Cache Approval Waiting Period?

Links80

Hi all, I have placed my first cache! I did it on April 7/07 and informed Groundspeak the same day. I am not sure about how logn it takes for the cache to be approved. Can anyone let me know?

Thanks

Links

Not to be rude but the answer is in the guidelines you indicated you read when you submitted your cache page. The reviewers are volunteers and normally get to them within 72 hours. There are many factors that can cause this to take longer. If you can give me the GC# of your cache I can look at it and possible give you a better answer.

Edited by CO Admin

Hi all, I have placed my first cache! I did it on April 7/07 and informed Groundspeak the same day. I am not sure about how logn it takes for the cache to be approved. Can anyone let me know?

According to your profile you last logged in to geocaching.com on March 30. Maybe that's wrong... but how exactly did you "inform Groundspeak"?

Not to be rude, but under what account name was this cache submitted? 'Coz there's nothing pending under your account name. If you think you used the Links80 account name to submit your cache, please check your "My Account" page to see if there is a link to your cache in the "My caches waiting for review" section at the very top left. If there's nothing there, your submission did not go through. Also, did you receive an e-mail confirming that your cache report was received?

If you did NOT use the Links80 account name to submit your cache report, I'll ask my colleagues Captain Clorox and The Purple Dryer of Doom to stop by and provide further assistance.

I am wondering if there is something I am missing. I applied for my first hide on April 22 and it still has not been reviewed. I have been hitting refresh approximately every 2.3 seconds for 24 hours straight and nothing changes!

Ever hear the phrase "a watched pot never boils?" Quit refreshing your page and go enjoy doing something else.

Yes, your cache has slipped a bit past the 72 hour service goal for initial reviews by just a little bit. But remember it's a goal. I'm sure a volunteer will be along shortly to look over your submission. Thanks for your patience.

Well I did take bathroom breaks to evacuate my bladder of all the Mocahfrappachinoespressolatte hot cafe half laff tongue in cheek Venti's I was drinking all night. The double red Bull's with go pills are the only way I could have made it.

It is a ...joke... :lol: I did publish but I understand it takes some time to review.

Edited by gg7

I am wondering if there is something I am missing. I applied for my first hide on April 22 and it still has not been reviewed. I have been hitting refresh approximately every 2.3 seconds for 24 hours straight and nothing changes!

We used to do the same thing(2.3 second page refresh) for our university website whenever there was a remote chance of a weather related school cancellation! But, then again, it's true that a watched pot never boils.

I, too, have been waiting a bit for a cache I created on Saturday to be approved. So, I've been wondering ...what does a reviewer outside of the US (important!) check for?

I know that, inside the US, a reviewer might make sure it's not on a wildlife preserve or something like that, but is that really possible to do outside of the US?

In my area the reviewer is haggaeus. He appears to be based in the Czech Republic. I'm wondering if a reviewer in Central Europe needs to be able to read Polish, Czech, Slovakian, etc or ...? e.g. I'm kind of interested in reviewing caches and wondering what all is involved.

Hello Exocet, I checked your cache and it is properly waiting in the review queue. I am sure that Haggaeus will be along shortly to have a look at it.

Your cache is written in English, and Haggaeus has excellent English skills (as do you!). That fact, plus his knowledge of Central European languages, greatly contributed to Haggaeus being selected to join the volunteer cache reviewers group. Who knows, if caching in Poland ever takes off to the point where he is too busy and needs help, you may receive a visit from a Frog dressed as the Grim Reaper.

One tip: it will accelerate the review of your multicache if you use the "Additional Waypoints" tool to enter the coordinates for the actual cache location. If you are unfamiliar with that site feature, there are step-by-step instructions in the FAQ thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum. The FAQ thread also has a post discussing how to become a volunteer cache reviewer.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for hiding a cache in an area that needs more. :P

I should have excellent English skills as I happen to teach English as a Second Language and I originally hail from Portland, Oregon. :P

My Polish language skills are, on the other hand, not all that hot. I get by though.

BTW: While this is a vector-offset ...I'd really, really rather not post the exact coordinates for the cache. I'd much rather that people basically visit the viewpoint and then go (back, basically) about 100 meters to where the cache is at. If they skip the viewpoint, which I feel they might do if given the actual cache coordinates, the cache becomes a bit worthless.

Thanks for the advice, though. It's been quite awhile since I've created a geocache.

You do need to enter in the final cache location as an "Additional Waypoint" so that your reviewer knows where it is, and can check the location to make sure it meets the site's listing guidelines. For example, the final location could be in an off-limits location or too close to another cache... not an issue with your cache, but what about in the future?

To keep "secret" information like the solution coordinates of a puzzle cache or the final location of a multicache PRIVATE, simply mark the Additional Waypoint as "hidden." That way, the information is available only to you as the cache owner, and to site admins and volunteers. Other geocachers can't see your waypoint information unless you mark it to be public.

EDIT to add the following, relevant to the topic: Even though the Additional Waypoints tool has been around for more than a year now, this is still one of the top five issues that holds up the prompt publication of a new cache.

Edited by Keystone
Wow. Well, things have certainly changed since I last placed cache in 2002.

Yes it has. Back then Jeremy reviewed and published your first four or five caches, I did the last.

And now...... I see your latest has been published! Welcome back!

~erik~