Best camera for Geocaching?

I recently bought a new digital camera to use for Geocaching. It's a Pentax W20 and I used it a bit before deciding it wasn't the camera for me. It's waterproof, so i really liked that, but the picture quality was very poor, so today I exchange the Pentax for an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. This camera is shockproof (can be dropped on concrete from 5 feet) waterproof down to 33 feet and able to withstand below zero temps. I shot a few pics today and the quality is by far superior to the Pentax. If your looking for a good digital camera to go Geocaching, I strongly suggest this one.

What type of camera do YOU use while your out Geocaching?

I've got an Olympus C8080, which, although it's a great camera, is not very suitable for caching due to its large size and delicate nature. I was considering one of the Pentax waterproof cameras, either the W20 or W30, and I didn't even know about the Olympus 770 SW. I'll be watching this thread with much anticipation.

Love the idea of waterproof and shockproof, especially as I fell in a river whilst caching recently. As I contemplated the slippery crossing I realised the only items I had which weren't waterproof were PDA and camera.

Two features of my Canon A series camera that I couldn't be without are:

i) It takes AA batteries, so they can act as backup for GPS, Petzl etc

ii) It has a twist and turn screen, so I can hold the camera above my head, down low without lying in mud etc.

Although it's 3 years old the pics are great and I'll definitely replace it with something similar when the time comes.

Love the idea of waterproof and shockproof, especially as I fell in a river whilst caching recently. As I contemplated the slippery crossing I realised the only items I had which weren't waterproof were PDA and camera.

ii) It has a twist and turn screen, so I can hold the camera above my head, down low without lying in mud etc.

Although it's 3 years old the pics are great and I'll definitely replace it with something similar when the time comes.

Thats one thing I don't care about with most new digital cameras. These odd sized batteries cost a fortune. I understand with the Olympus I can take about 300 pics before the battery dies on me, so i think that will be enough for a day of Geocaching. LOL

Although not waterproof, I would second the Canon "A" series. I have an A-620 and love it for the reasons above and others. The only things I don't like are the poor red eye compensation and no sync cord for additional flash.

But, I love that both my Camera and GPSr use AA batteries. PDA and headlamp use AAA. MAHA recharger does both.

I like photography as well as caching and one leads to the other.

I carry around a Canon 300D to every cache I visit. My backpack has the camera in the bottom and caching bits in the top. perfect. :D

I have now got in the habit of taking a photo of the cache/cachesite as I left it. I have had one or two cases of caches getting trashed after my visit and so I have proof that I left it in good order.

me paranoid.... no - I know they are after me... honest :D

Canon SD550. Small, light, quick time to first shot, auto everything, about 150 pics at the highest res (7 mp), and I don't need to charge the battery very often.

Not water or shock proof, but it stays in a protective case in my camebak until I need it.

works for me.

I recently bought a new digital camera to use for Geocaching. It's a Pentax W20 and I used it a bit before deciding it wasn't the camera for me. It's waterproof, so i really liked that, but the picture quality was very poor, so today I exchange the Pentax for an Olympus Stylus 770 SW. This camera is shockproof (can be dropped on concrete from 5 feet) waterproof down to 33 feet and able to withstand below zero temps. I shot a few pics today and the quality is by far superior to the Pentax. If your looking for a good digital camera to go Geocaching, I strongly suggest this one.

There is no such thing as a Best Camera for Geocaching.

It depends more on how much some one is willing to be limited when they select a camera or on what their needs are.

My first choice in cameras when I go geocaching is my Nikon D50 with a 70-300MM lens. I also carry a 28MM Wide angle lens. This give me a better chance of getting a good photo of any wild life I may see along a trail. I use the D50 in the RAW format.

I also have an older Panasonic Dig Camera with a Leica lens, this one if very small a much more limited than the Nikon. This one I use more for urban caching when there really is not going to be much worth photographing.

untill 2 weeks ago we used disposable cameras. they are cheap, but having to use the whole thing before developing was the pits.

we got a Kodak C743 digital. priced right. lotta preprogrammed features, up to 5x zoom. you can shoot in b&w, sepia & then switch back into color. kewl. then with the memory card up to 350 shots if needed. downloadable as soon as we get home!

we are having lots of fun with it so far!

How 'bout the best of both worlds...

You may or may not be aware that there are several camera models that are actually GPS compatible. For example, a Nikon D200 with the appropriate cables will allow you to attach your GPS unit to the camera, and when you shoot, it'll record your coordinates into the .jpg (or RAW) file data!

Nearly all digital cameras record "EXIF" data when you shoot. This information includes the make of camera, your shutter speed, whether or not the flash fired, and on and on. With a GPS attached to a compatible camera, you can also record the location data.

This information doesn't just "show up" as you're regularly viewing the image, but most imaging programs can extract that data that's embedded in the file.

Neat, eh?

I use to use my Olympus 5060 because it had a wider wide-angle lens than other cameras, but it was big . . .

I purchased a Fujifilm E900 and have been very happy with the pictures. Plus its small size makes it more convenient to use even when scrambling around places like this:

5e72724b-962b-4462-b730-46ec3a1adaad.jpg

:D

It depends more on how much some one is willing to be limited when they select a camera or on what their needs are.

I agree. :D

My first choice in cameras when I go geocaching is my Nikon D50 with a 70-300MM lens. I also carry a 28MM Wide angle lens. This give me a better chance of getting a good photo of any wild life I may see along a trail. I use the D50 in the RAW format.

I also have an older Panasonic Dig Camera with a Leica lens, this one if very small a much more limited than the Nikon. This one I use more for urban caching when there really is not going to be much worth photographing.

I totally agree that there is no such thing as a Best Camera for Geocaching, but if you take into consideration the places that some of these caches are hidden, I would want something that can stand up to the elements. Personally I would love to lug around my Nikon D70S with all my lenses, flashes, Manfrotto tripod etc etc etc, but I sure as heck am not going to risk all that equipment. Personally I feel that the Olympus I recently purchased can stand up to any place (within reason) that I might go Geocaching.

To each his/her own of course!

You may or may not be aware that there are several camera models that are actually GPS compatible. For example, a Nikon D200 with the appropriate cables will allow you to attach your GPS unit to the camera, and when you shoot, it'll record your coordinates into the .jpg (or RAW) file data!

Nearly all digital cameras record "EXIF" data when you shoot. This information includes the make of camera, your shutter speed, whether or not the flash fired, and on and on. With a GPS attached to a compatible camera, you can also record the location data.

This information doesn't just "show up" as you're regularly viewing the image, but most imaging programs can extract that data that's embedded in the file.

Neat, eh?

And you forgot to mention how much the D200 is with all the attachments. LOL

untill 2 weeks ago we used disposable cameras. they are cheap, but having to use the whole thing before developing was the pits.

we got a Kodak C743 digital. priced right. lotta preprogrammed features, up to 5x zoom. you can shoot in b&w, sepia & then switch back into color. kewl. then with the memory card up to 350 shots if needed. downloadable as soon as we get home!

Keep in mind that capturing a nice photograph has more to do with the photographer than the equipment your using. You may be able to take some very nice pics with a disposable camera while someone who has an expensive DSLR, but no idea how to use it, might take poor pics.

It reminds me of the photo course I took years ago. The teacher asked me if I could play a Stradavavious (sp?) violin if he handed me one, since it was the most expensive violin in the world. No I thought to myself. He went on to say that you must learn to see the world as a photographer instead of focusing on the equipment.

My next camera purchase is going to focus more on my actual needs, than on my wants. My C-8080 is a great camera for wildlife photography, but because it's so heavy I rarely carry it. Because it's so delicate, those times I do carry it, it rides in a padded Pelican case. Because of these two drawbacks, I lose out on a lot of photo opportunities. If I had a small, fairly bulletproof digital that would go anywhere, I would have a lot more pictures of my adventures.

That 770 SW might fit the bill nicely. The practically non existant zoom (3x optical) is a drawback, but at 7 megapixels, I'll have enough data to play with that I can enhance the image later without loosing too much quality.

Although not waterproof, I would second the Canon "A" series. I have an A-620 and love it for the reasons above and others. The only things I don't like are the poor red eye compensation and no sync cord for additional flash.

But, I love that both my Camera and GPSr use AA batteries. PDA and headlamp use AAA. MAHA recharger does both.

I have a Canon A60. The AA batteries were a big key for me and most important was the option to change between manual controls, fully automatic, shutter priority and aperature priority. I couldn't find another digital in that price range that had that capability. I was a bit disappointed in the limited range of aperatures, but overall have been pretty happy with it. Takes great photos and I've knocked it around pretty good and it's still ticking after 3 years.

My next camera purchase is going to focus more on my actual needs, than on my wants. My C-8080 is a great camera for wildlife photography, but because it's so heavy I rarely carry it. Because it's so delicate, those times I do carry it, it rides in a padded Pelican case. Because of these two drawbacks, I lose out on a lot of photo opportunities. If I had a small, fairly bulletproof digital that would go anywhere, I would have a lot more pictures of my adventures.

That 770 SW might fit the bill nicely. The practically non existant zoom (3x optical) is a drawback, but at 7 megapixels, I'll have enough data to play with that I can enhance the image later without loosing too much quality.

I know , I know what people think of digital zoom... but..... the 770 SW does have a 5x digital zoom on top of the 3x optical. Also has a manomenter built in that gives you the depth underwater and altitude on the screen.

Keep in mind that capturing a nice photograph has more to do with the photographer than the equipment your using. You may be able to take some very nice pics with a disposable camera while someone who has an expensive DSLR, but no idea how to use it, might take poor pics.

It reminds me of the photo course I took years ago. The teacher asked me if I could play a Stradavavious (sp?) violin if he handed me one, since it was the most expensive violin in the world. No I thought to myself. He went on to say that you must learn to see the world as a photographer instead of focusing on the equipment.

I agree with what you are saying, to a point. The fact is, the 'high end' cameras of today have modes that make them as simple to use as a point-and-shoot and still get very, very good pics. As one learns how to use all of the features available, the pics get even better, but even in 'full auto', the pics are pretty awesome.

It's not like how we learned with manual 35mm cameras. If you didn't know exactly what you were doing with those cameras, the pics were horrible.

Edited by sbell111

I know , I know what people think of digital zoom... but..... the 770 SW does have a 5x digital zoom on top of the 3x optical. Also has a manomenter built in that gives you the depth underwater and altitude on the screen.

You don't need a digital zoom. You can zoom in later using photo editing software. On the other hand, the optical zoom is really important. One of my digitals has a 10X optical and it is very nice to have for photographing wildlife. :D

Neat, eh?

Where can a person find more info on this? I read about it in the geocaching book - but have seen little since then.

Neat, eh?

Where can a person find more info on this? I read about it in the geocaching book - but have seen little since then.

You can find a little more info under the info for the Nikon D200. http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=1700...p;disp=Features

You might try a photo website and asking about this feature. I strongly suggest www.nikonians.org and specifically the D200 user group:

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...;conf=DCConfID3

Hope this helps!

We have a Nikon D70 which is great for outdoors shots, especially if you want to take a pic of anything moving fast (ie: Birds in flight, deer running, etc).

However, since I am a dork and usually LEAVE the camera at home... I end up taking all my pictures with my camera phone.

:: Thunks his head ::

A high end camera does you no good if you don't bring it along. :-P

Edited by cfauld

I need to buy the 70-300 :D

I also cache exclusively with my D-50. Since I live in an arid environment, waterproofing is rarely an issue. I also have a cheap digital camera, but don't use it often. I prefer to take the time to find areas worthy of taking my camera out of it's protective case, before taking pictures.

Spots like this :D

th_DevilsChair.jpg

th_Holcomb-Canyon.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

I use a Fujifilm S5200. It is a 5.1 megapixel, 10X Z :D:blink: M camera. The only problem is, it decides what the subject is, and how to focus the shot. Works the worst on the long zoom stuff, but really well on regular stuff. Works pretty good on close-up shots too, there is a close-up selection you have to make for this feature. You also get to select the image capture size, (NNNN pixels X NNNN pixels) but remember, GC.COM reduces everything pretty small. so if just shooting for a cache page, save your memory, and select a small frame size from the menu!

Edited by Gator Man

I recently just purchased a Digital Rebel XTI and really love this camera. It is a 10mp and is loaded for the price. Plus all of my lenses on my 35mm Rebel are universal with this camera. However it is a little heavy to carry with all of the other additional lenses and probably wont lug it along on longer hikes. I would love to get a 28mm-300mm lense so I only have to carry one lense. For now I carry and an older Canon Powershot A70. All the Canon A series are great. The best thing I like about my A70 is it takes 4 batteries which is kind of a bonus. I can take plenty of shots and have the juice to spare. Plus if you get in a bind and need the AA's for your GPS, you are set. :D

I need to buy the 70-300 :( ...
You should take the plunge. I think that I take most of my pictures with my 70-300. It is really worth the purchase price. I will likely upgrade mine to one of Canon's IS telephoto lenses as soon as there is room in the budget.

I think your right, most of my photos would be shot using one of these type of lenses. I am thinking about going with the Tamron 28-300mm XR Di lense for my Rebel XTI. That would be great to have the telephoto and wide angle all in one lense. Now all I need to do is find that cache with $500 in it! :)

Heh... that's why I said, "For example..." :(

No, the D200 isn't for the average soccer mom, etc. It's a more serious camera for the more serious photographer. But a quick Google search will show you a number of other cameras that have this capability. I just did a quick search, and came upon this item that will attach to a variety of Sony cameras.

I'm a pretty serious photographer, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can keep a GPS attached to it. It'll be nice to have coordinates embedded into each shot. Technology is really amazing nowadays.

And you forgot to mention how much the D200 is with all the attachments. LOL

I guess it matters what you want the camera for. I dont know cameras but it sounds like most of you are discussing higher dollar cameras.

I have no desire to have a high dollar camera. I prefer something cost effective as I am not a photographer and my daughter touches stuff.

I agree with what "Juicepig" said earlier:

Something cheap, so that WHEN it gets smashed/drowned/crushed/stolen/dragged/twisted/trampled-by-horses its cheaper to replace

I just replaced my 5 yo digital camera today. I think it was a decent deal. Good enough for me to go geocaching anyways. Its 5MP 3xoptical and a name brand among other features. It was $75. I havent used it outside yet- but it seems ok and the reviews are pretty good.

Pentax Optio S...fits in an Altoids tin:

altoids.jpg

:) That's an expensive trading item :(

Me, I take my D70, generally with my 19-35 Tamron, or my 28-70 f2.8 Tokina. I prefer a wide angle when geocaching. I take the 28-70 if the light is lower. My 70-210 f2.8 Tamron is heavy, so I generally don't carry it if I am not out to take photos, when I carry my whole kit, which is composed of a 19-35 Tamron, 28-70 f2.8 Tokina, a 50 f1.8 AF-D Nikkor, and the 70-210 f2.8 Tamron (my primary sports lens).