Ignore List enhancement

TrailGators

It would be nice to be able to ignore cachers who send out trackable items and state "'Discovered it' logs will be ruthlessly deleted without warning or exception."
It wouldn't surprise me to see that those trackables end up mysteriously disappearing.

Can we please move the trackable discussion to another thread? I'd really prefer to get more opinions on getting the feature stated in the OP. :) Edited by TrailGators

I really like the ignore list and I have been using it more lately. I have noticed that the caches that I am ignoring are hidden by the same people whose caching style is a lot different than mine.

My ignore list is over 300 items and includes 3 people whose caches I avoid as well as certain types of caches. (Side thought: how big can a bookmark list get?)

The problem I see is that an ignore list (or bookmark list) is not a filter per se, it's just a static list with little more than cache names and optional comments. There are no owner names attached to the records. Of course, it functions somewhat like a filter on local searches.

Maybe Groundspeak could add the ability to create multiple ignore lists, and one of the list options would be all caches placed by a given owner? We can already search for all caches placed by a user, so it would seem easy enough to allow that to be converted into an ignore list. If they could make updating the list automatic, all the better.

I'll second that motion (or is that "second-hundred" that motion going by those who are for it)

Make that another "yes". We're hadicapped and need to ignore terrain rated > 2. We also would like to ignore all micros but be able to sort for certain ones later.

But before there are ANY new features, I'd sure like to see more servers so it doesn't take forever to plan our caching day and/or log one.

Thanks

I really pity those of you who need this feature.

And I pity those cachers who don't know how to use their GPS unit and I end up finding their caches over 50+ feet away (or not at all). Or those who just like to put caches in places I'm very uncomfortable going to.

Yeah, I would like this feature. There's only one cacher who's caches I ignore but there is one other who I would probably add to the list simply because his hiding style just doesn't mesh with my finding style :D (I'm not saying anything is wrong with his though).

Jared of AZBliss02

Edited by AZBliss02

I don't think I'd have a use for it but I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented if TPTB want to go along with it. Heck, if somebody wanted to ignore my caches I certainly wouldn't want them to have to be bothered by them. If they found my hides to be consistently worthless there's no good reason for them to annoyed and they should be able to ignore them.

However, I would also like to have a notice that only the hider/ignoree can see that lets that person know their caches are being ignored by x number of people. No need to get personal and tell them exactly who hates their caches but it would be good to know that their caches were being ignored. It would be a good wake-up notice to let them know that they might want to take a good look at the type or placement of their caches.

How many votes do we have to get to make it happen?! :D
Just one.

His --> d8694a01-3296-482a-864d-963873e38ba9.jpg

I haven't seen him in the forums for a long time. Based on his responses in the past, I don't think this idea would step on any toes. I don't think there would be a significant amount of resistance to it. I do think it is useful to all types of cachers. What I don't know is how hard it would be to implement.....So I'm crossing my fingers! Oh yeah, I almost forgot....PLEEEEEASE!!!! B)
Of course, in the past he has shown some amount of reluctance to implement features that duplicate what third party software already does. Since this is easily done with GSAK, I doubt that it will be very high on TPTB's list.

The impression I got is that "he" is less willing to do anything which supports offline databases. I don't see how GSAK doing it would have any effect on what the website does, but I do see that he wouldn't do anything that would make GSAK easier to use. The lack of ability to PQ archived caches is a prime example of this. Great website ... way too protective of cache data.

I vote yea - good idea.

Edited by FireRef

I would like to see it, however I would not want it to appear for anyone to see, including the cacher. I may ignore a user for a multitude of reasons, not just because I think their caches are cra**y. Just let me see a list of who _I_ ignore.

No use having any unnecessary hard feelings.

I'm glad someone bumped this request. I have someone who I'd like to ignore as well. I've been doing so manually, but they keep hiding new caches, so I keep having to redo the same housekeeping to not have to look at their junk. PLEASE implement this feature soon!

I'm glad someone bumped this request. I have someone who I'd like to ignore as well. I've been doing so manually, but they keep hiding new caches, so I keep having to redo the same housekeeping to not have to look at their junk. PLEASE implement this feature soon!

What does it mean to "bump" a request?

Bahb

What does it mean to "bump" a request?

Bahb

It bumps it from obscurity to the top of the "View New Posts" list. Threads fade away if nobody responds to them. Edited by TrailGators

Therefore I was wondering if an enhancement could be made to the site to give us the ability to visit someone's profile and hit an ignore button that allows us to ignore all of that person's caches with one click?

Well, for GPX files you can do that with GoogleEarthTweaker. The program converts them into kml files and allows you to ignore caches places by certain persons. So you won't see the "not-so-great" caches in Google Earth.

Screenshot:

http://blog.itsth.com/2008/03/04/trick-exc...g-found-caches/

Therefore I was wondering if an enhancement could be made to the site to give us the ability to visit someone's profile and hit an ignore button that allows us to ignore all of that person's caches with one click?

Well, for GPX files you can do that with GoogleEarthTweaker. The program converts them into kml files and allows you to ignore caches places by certain persons. So you won't see the "not-so-great" caches in Google Earth.

Screenshot:

http://blog.itsth.com/2008/03/04/trick-exc...g-found-caches/

You can do it with GSAK as well, however I want them removed from my PQs, so I can pull just the caches that are a lot more my style. I really think I have different tastes than some people and so I don't want to have their caches take up space in my PQs.

There seems to be a lot of support for this feature. I'm curious, what kind of caches do users want to ignore? While reading the thread I could find 2 specific examples:

1. Micros.

2. Placing caches in uncomfortable places to search.

For all those that voted yes, what is your specific reason? (Not that you need a reason to vote for this, I am asking so we all can make better caches...)

Thanks,

The Cooker

There seems to be a lot of support for this feature. I'm curious, what kind of caches do users want to ignore? While reading the thread I could find 2 specific examples:

1. Micros.

For all those that voted yes, what is your specific reason? (Not that you need a reason to vote for this, I am asking so we all can make better caches...)

Thanks,

The Cooker

It's micros at all for me. There are many fun micros and for the people don't don't like any micros you can already filter those out.

The best way to explain it is to give an example:

55377dd4-c5e0-4062-9a55-be9e8c04c2a2.jpg

This is a cache next to a dumpster behind a McDonald's. I have no desire to find any caches from anyone that hides these kinds of caches....

It would seem advantageous to also have the ability to hide ignored caches when viewing cachepage maps for, say "all nearby caches, that I haven't found"...maybe a tickbox feature much like the way you can turn on/off your own finds, various categories, etc.

It would seem advantageous to also have the ability to hide ignored caches when viewing cachepage maps for, say "all nearby caches, that I haven't found"...maybe a tickbox feature much like the way you can turn on/off your own finds, various categories, etc.
I couldn't agree more. I still don't know why they show up at all. If I wanted to see them then I wouldn't have ignored them all in the first place.

I really like the ignore list and I have been using it more lately. I have noticed that the caches that I am ignoring are hidden by the same people whose caching style is a lot different than mine. Some of these people have hundreds of caches, so it would take a very long time to ignore all of their caches one by one. Therefore I was wondering if an enhancement could be made to the site to give us the ability to visit someone's profile and hit an ignore button that allows us to ignore all of that person's caches with one click?

Since the ignore list is a bookmark list, we could always go back and un-ignore any cache that was recommended. Thanks. :)

Here's the problem that I have with using an ignore list.

Using an ignore list is just a reactive approach to dealing with an issue that has become quite pervasive. Too may micros? Just ignore them. Too many puzzle caches in your area? Just ignore them. Too many lame hides by a certain CO? Ignore them.

The problem is that ignoring a certain caching style doesn't have any impact on reducing that caching behavior. I remember when spam first started to hit the internet and even when the first serious computer viruses started showing up. The response often was "well you can just delete the spam or the messages you don't like" or "you just need to install a virus/malware/spam detection program". We'll, the fact that I'm going to be spending the next couple of days rebuilding my laptop (on which I keep virus definitions and firewall as up to date as possible) due to an intrusion tells me how well that approach is working out.

Rather than just putting your fingers in your ears to caching behavior that you don't like there *are* some proactive things that can be done that might have a positive effect on reducing that behavior.

Set a positive example. If new geocachers see lots and lots of lame micros that's probably what they're going to hide when they decided to start placing their own caches. If more people started placing "better" caches the precedent of high quality containers hidden well in interesting places would be what new cachers saw. If more people took the time to show new cachers the ropes and how to place a quality cache then perhaps new geocachers would be better informed about what makes a good cache when they place there own.

I can see where some might like the style of a certain cacher, but we just don't care for his hides. His coords seem to be off quite a bit, but he also seems to do this intentionally; not a new cacher, by any means. We initially thought we'd never find a use for the ignore feature, but it's becoming clear that it is a waste of our time to ignore all these caches and ends up with us feeling angst towards a person that's probably pretty nice. If we ignore his caches, we're not feeting any resentment and we're not wasting time :anitongue:

We would also like this feature!

I really like the ignore list and I have been using it more lately. I have noticed that the caches that I am ignoring are hidden by the same people whose caching style is a lot different than mine. Some of these people have hundreds of caches, so it would take a very long time to ignore all of their caches one by one. Therefore I was wondering if an enhancement could be made to the site to give us the ability to visit someone's profile and hit an ignore button that allows us to ignore all of that person's caches with one click?

Since the ignore list is a bookmark list, we could always go back and un-ignore any cache that was recommended. Thanks. :anitongue:

Using an ignore list is just a reactive approach to dealing with an issue that has become quite pervasive. Too may micros? Just ignore them. Too many puzzle caches in your area? Just ignore them. Too many lame hides by a certain CO? Ignore them.

The problem is that ignoring a certain caching style doesn't have any impact on reducing that caching behavior. I remember when spam first started to hit the internet and even when the first serious computer viruses started showing up. The response often was "well you can just delete the spam or the messages you don't like" or "you just need to install a virus/malware/spam detection program". We'll, the fact that I'm going to be spending the next couple of days rebuilding my laptop (on which I keep virus definitions and firewall as up to date as possible) due to an intrusion tells me how well that approach is working out.

Rather than just putting your fingers in your ears to caching behavior that you don't like there *are* some proactive things that can be done that might have a positive effect on reducing that behavior.

Set a positive example. If new geocachers see lots and lots of lame micros that's probably what they're going to hide when they decided to start placing their own caches. If more people started placing "better" caches the precedent of high quality containers hidden well in interesting places would be what new cachers saw. If more people took the time to show new cachers the ropes and how to place a quality cache then perhaps new geocachers would be better informed about what makes a good cache when they place there own.

Concur, but be warned, the defenders are lurking.

Since the ignore list is a bookmark list, we could always go back and un-ignore any cache that was recommended. Thanks. :anitongue:

Concur, but be warned, the defenders are lurking.

If you look at this logistically there is no way people can place enough well thought out caches to balance things out. So instead of trying to do something impossible why not just let people hit a button to balance things out in their own caching world? Also this solution is supported by the defenders because it follows a live and let live philosophy.

I not only use the ignore list for cachers whose caches I don't like, I also use it for caches that I have found as member of a team (and logged as such). Some have been found years back and I can't remember :unsure: .

I'm not really mind doing it all manually by hand. What really is a pain is that they are still shown on the map. The map is able to pick up my found ones (smilie), it would be nice if it also would consider the ignore list and don't show them.

So, yes, please some enhancement on the ignore list.

I'm not really mind doing it all manually by hand.
Just wait until you run into a cacher that has hidden hundreds of caches that you prefer to ignore.

What really is a pain is that they are still shown on the map. The map is able to pick up my found ones (smilie), it would be nice if it also would consider the ignore list and don't show them. So, yes, please some enhancement on the ignore list.
I agree. This needs to be fixed.
I'm not really mind doing it all manually by hand.
Just wait until you run into a cacher that has hidden hundreds of caches that you prefer to ignore.

A fun thing to do on a 'bad weather' day!

I would be more perturbed by the fact that my list would soon fill up.

The map would be a bugger to program with the ignore list. I've said this before, not sure if it was in this thread, which keeps getting bumped. :D It does show your finds, but those are available to surf on the web for anyone that doesn't even have a geocaching.com account. Going into an individuals premium member only ignore list is another thing. Besides, I rarely use the Google map locally, and it's kind of fun to look at it, and see 400 unfound caches, most of them all along major commercial strips. :laughing:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

This is the sort of web site feature request I like -- those who want to use it get the value and those who don't want to use it are not affected one iota. Based on that alone I'd like to use see it. I'm doing most of my filtering in GSAK right now mainly because I haven't found any cachers yet where I want to ignore ALL their hides, but there are some that are close.

Edited by DanOCan

We have a couple of cache hiders that by the looks of things hide and mark the cache location in a matter of 20 seconds. None of the caches have been within 50-70 feet of the given coordinates. Plus, they never perform any maintenance on caches that have been found that are in dire need of repair. I spend too much time going through the newly posted caches and clicking the ignore button. I would love to be able to permanently ignore all their cache hides.

Since the ignore list is a bookmark list, we could always go back and un-ignore any cache that was recommended. Thanks. :huh:

Can't we do both? It is possible to set a positive example by placing good hides, joining the forums and clubs and attending events. If you decide that someone is set on doing hides that you don't like, it is OK to ignore them. On the other hand, just because someone's caches end up on my ignore list doesn't automatically mean that they are "bad", "wrong" or "undesirable" for Geocaching as a whole. It can be about personal preference as well. :huh:

On the other hand, just because someone's caches end up on my ignore list doesn't automatically mean that they are "bad", "wrong" or "undesirable" for Geocaching as a whole. It can be about personal preference as well. :huh:
Exactly. It's all about getting our PQs with caches we prefer. Getting rid of what we don't prefer is the easiest way to get there. :huh:

Here is it 2 years after the first posting on this topic and we still can't ignore specific hider. There is one cacher here who hides caches everywhere but can't maintain them and doesn't respond to logs requesting maintenance. I don't like these hides. I've ignored lots of them, but there are hundreds. I've filtered the hides out of GSAK.

But I want them gone from my geocaching.com page. When I click on "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)" they show up. I can't get rid of them and now have to go thru pages before I start getting to caches I want to look for.

I use gc.com to put caches directly into my GPSr (Delorme PN-40), so PQs and GSAK don't do what I need done.

Please reconsider letting us ignore a specific hider. Thanks!

Count me in as well. I have a couple of hiders who caches I have not enjoyed and I'd like to be able to ignore them en masse as well.

As a tangent, I'd like to also like to bump this thread and tie them together.

I think it might be helpful to see how many people are ignoring your cache since you can see how many people are watching your cache. It doesn't need to be shown to the public, just the cache owner.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but I see the two requests working together.

Have to agree with Kealia here, both features should be added ASAP.

1. Micros.

Thanks,

The Cooker

It's micros at all for me. There are many fun micros and for the people don't don't like any micros you can already filter those out.

The best way to explain it is to give an example:

55377dd4-c5e0-4062-9a55-be9e8c04c2a2.jpg

This is a cache next to a dumpster behind a McDonald's. I have no desire to find any caches from anyone that hides these kinds of caches....

Ditto. There are cachers around here who enjoy hiding caches like that. Worse, one in particular won't even check on them if the whole town knows they're muggled.

So, I vote yes.

I support the idea of a ignore cacher list!

I have a local that everyone praises like he invented the gps signal.

Most of his caches are lame mircos and once they need maintence he just archives them.

The reason people like SOME of his hundreds is because once every two months he makes a good one.

I just dont have the time to find out which type its going to be.

The most fascinating part of this thread is that it is 2 years old and noone from Groundspeak has even commented. For being ex-military, I'm really surprised at Jeremy's inability to communicate effectively with his customers.

Here we are at .net 2.0 and we're still waiting for a lot of the functionality that was suppose to be included. The problem is not whether we as customers can choose to ignore other cachers, its why we are being ignored from TPTB.

My 2c

Good thread to drag back to the top. This is a feature that would make filtering caches faster, easier, and more effective. In short, a very helpful addition should it come to be.

For those who ask why it is because there are users out there who have never added any cache to this game that I'd want to find. To be able to ignore all of their many scenic dumpster vistas and repetitive no need for a GPS receiver, lame, wet, film can caches with one click would be great.

The Taskmasters generally prefer to stay in the shadows, but we must come out in support of TrailGators' proposal.

Speaking with regard to North County (and Temecula), we are seeing exactly what NYPaddleCacher predicted: lots of barely thought-out caches by new cachers (meaning, roughly, 2006 and after) who "grew up" on such things and don't really know any better. They then go out and place caches whose only intent seems to be to pad numbers, and it's the Dumpster-behind-the-McDonald's or the dreaded LPC all day long. They stick an Altoids tin with a scrap of paper in a location with what I consider no redeeming value or interest...because it's all that's available...because there are so many quickly placed, poorly conceived caches out there.

I would like to be able to ignore certain cache-placers because a) I find no art in their placement of what are essentially doorknob caches, :unsure: I see no challenge in their supposedly difficulty 3.5 puzzles, or c) because they specialize in putting out simple caches so their friends can "beta find" them and claim a first-to-find, which is a terrible form of nepotism that never should have found its way into geocaching. A different thread there, I know. ☺

The Taskmasters generally prefer to stay in the shadows, but we must come out in support of TrailGators' proposal.

Speaking with regard to North County (and Temecula), we are seeing exactly what NYPaddleCacher predicted: lots of barely thought-out caches by new cachers (meaning, roughly, 2006 and after) who "grew up" on such things and don't really know any better. They then go out and place caches whose only intent seems to be to pad numbers, and it's the Dumpster-behind-the-McDonald's or the dreaded LPC all day long. They stick an Altoids tin with a scrap of paper in a location with what I consider no redeeming value or interest...because it's all that's available...because there are so many quickly placed, poorly conceived caches out there.

I would like to be able to ignore certain cache-placers because a) I find no art in their placement of what are essentially doorknob caches, :cool: I see no challenge in their supposedly difficulty 3.5 puzzles, or c) because they specialize in putting out simple caches so their friends can "beta find" them and claim a first-to-find, which is a terrible form of nepotism that never should have found its way into geocaching. A different thread there, I know. ☺

Thanks for the entertaining contribution.

The only part where my opinion differs is your characterization of 2006+ cachers as "new". Since I fall into the 2006 category (and know several others that also fall into that category) I think I'm qualified to say that if someone has been geocaching for 3 years and is still tossing out LPCs and dumpster caches, it's not because they dont know any better, it's because that's the kind of game they enjoy playing. Being new might be an excuse for a short while but eventually it has to be a conscious decision.

A one-click-to-ignore-a-cacher feature sounds like a useful addition.

And once we have that feature how about a screen that shows who has me on their one-click-ignore list. That might be fun. :unsure:

Add my vote in favor of this enhancement as well.

I wouldn't mind if a cache owner also saw that their cache has a "Being Ignored" count on it as well. If I had enough of them on my caches then I'd archive them and let someone else have at it.