Projecting an waypoint

I have a 60 Cx (and love it!!) and I recently discovered this feature - projecting a waypoint.

I was wondering if anyone is using this feature.

The only thing I can use it fore would be in conjunction with a topo map, when I know my position and I calculate the bearing to my next point - say, I am here, I want to go to point A, I can see on my map that point A is about 1000 meters away from here and the bearing is 264 degrees. This way I can project the waypoint A starting from my current position. I would find this useful especially when hiking at night or in whiteout/fog conditions when I cannot use the compass to take a bearing because of lower visibility.

Any other thoughts? Anyone using this feature?

Any comments are appreciated.

Laurentiu

I still haven't figured out (or even really tried to figure out) how to use the project a waypoint feature. I have the same GPS, so my method of doing that is to mark your current position as a waypoint, set your GPS to go to it offroad, and then walk away from it until you're at whatever heading, and whatever number of meters/feet away. Repeat as needed. Although, I really should figure out the project a waypoint method. Probably make the above process faster :D

Puzzle caches using projection are using a function already built into the GPSr. The question is why is the function built in? Much of what is in the GPSr comes from sailing (VMG, cross track, and other interesting numbers), so I'm guessing that projection also comes from there. But not being a sailor I don't know for sure.