Noob want's to get started but doesn't know how.

fiojam

Hi all.

I was wanting to get into this egocaching thing as it looks quite good fun.

I've read around a little bit and just bought my Garmin eTrex gps.

The thing is, I have no clue what to do with it!!

I want to go on a cache with the coordinates N 54° 09.468 W 004° 28.750. How do I put this into my garmin? I assume this is what I'm meant to do.

Can some kind person please help me :D

Not exactly sure of the specific instructions for your gps, but the easiest way I find to enter a specific way point is to push "mark" or whatever button does that function and then use the input keys to adjust the N and W position to the ones you require. Then all you have to do is give it a name, say OK and then push "Go To".

As I said, not exactly sure of your GPS, but my Dad has an etrex and I think "Mark" is achieved by pushing and holding the bottom button on the LHS.

Probably best to look at your instruction book. :D

HTH.

Hi I'm sure there's a 'Markwell' post on this but just for starters before the day runs out try this

1. Put sonme batteries in the unit!

2. Switch on your unit and stand/sit outside in an open space for upto 15-20 mins whilst it finds out where you are?

3. Once the sattelite has found you press enter firmly...you should now have a screen that shows a table with a small number at the top (probably 001)

4. Use the centeral toggle(CT) to press up and sideways until the number is highlighted

5. Press enter

6. Use the up and down bit of CT to name your cache

7.When finished press enter once

8. Toggle down to the co-ords space (will say your home co-ords - write them down you'll need them to register on geocaching.com) then

9. Press enter

10. Use toggle to enter the co-ords you want

11. Press enter the co-ords will be saved

12. Double check the co-ords (repeat 8-11 until corret!)

13. Scroll down and across then hit ent when "goto" is highlighted

this will return you to the main screen (and if still outside will update your location and give you data as to how far the cache is away from you?)

If you know where you are going to the start of the cache you can save power/battery life by switching the unit off until you are nerer the cache!

Best wishes and Happy Hunting

Minxyy

ps i struggled with my Garmin Info book too .......the children said give it here mum and went du du du and we were off!

Thanks both. Very helpful. I've found the garmin book quite tricky.

I think I've got it sorted now with your help.

Just another nobish question.

When you name your cache, what do you tend to name it? On geocaching.com, under the co-ords it says "use waypoint GC109GB. Do you name it as this or is this something totally different?!?!

Thanks both. Very helpful. I've found the garmin book quite tricky.

I think I've got it sorted now with your help.

Just another nobish question.

When you name your cache, what do you tend to name it? On geocaching.com, under the co-ords it says "use waypoint GC109GB. Do you name it as this or is this something totally different?!?!

no something different - the waypoint name is automatically assigned adn can't be changed. For example the name of cache GCYCWM is Sci-Fi Spaceship. The GC code is assigned by Groundspeak, Sci-fi spaceship is chosen by the cache owner.

On your GPS you can give the waypoint any name that you like. Some people tend to use the "GC" numbers as

the GPs name so they can tell which is which when several are loaded onto the GPS. Some Etrex units have a limit of 6 characters for the waypoint name so it is common to drop the leading "GC" characters.

On your GPS you can give the waypoint any name that you like. Some people tend to use the "GC" numbers as

the GPs name so they can tell which is which when several are loaded onto the GPS. Some Etrex units have a limit of 6 characters for the waypoint name so it is common to drop the leading "GC" characters.

Ahhh, I see. Good idea. These are all small things I'm sure I'll learn along the way. :D

usually call ours something a bit shorter than the cache name ie Secret Trail becomes secret etc

I have also put in a waypoint that I call 'CAR' so that if you are given a point to park in you can go to that first! And if you see an easier route back you don't have to retrace your steps??

If not when you get to the space you are going to park in Hit enter and then rename it 'Car2'

I always try and load a group of waypoints in a similar area in case one turns out to be a simple 'cache and dash' It leaves us something to do for the rest of the day! (alternatively I'll print out a number of cache sheets and the children will input them as we go along! Beware though we have ended up on some wild goose chases because we havn't double checked the co-ords!)

Have fun

minxyy