Garmin man myself, but with these 2 choices, I have to go with the Magellan. the Legend is a fine GPS, but the 210 is newer, and more suited to geocaching. The Explorist series of Magellan are in my opinion, the only model that can compare in ruggedness to the Garmin. Don't get the explorist 100, 200, or 300. Neither of those have computer connection capability (there is a workaround to that buy why use it when you can get the 210).

hi all,

I've recently got a 210 and thoroughly studied the manual, searched the various screens and menues,

but couldn't find out how to manually add a waypoint by coordinates.

The old GPS300 offered that feature as well as does my father's etrex;

can't imagine, that the 210 should only be accessible via USB/PC.

Do I have to initiate anything by the software on CD? Have not tried/ installed that yet.

Anybody who could lend a helping hand?, any hint is appreciated.

greetings from the sunny Southwest of Germany,

Tom

It is very easy to manually add a waypoint to the 210. Push the pushpin button on the lower left, then highlight what you want to change in the coordinate with the toogle stick. Then save the changes.

:laughing: thanks for the speedy reply! that's what I like forums for...

Tom