Logging event finds

Velocity Racing

Last year I got a little more serious about geocaching. My wife and I started the year off by attending Wisconsin's Geo Camp Out and had a blast. It rained all weekend but my wife responded by saying "This is the most fun I have had being this miserable".

There were about 60 caches hidden in Door County's state park and we were fortunate to find 38. Since that time we have enjoyed several more smaller events finding numerous caches. We are again signed up for this years camp out next month at Hartman Creek.

If you were to look up our record you would find that we have found only 20 some caches while in reality it should read several times that. Is there a way to log in the finding of numerous caches at an event? Or is it proper etiquette to log an event as one found?

Bee

Last year I got a little more serious about geocaching. My wife and I started the year off by attending Wisconsin's Geo Camp Out and had a blast. It rained all weekend but my wife responded by saying "This is the most fun I have had being this miserable".

There were about 60 caches hidden in Door County's state park and we were fortunate to find 38. Since that time we have enjoyed several more smaller events finding numerous caches. We are again signed up for this years camp out next month at Hartman Creek.

If you were to look up our record you would find that we have found only 20 some caches while in reality it should read several times that. Is there a way to log in the finding of numerous caches at an event? Or is it proper etiquette to log an event as one found?

Bee

Most people log an event once as "Attended." We also do lots of activities at our events but it is all part of attending that event.

Bee

I would log an attended for the event and leave it at that.

If the site didn't ever review and list them here then you really have no place to log them.

I'm sure somebody else will differ with my opinion........

Bee

If you do a search of the Forums, you will find some very heated debates about the practice of logging Event caches more than once to account for finding unofficial caches at the Event. As near as I can tell, this practice is only accepted in a very small region of the larger Geocaching community.

It would be frowned on here, even if there were extra caches to be found at an Event.

Bee

Logging events multiple times is a common practice in many areas, many groups recycle monthly event cache pages and the regular attendees log a Find every time they attend, many areas have moving caches and they are logged multiple times. When the cache owner intends that a cache be found multiple times you should go ahead and log it multiple times, the practice of logging multiple finds is harmless and you are doing nothing wrong.

The practice of logging a Find for each temporary cache found at an Event creates no issues or problems and as you stated, "in reality" you have found every one of those caches. The caches are hidden for the event, the event is listed on gc.com and it is the intention of the cache hider to have the cache logged multiple times, very straightforward.

The gc.com guidelines are clear, it is all up to the cache owner and if they allow and intend that you log multiple finds then you are doing nothing wrong by doing so, it is how the site works. Etiquette is also clear, when in Rome do as the Romans do. If this practice is the commonly accepted way of doing things in your area then I can't think of a good reason why you wouldn't do it, can you?

In a few areas of the US it's not uncommon for people to log events multiple times for each unlisted cache found at an event. Wisconsin happens to be one of them. The practice however appears to be localized and is not common in most areas.

Here are my thoughts regarding this practice. You log an "attended" for an event and you can only attend most events once (there are some recurring events that recycle the page).

If you log multiple attendeds on temporary event caches you are circumventing the system. I find it absurd when I look at someone's profile and it says he's "attended" 500 events, when in reality he has only attended 50.

If the caches you found were individually listed on Geocaching.com, then by all means log them here. If they were not listed here then I don't think its right to abuse this website's resources to store logs for them.

If it were me I would log one "attended" for the event and list the individual temporary caches I found in that single log.

It's supposed to be about the fun you had, not the numbers. Did you have less fun finding these caches because you couldn't add a smiley?

If the caches you found were individually listed on Geocaching.com, then by all means log them here. If they were not listed here then I don't think its right to abuse this website's resources to store logs for them.

If this website considered multiple logs on a cache an abuse of the website, they would mention that somewhere don't you think?

Multiple logs are not an abuse of the system nor are you circumventing any design features. The site is designed to allow multiple Find logs. You can check with contact@geocaching.com directly, it is how the website functions, it is how it is designed.

I am not sure how briansnat arrives at his opinion that it is "abuse" or that you are "circumventing the system" when you are not, his opinion is in direct contradiction of the facts.

The suggestion that you should write a longer log containing all your adventures won't work. The gc.com website is designed to restrict the length of a log and if you go over the restricted length your log will be rejected, that is the way the website is designed.

The gc.com guidelines are clear, it is all up to the cache owner and if they allow and intend that you log multiple finds then you are doing nothing wrong by doing so, it is how the site works. If this practice is the commonly accepted way of doing things in your area, as it is in this area and many other areas, then I can't think of any good reason why you wouldn't do it, can you?

...If this website considered multiple logs on a cache an abuse of the website, they would mention that somewhere don't you think?

Multiple logs are not an abuse of the system nor are you circumventing any design features. The site is designed to allow multiple Find logs. You can check with contact@geocaching.com directly, it is how the website functions, it is how it is designed.

I am not sure how briansnat arrives at his opinion that it is "abuse" or that you are "circumventing the system" when you are not, his opinion is in direct contradiction of the facts.....

You are clearly entitled to your opinion and Briansnat his. But don't try and call your opinion a fact.

I too believe it to be an abuse of the system and a circumvention of the review/publishing process. My belief.

The flaw (my own characterization) that allows multiple logs doesn't make using it "right".

If you log an event cache as attended, does it count toward the total number of caches found?

Yes. People who have found the many, many temporary caches at a single event increase their total "Found It" count by that number. It shows up as having "Attended" 100, 200, 300, etc. Events.

But looking at the number in their Stat bar doesn't tell you how they acquired that "Found It" number . . . <_<

I don't understand how someone can click the "Attended" choice more than once . . . :o Just because it is accepted regionally doesn't make it the right way to do things . . .

The term puritan has been coined for those that want to restrict the use of the find count to one find per cache listed on geocaching.com along with other restrictions such as signing the log book. The puritans have a number of reasons for taking this stance. One is that if you allow exceptions to the puritans' rules, you start down the proverbial "slippery slope". If you allow logging of temporary event caches, why not allow logging other caches not listed on geocaching.com such as terracaches or letterboxes. Why not claim a find for anything, like where you left your car at the mall parking lot. The puritans believe that there should be some minimum requirement for using the found log or it is essentially meaningless. A small number of puritans are concerned with "cheating". Without a standard for a find, one cannot compare one person's find count with another's. Most puritans and others realize that geocaching is a light fun activity and any competition between cachers over find count is tempered by the realization that there is no mechanism to enforce the puritan definition of a find. The defacto way the geocaching.com website works is that you can use the found it log anytime the cache owner allows it. In some parts of the country, event hosts have allowed and even encouraged the use of multiple attended logs on events for people who find temporary cache hidden at the event. This is upsetting to many puritans who argue that this is morally wrong and an abuse of the found it log.

But don't try and call your opinion a fact.

I too believe it to be an abuse of the system and a circumvention of the review/publishing process. My belief.

The flaw (my own characterization) that allows multiple logs doesn't make using it "right".

It is a fact that they allow multiple logs, write geocaching.com and ask them, I have.

A fact is not an opinion, you are expressing an opinion when you call the considered decision of this listing service a "flaw". The real reasons for this deciding to keep this "flaw" are well rooted in reality.

As a cache owner you are also the content provider. After the listing hurdle has been cleared the website does not interfere with the listing because they do not own it, it belongs to the cache owner. Under the CDA the content provider is considered "legally responsible" for the content they contribute, you are entirely responsible for your cache pages. If the listing service decides to exercise control over the content of an active listing they run the risk of becoming the de facto content provider. It isn't a "flaw", it is a design aspect that has been chosen, it is my opinion that it isn't going to change but you are free to wait around for the "flaw" to be fixed.

What is far more likely to happen is that all the numbers will be filed off all the public records and only those who opt in will be able to see the numbers for others who opt in. The implications of a decision like that would be very positive for this activity.

The OP asked a simple etiquette question, is there a way to record the caches that they have found at events, the simple answer is yes, use this listing service and the Event cache page to do that. This is allowed by this website, this practice is the commonly accepted way of doing things in their area. If it is the method chosen by the event cache owner I can't think of any good reason why they shouldn't do it, can you?

The term puritan has been coined for those that want to restrict the use of the find count to one find per cache listed on geocaching.com along with other restrictions such as signing the log book.
It's funny how the term puritan has been twisted to apply to anyone that tells the truth. Logging that you "attended" any event more than once is not being truthful. <_< Edited by TrailGators

Personally, i think logging a single event, one that you can only physically attend one time, more than once is wrong and just plain silly!

My reasoning is that doing this flat out makes your stats incorrect. There's really nothing wrong with a person wanting to keep up with every single cache they find, GC.com approved or not. You may have indeed found X number of temporary caches but your stats are going to show that you attended more events than you actually did if you log them this way.

There is no place to record finds on temporary caches on the GC.com site. Seems pretty easy to understand, seeing as these caches don't meet the site guidelines and aren't even listable here. I just have to ask, why should i want to or be able to log any of these caches here on the site? <_<

If you log an event cache as attended, does it count toward the total number of caches found?

Yes. People who have found the many, many temporary caches at a single event increase their total "Found It" count by that number. It shows up as having "Attended" 100, 200, 300, etc. Events.

So if i understand this correctly, we go to an event and mark "attended" then our cache find number goes up?

If that is true than i dont think i will log anything for an event.

So if i understand this correctly, we go to an event and mark "attended" then our cache find number goes up?

You can still post a note and thank your host <_< .

Counting the attended log in your find count is an historic quirk. Originally, events were just like any other cache, you could log a Found It, Did Not Find, or Note. As the site developed other logs (Needs Archive, Need Maintenance) were added. TPTB added Will Attend and Attended logs for events and CITO events. Then removed the Found It for events (but not from CITO for some reason) Since the Find Count is a count of your Found It Logs, attendance at older events would be counted as a find, TPTB decided to count the Attended Logs along with Found It logs. (It deamed unreasonable to not count old Found It logs at events and make some people's find count go down). Even before the Attended logs, some people refused log Found It for Events. Some wouldn't log found it for virtual caches either. Each person gets to decide (with the cache owners' consent) when to log a Found It. Fortunately for the puritans, no one is forcing them to log multiple Atttended logs for events or even log one Attended log for an event. If you believe that this is a dishonest representation of your finds then don't do it.

I also think events are different animals, and shouldn't bump you find count. I log 'em with a note.

I also think events are different animals, and shouldn't bump you find count. I log 'em with a note.

I log them as "attended" because it's nice to click on my event icon to see/review the events I've attended. For example, I refer back to our paperless caching event from time to time. However, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they didn't include "attended" into the "find" count. <_< Of course if they did that all these people logging events multiple times would just log some cache multiple times, so it wouldn't stop that...

We do not think multiple logging of events is kosher, We are from wisconsin, and make it a point to not attend events that allow multiple logging, we have attended 2 that did, but spent more time talking to the attendees than searching for caches and did only log once after searching and finding some of the tempories.

Events in our minds, are more for the socializing and not for the numbers. how about once go to a event and actually talk to someone. meet some new friends, don't spend the 4 or so hours looking for tempories, that usually don't even have a log book to sign ( the 2 we were at had a sheet that you carried around with you and stamped it with the stamper in the cache).

There are teams in Wisconsin that are only in it for the numbers, the team with the most finds in Wisconsin is the ecorangers with 11128 of them they have 1445 event finds at 84 events an average of over 13 per event.

just our 2 cent worth

and why we will only attend events in Michigan (where multiple logging is not allowed) Go MiGo

If you do attend a event in Wisconsin and we happen to be there come chat with us, we will be there to meet you and others.

Sweetlife

This has gone back and forth with TPTB as well as people on the forums. The first couple of events We attended, TPTB suggested one log for the event regardless of how many caches were available to find. Later Geocaching.com recommended that the event hosts allow people to do multiple logs. (the belief being that TPTB had heard many requests that this be done) The last year or so, after the abbusive practice of pocket caches, TPTB (after reading many complaints on the forums) went back to suggesting one log per event.

I personally have followed the recommendations of the event host. Many of the caches we have found at events are much, much harder to find that the typical urban park and grab. Numbers mean very little, 1000 urban P&Gs might not involve as much effort as 10 or 20 caches that involve hiking or other activities in TRUE outdoors. An event in a rugged state park with 5 or 10 well placed caches is a lot more work than the urban P&Gs I refer to. If the event host says log these caches, then feel free to do it if you like.

I am not ashamed of the multiple logs I have done at some events, in fact they mean a lot more to me than the typical WalMart parking lot cache (I have found, and have logged some of them too)

Enjoy the caches you do, and log or don't log (it is up to you and the cache owner)

Thanks for the Adventures

This has gone back and forth with TPTB as well as people on the forums. The first couple of events We attended, TPTB suggested one log for the event regardless of how many caches were available to find. Later Geocaching.com recommended that the event hosts allow people to do multiple logs. (the belief being that TPTB had heard many requests that this be done) The last year or so, after the abbusive practice of pocket caches, TPTB (after reading many complaints on the forums) went back to suggesting one log per event.

I personally have followed the recommendations of the event host. Many of the caches we have found at events are much, much harder to find that the typical urban park and grab. Numbers mean very little, 1000 urban P&Gs might not involve as much effort as 10 or 20 caches that involve hiking or other activities in TRUE outdoors. An event in a rugged state park with 5 or 10 well placed caches is a lot more work than the urban P&Gs I refer to. If the event host says log these caches, then feel free to do it if you like.

I am not ashamed of the multiple logs I have done at some events, in fact they mean a lot more to me than the typical WalMart parking lot cache (I have found, and have logged some of them too)

Enjoy the caches you do, and log or don't log (it is up to you and the cache owner)

Thanks for the Adventures

If you didn't log any of those would you have had as much fun?

If the event host says log these caches, then feel free to do it if you like.

I agree with your assessment, that is the way this website is designed and that is the rule that was quoted when I checked with geocaching.com. It is up to the owner, gc.com never mentioned that it was an abuse of the system, a drain on resources or only possible because of design flaws in the website.

The website is fine, it isn't "flawed" because it doesn't suit my personal preferences.

My personal preference would be to see all the numbers made private, like underwear. The people who want to compete could opt in and compare numbers.

When I use the phrase "the numbers don't matter" I envision a profile where no numbers are public.

If there was no Find count and no Hide count then I can't imagine any valid reason at all why multiple finds at an Event would create a problem of any type for anyone, can you?

Your statement sums it up very succinctly, that is how it works and that is how it is supposed to work. If an event cache is listed on gc.com and there are associated temporary caches that the cache owner says you can log on the event listing page, then go ahead, you are not hurting anyone or anything when you log multiple finds on event caches. Obviously those hung up on the numbers see it differently.

I had just as much fun at each of the events, yes it shows I attended a couple of events more than once, but when I logged those they were listed as finds not "attended"

Next month we are hosting a Spring Picnic event in Indiana, and we are working with the local DNR naturalist, and with our local approver to have what could have been temporary event caches published as standard caches. It will be more work for us as hosts, but it will also avoid the kind of remarks being made about this.

Come to our picnic, attend the event, socialize, and find the multiple caches if you like. We are doing our best to please as many as we can.

Looking forward to new Adventures

I had just as much fun at each of the events, yes it shows I attended a couple of events more than once, but when I logged those they were listed as finds not "attended"

Next month we are hosting a Spring Picnic event in Indiana, and we are working with the local DNR naturalist, and with our local approver to have what could have been temporary event caches published as standard caches. It will be more work for us as hosts, but it will also avoid the kind of remarks being made about this.

Come to our picnic, attend the event, socialize, and find the multiple caches if you like. We are doing our best to please as many as we can.

Looking forward to new Adventures

I never did understand how you could "find" an event. Anyhow, now that they've gotten rid of the "Found it" on events and only have "Attended" would that change things for you?

I also noticed that on CITO events you can still log both "Found It" and "Attended." This is odd. It wouldn't surprise me if some people will figure this out and start logging a "Found It" for each piece of garbage they pick up off the ground. Of course, in that case getting extra smileys might motivate some to make the country a lot cleaner and we'd have to thank those people.... ;)

The OP asked a simple etiquette question, is there a way to record the caches that they have found at events, the simple answer is yes, use this listing service and the Event cache page to do that.

Can you do it is a technical question. Should you do it is an etiquette question.

I am not sure how briansnat arrives at his opinion that it is "abuse" or that you are "circumventing the system" when you are not, his opinion is in direct contradiction of the facts.

The system is designed to log caches listed on this website. Using existing cache listings to log caches that are not listed on this website is circumventing the sytem.

I never did understand how you could "find" an event. Anyhow, now that they've gotten rid of the "Found it" on events and only have "Attended" would that change things for you?

I also noticed that on CITO events you can still log both "Found It" and "Attended." This is odd. It wouldn't surprise me if some people will figure this out and start logging a "Found It" for each piece of garbage they pick up off the ground. Of course, in that case getting extra smileys might motivate some to make the country a lot cleaner and we'd have to thank those people.... ;)

As I said I was following the event host's instructions on what to do about logging. So the answer to your question would have to be ... No it would not change things.

The people that would log each piece of paper are the same ones that log pocket caches. For them numbers are the only thing. When I look back and see 10 logs for an event, I remember the fun I had finding what was put out, I dont think about how it looks to anyone else. If they think it looks odd, it was because thy were not there.

The system is designed to log caches listed on this website. Using existing cache listings to log caches that are not listed on this website is circumventing the sytem.
True. In fact, the latest version of the guidelines states: "Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted."
True. In fact, the latest version of the guidelines states: "Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted."

The relevant part of that last statement is "the latest version of the guidlines". Event hosts now should follow those guidlines as we are doing for the 2007 Spring Picnic in Indiana. We will be listing multiple caches that will become available on that day, and will remain as long as the park staff says they are not causing an undue impact.

Let's all relax and not cast judgement on people that have followed the guidlines in their earlier versions!

Edited by Gary and Mary Adventurers

The relevant part of that last statement is "the latest version of the guidlines". Event hosts now should follow those guidlines as we are doing for the 2007 Spring Picnic in Indiana. We will be listing multiple caches that will become available on that day, and will remain as long as the park staff says they are not causing an undue impact.

Let's all relax and not cast judgement on people that have followed the guidlines in their earlier versions!

I wasn't doing that. I was merely pointing that out for those may not realize that they will be violating the guidelines if they do it again. ;)

It's kind of funny. Under the heading General Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types the guidelines state

If you are placing a large number of caches to be published on the same date (for example, on the day of an event cache), please submit the cache pages for all of the caches at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a “note to reviewer” indicating that the cache is to be released on the date specified. This allows your reviewer adequate time to review the submissions or to arrange for help from another reviewer. (Note: Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted.)

Later on, under the Cache Permanance heading is the statement

If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

To me it seems the intent is that temporary cache placed for an event will not be listed on Geocaching.Com website but that you can still have temporary caches at your event if you bring printouts to hand out at the event. However the wording in two different places leaves much to be desired to make this clear. It brings up another question. Could an event host use the additional waypoints feature to list the temporary caches at their event?

I really appreciate all the replies I am getting. I believe in playing by the rules.

It does seem strange that you should get credit for finding an event but not for the number of caches you find at the event. I guess there is the ego thing going on here also. Large numbers mean something to some people. I guess I'm not one of those.

I sure agree with the statements about the enjoyment with meeting people at events and I hope to meet some of you.

Thanks Gary

It's kind of funny. Under the heading General Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types the guidelines state

If you are placing a large number of caches to be published on the same date (for example, on the day of an event cache), please submit the cache pages for all of the caches at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a "note to reviewer" indicating that the cache is to be released on the date specified. This allows your reviewer adequate time to review the submissions or to arrange for help from another reviewer. (Note: Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted.)

If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

To me it seems the intent is that temporary cache placed for an event will not be listed on Geocaching.Com website but that you can still have temporary caches at your event if you bring printouts to hand out at the event. However the wording in two different places leaves much to be desired to make this clear. It brings up another question. Could an event host use the additional waypoints feature to list the temporary caches at their event?

Is there an admin that can shed some light on this?

If you are placing a large number of caches to be published on the same date (for example, on the day of an event cache), please submit the cache pages for all of the caches at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a "note to reviewer" indicating that the cache is to be released on the date specified. This allows your reviewer adequate time to review the submissions or to arrange for help from another reviewer. (Note: Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted.)

I'm just a lowly moderator, but I think I can help. The guidelines only pertain to caches that are submitted for listing on this website. They do not address caches that are not listed here.

What the quoted sections of the guidelines here are saying is simply that if you are planning on hiding caches in connection with an event AND you want them listed on GC.Com, they must be "permanent" (the generally accepted definition of permanance with regards to cache placement is a minimum of 3 months).

So you can place temporary caches until your heart is content at events. You just can't list them here.

As far as logging them, that's between you and your conscience.

Could an event host use the additional waypoints feature to list the temporary caches at their event?

Once you list additional waypoints they become subject to the review process and must conform to the guidelines. If any don't, your entire event probably won't be listed. A reviewer can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I see it, if you do use the additional waypoints feature and they conform to the guidelines, I guess it would pass muster.

Edited by briansnat

I'm just a lowly moderator, but I think I can help. The guidelines only pertain to caches that are submitted for listing on this website. They do not address caches that are not listed here.

What the quoted sections of the guidelines here are saying is simply that if you are planning on hiding caches in connection with an event AND you want them listed on GC.Com, they must be "permanent" (the generally accepted definition of permanance with regards to cache placement is a minimum of 3 months).

So you can place temporary caches until your heart is content at events. You just can't list them here.

As far as logging them, that's between you and your conscience.

Thanks, I should have said admin or moderator. I just associate cache approving with the latter. ;) Anyhow, what you said makes sense, but it also means........"and the beat goes on" :P