Liability question

fiatster

I was wondering about liability and placing a geocache. What happens if someone is injured retrieving a cache owned by me? I have a friend that will place an underwater cache for me. I think it would be a great time for any scuba diving geocachers but started to wonder if I could be sued if a geocacher was hurt while searching or retreiving the cache. That also led me to wonder about land placed geocaches.

I sure hope not. This is such a great pastime for indivduals and families it would really be sad to have to think about legal issues.

Mike

It's not like you forced them to look for your cache. It's out in the wild I assume any and all responsibilities for MY actions - you won't hear me whining if I got hurt, it's my responsibility to ensure that I took the best measures I could take.

Every time I hear someone say I'll get my lawyer involved - I'd love to take a stick and.......

So many people are sue happy and wanting to make that quick buck. Place the cache, and have pride in your placement, if someone gets hurt I will feel sorry but don't come looking for something from me unless it's a stick.

sigh now I feel better :(

I think it would be a great time for any scuba diving geocachers but started to wonder if I could be sued if a geocacher was hurt while searching or retreiving the cache.

Yes, you could be sued. In this country, people sue people all the time for various real or perceived offenses. Perhaps a better question is: is it a big enough concern to prevent me from placing a cache?

You may want to take a spin through this topic, it might make you feel better about the liability issue.

Then again, it might not. :(

I asked a similar question.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=119895&hl=

You probably need to bear in mind that you could get sued. People will sue. Could they win? -well maybe. The Groundspeak disclaimer (cachers assume all risks...) protects Groundspeak- not too sure how well it will protect players-but it couldn't hurt.

The above URL deals with property owners liability. The general consensus from the above thread is that this is a recreational sport and subject to recreational laws.

Also there has been some talk about getting fined/ jailed for placing a cache that is preceived as a threat to public safety-containing something dangerous or illegal which costs law inforcements agencies time and energy to deal with-so you need to keep these things in mind.

No one HAS to find a cache.

Edited by Luckless

As others have said, anybody can sue you for any reason. Even if you win, you are out the money you paid your attorney.

I've had three people that I know of who suffered significant injuries while hunting my caches. One serious enough to require surgery and a week of hospitalization.

One of them joked about suing me in his log. I know it was a joke, but considering the possibility, I

added the disclaimer below to most of my cache pages. The disclaimer on this website is meant to protect

Groundspeak. I know it probably isn't worth the pixels it's written with, but I figure it can't hurt.

297d25e4-b1a8-472f-ab4f-197f0a50639c.jpg

It's not like you forced them to look for your cache. It's out in the wild I assume any and all responsibilities for MY actions - you won't hear me whining if I got hurt, it's my responsibility to ensure that I took the best measures I could take.

Every time I hear someone say I'll get my lawyer involved - I'd love to take a stick and.......

So many people are sue happy and wanting to make that quick buck. Place the cache, and have pride in your placement, if someone gets hurt I will feel sorry but don't come looking for something from me unless it's a stick.

sigh now I feel better :(

You said it!

First lesson taught in law school: You can always sue. The real question is can you win, and if you win can you collect? Personally, I am more concerned about seeking a cache that has been placed in a bad location (e.g. clearly on private property w/o permission) than I am about my cache placement. I think being clear about potential dangers in the description is helpful, but I don't think that any warning or disclaimer will insulate you from liability. You just have to ask whether the potential liability is too great to continue geocaching. I think I risk much greater liability driving across town than I do geocaching.

That said,

DISCLAIMER:

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the internet. I am not licensed to give legal advice. I merely offer my lay opinion and my own considerations regarding geocaching. <_<

:o<_<

Speak softly and carry a big stick, eh???

I agree, it says it right there on the page that you assume responsibility and I'd like to think most geocachers are above that, although you never know.