Caches damaged or lost by "The Great 2007 Noreaster"

weathernowcast

I know a lot of people are suffering from the flooding which is more important then a few caches. So I apologize if you or your friends and family have suffered any lose.

However, I am starting this post to see the impact of the recent flooding has been on the local caches that had been placed in flood plains. I found one on Sunday that I was sure would have floated away hours after I found it--but it is still there. My cache, which was safe and sound through Monday went underwater this afternoon.

My lost cache is currently disabled as it is now 12-24 inches of water. It is secured but it may likely have been taken downstream:

Along The Passaic: Elmwood Park

Edited by weathernowcast

Might be high up enough, I am still going to pull it and work on other placements --I think that might be the ideal location for the island picnic. <_<:o

I can not believe the extent of the flooding--Rt 23 still with water today.

There may be bridges wiped out in Paterson with debris coming down river.

Might be high up enough, I am still going to pull it and work on other placements --I think that might be the ideal location for the island picnic. <_<:o

I can not believe the extent of the flooding--Rt 23 still with water today.

There may be bridges wiped out in Paterson with debris coming down river.

23 was back open this morning

I live on the border of Bound Brook, NJ.. in the town of Middlesex. This area gets hit HARD when water levels in New Jersey begin to rise. I temporarily disabled all my caches that were anywhere near water. Last night I visited a couple of them to find that they survived ;) so I enabled only those caches. Until I confirm that all is well I'm assuming the worst.

1024_633124865688906250.jpg

<_<:o:)

I had planned to temporarily disable Find Briansnat's Ammo Can #3 before the storm but didn't have the time. I was sure it was gone. I checked on it today and its still there. However the river bank is very slick so take care retrieving it. I ended up in two feet of water ofter sliding in the mud. The cache contents are still dry even though I'm not.

I do have one I need to check on, after the floodwaters recede. (Of course, no one's found it in almost a year... :blink: )

Which one? :rolleyes:

Something Evil in West Dover

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not that one!!!!!!!! I was just going to go find it!

Did a maintenance run today. Everything is in good condition, even if the area is a bit muddy. :blink:

My A Walk In the Park is probably hanging in water right now. It's survived worse though. I really want to archive it, but I just don't have the gumption to go back there to pick it up. Maybe I'll cheat and take the canoe when the water levels receed a bit.

Aw! That was a good one! Keep that one going, I like reading the 'curse you, briansnat logs!'

Final tally:

Of 7 caches that were temporarily disabled immediately after the nor'easter, here's the various scenarios I encountered..

• 2 were completely unharmed (Crowell Cache & Lock No. 11 Cache)

• 2 needed to be dried out before being reactivated (Downtown / Main Street USA: South Bound Brook, NJ & Metal Micro Multi)

• 2 needed "replacement parts" (Between Willow and Oak & Johnson Park Multi)

• 1 was lost and archived (Agi's FIRST AID Box)

All-in-all not too bad!

:rolleyes::blink::blink:

Snow White, the dwarfs and The Evil Queen need to be replaced....hopefully we can get out there this weekend.

i have a few pics of the area of the park for evil queen and snow white park. Im trying to see a way to put in here.

Snow White and the 7 dwarfs are back up and ready for finding! They only one that had to be replaced was Grumpy (figures).

We have not yet checked on The Evil Queen.

Something Wicked.....has been lost, but we will replace it.

This cache we own (link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8d-8c312ec32f48 is almost certainly gone.

I'd probably archive it (it gets "wet" very often and I've had to dry the log a lot), but it's the only cache in my wife's hometown and she's begging to replace it. Hopefully it will be dry enough this weekend to check.

HMM, first time I ever quoted my own quote in a forum entry (which would normally be strange, but it fits here). As it turned out, we ended up archiving 2 of our hides (including this one I posted about) because the storm changed the hide area in a way that made it "unviable" anymore.

I know a lot of people are suffering from the flooding which is more important then a few caches. So I apologize if you or your friends and family have suffered any lose.

However, I am starting this post to see the impact of the recent flooding has been on the local caches that had been placed in flood plains. I found one on Sunday that I was sure would have floated away hours after I found it--but it is still there. My cache, which was safe and sound through Monday went underwater this afternoon.

My lost cache is currently disabled as it is now 12-24 inches of water. It is secured but it may likely have been taken downstream:

Along The Passaic: Elmwood Park

It survived and not in that bad of shape. Took it home to dry out and install an geocoin. I will replace container on Tuesday.