Garmins with Autorouting

French.

How many of you are using your handheld for routing (instead of a dedicated car GPS)? Do you find that having the unit beep at you and then flash directions is sufficient, or do you find you miss turns, or worse, that you aren't paying as much attention as you should be to the road?

I have a Nuvi, which I think is overkill. So I've been playing with the Vista CX for autorouting and I'm not feeling the love here, either. There are several different screens but for me, I think the biggest challenge is going from watching the road, to trying to zero in on such a small screen to see if I'm supposed to be turning left or right.

One thing that would be really helpful is if one of the data fields could be "next turn". That way, at least I would see an arrow that would show the direction of my next turn so I would be prepared. I find trying to look at the numbers to see how much further until my next "instruction" is difficult.

I'm just wondering how you like using it for autorouting, and what screen(s) you prefer being in. Highway is neat, but not much detail. I don't know what the name of the screen is, but you can go into the written directions, and then you can actually highlight the actual current direction and it displays the intersection turns only from there...but that's not quite enough detail. Following the road in map is cool, but frankly I can't read a darn thing on the map so I'm at the mercy of the data fields above anyway.

I'm just thinking, in an unfamiliar area, having it beeping at me and then me trying to look at the screen, plus pay attention where I'm not familiar...and god forbid I miss a turn and it has to recalculate, could be a little overwhelming.

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?

I use a GPS V. The main issue is that it's relativly slow. If I miss a turn (intensionally or not) it can take longer to recalcualte my route than it takes me to miss the next turn since I don't yet know it's my next turn.

Other than that, it works fine. Especially if I'm using it for directions instead of ignoring it while trying to get close to a cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I can really identify with the problems you are describing! However I still love the capabilities of the unit (mine is a 60CSx) when autorouting.

I don't think you can have a "next turn" option in your data fields. The nearest is "turn" which gives the turn in degrees left or right. Not very good to quickly glance at and know what it is telling you. You can also have "waypoint at next" but this describes the name of the next street (I think) and the text is way too small to help.

Have you tried autorouting with the Turn Preview screen displayed? This will show you the next turn as a white arrow superimposed on the purple route, the distance and estimated time to the turn. You can choose the level of zoom. I can't remember if it will stay on this screen or if it will automatically jump back to the map screen.

The other option is to leave the the unit in map view, disable Turn Preview and zoom in more (say 120ft or 200ft) so that when you glance across at the time of the second approach beep you can see the junction more clearly.

It is a case of trial and error, and to be honest I use a mixture of the above approaches, depending on if I'm in the city making frequent turns, or out in the wilds.

Wow...thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies.

Maybe part of my problem is where I have my unit. I don't care for it on the dash as it blocks my view, but at least on the dash the amount I have to move my eyes isn't so much. I have been using it in a cup holder which sits down and to my right a little (I have an arm that extends up so it's not on the floor or anything).

I never though about using "next waypoint" for the next street name, and I could set up the data field to be one long field across so it might be easier to read.

But you all are making me feel better about getting more comfortable with just the handheld unit. And that could be what it boils down to...I just need to give it time to get used to it.

Any other thoughts you might have on how I can make it work better for me, please share.

I have noticed that with the Vista, it doesn't recalculate as quickly as I would like, but it's not the end of the world. On "best", though, it takes a solid 10 - 12 seconds to do a recalc. I might try putting it back a level to see if that helps improve response.

Have any of you used yours in a real congested area that you aren't familiar? How did it perform and how comfortable were you following it in that environment?

Maybe part of my problem is where I have my unit. I don't care for it on the dash as it blocks my view, but at least on the dash the amount I have to move my eyes isn't so much. I have been using it in a cup holder which sits down and to my right a little (I have an arm that extends up so it's not on the floor or anything).

I never though about using "next waypoint" for the next street name, and I could set up the data field to be one long field across so it might be easier to read.

But you all are making me feel better about getting more comfortable with just the handheld unit. And that could be what it boils down to...I just need to give it time to get used to it.

Any other thoughts you might have on how I can make it work better for me, please share.

I have noticed that with the Vista, it doesn't recalculate as quickly as I would like, but it's not the end of the world. On "best", though, it takes a solid 10 - 12 seconds to do a recalc. I might try putting it back a level to see if that helps improve response.

Have any of you used yours in a real congested area that you aren't familiar? How did it perform and how comfortable were you following it in that environment?

I have been using a handheld GPS for auto routing for six years now, first with a GPS V and then a year ago upgraded to the 60CSx. I travel frequently on business, to many new customers and clients all over the country and I always take my GPS with me, in my own car and in rentals.

Part of your comfort level will come from experience. I always keep in mind that the GPS may not take me the **best** way, but it has always gotten me to my destination. The GPS, regardless of which one you choose, is not perfect so you can't turn off your own common sense when using one to navigate.

Quality of maps can be an issue, especially when new roads are involved. I am still using my original set of City Select v4.1 (nearly six years old) and they work for me 95+% of the time. The other 5% of the time I have to rely on my own nav sense and the compass pointer.

One suggestion to consider - mount the GPS to the windscreen on the left side of the steering wheel (the right side if you are driving "british"). The GPS will be less obstructive of your view, the screen is closer to you and easier to read and the buttons easier to reach. If you want to run on car power vs batteries you will have to find a power cord long enough to snake under the dash and then up along the A column so it doesn't get tangled in your feet or the wheel. BrianSnat has several pictures posted on the forums of a nifty and inexpensive dash mount that he uses (mounts to the dash, not the wind screen).

I have had my share of frustrating moments using my GPS for navigating, but as I said, in the end it has always gotten me to my destination.

I didn't bother buying a mount with mine(60cx). I have a little air vent just left of the steering wheel so I put a electrician tie there and simply clip the unit to it. This keeps it right next to the steering wheel and keeps the dash cleared. It is almost in line with the side mirror. Have to say the position could make the difference for you. I have used it so far in all kinds of driving situations with turn preview window poping up and love it. Before I start a trip I look at the turns I will make just so I have a mental note. I also use the map screen at a zoom of about 800ft. This way I can all the roads and know of upcoming turns. I would say try different things and you should be fine.

Edited by Bus36

I can really identify with the problems you are describing! However I still love the capabilities of the unit (mine is a 60CSx) when autorouting.

I don't think you can have a "next turn" option in your data fields. The nearest is "turn" which gives the turn in degrees left or right. Not very good to quickly glance at and know what it is telling you. You can also have "waypoint at next" but this describes the name of the next street (I think) and the text is way too small to help.

I can change a data field on my 60CSx to “Distance To Next”, that will display distance to next turn. The display on you Vista Cx might be a little hard to see while driving compared to a 3.5” or larger display on a dedicated automotive unit.

How many of you are using your handheld for routing (instead of a dedicated car GPS)? Do you find that having the unit beep at you and then flash directions is sufficient, or do you find you miss turns, or worse, that you aren't paying as much attention as you should be to the road?

I have a Nuvi, which I think is overkill. So I've been playing with the Vista CX for autorouting and I'm not feeling the love here, either. There are several different screens but for me, I think the biggest challenge is going from watching the road, to trying to zero in on such a small screen to see if I'm supposed to be turning left or right.

One thing that would be really helpful is if one of the data fields could be "next turn".

The Turn By Turn screen does a pretty good job of doing that. I use it in tight unknown routing areas. I think it's called TBT; could be something else.

I mount mine right at the bottom under the rear view mirror (Ram suction mount), easy to see yet it doesn't reall block anything. Don't have to move my head, just my eyes. I find the 60CSX works great for autorouting, the warning turn screen pops up well in advance and then a second warning pops up within 100m of the turn. while driving, sometimes i'll just page over and get a heads up on the next turn (distance, direction and name of street). And I don't usually panic if I do make awrong turn, it recalculates and puts you back on track.

When I'm in a city environment and the turns are coming up quickly, I can find the turn preview screen a bit confusing (because when it pops up for the second time, you aren't actually on the screen yet). I either press "quit" to take me back to the map screen, and I can immediately locate myself in relation to the upcoming turn, or I disable the turn preview screen so I just stay with the map screen even when the warning beeps come.

I use the original Quest for caching and trails and in the car. It really leaves little to be desired for both uses. I have a GPS V that was great in its day, but the voice prompts and rapid calculation and recalculations are things I would not do without today. I mount the Quest directly on the steering column where it only obstructs my view of the shift indicator and the bottom of the speedometer, neither of which cause me any problems. In other cars, it sits on the dash with a beanbag mount. I usually use a short external antenna which eliminates all signal acquisition and lock issues. I couldn't be happier with it.

French

Can't understand how you think the Nuvi is overkill, and then you complain about the other units capabilities.

Use the Nuvi for its intended use on the road, use the handheld on the trail in your hand. You will be a much safer driver.

That is what I do!

LeonW :D

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?

I don't think there is anything to beat integrated SatNav - it probably added close to a thousand pounds to the purchase price of out Toyota, but I would do it again without hesitation. If, by "dedicated car GPS" you mean one of the aftermarket Garmin units specifically built for automotive use, then I guess that the distinction between than and a handheld is slightly less.

Voice guidance is certainly important, but I still find myself looking at the screen at complex junctions - the instructions are often simply not suficiently explicit to be sure and in an urban environment with a GPS accuracy of perhaps thirty or forty feet at times, that "turn right now" instruction may be misleading. Many years ago, with our first in-car GPS, my wife and I attempted to allow it to navigate us across Paris - we were lucky to hit France! On the Periferique you have off-ramps spaced by ten or twenty feet at times and driving on voice instructions alone you can end up anywhere...

I carry my Vista Cx around with me most of the time and have used it for in-car navigation in our old 4x4 which does not have integrated. It works OK, but certainly not ideal. On the other hand, it is possible to pick it up and use it on foot, which you cannot do with most dedicated car units. I find that, apart from Geocaching, the Vista comes in for almost as much use for navigation on foot. We went to Paris for a day out and it was wonderful to get us around sightseeing.

In the end, it all depends on your budget - as is often the case. If your primary reason for owning a GPS is geocaching (or some other outdoor activity) then you have to have a handheld unit. Then its just a question of whether or not you can run to the dedicated in-car unit as well or feel obliged to be responsible and live with the one unit...

Martin

I don't think there is anything to beat integrated SatNav - it probably added close to a thousand pounds to the purchase price of out Toyota, but I would do it again without hesitation. If, by "dedicated car GPS" you mean one of the aftermarket Garmin units specifically built for automotive use, then I guess that the distinction between than and a handheld is slightly less.

I think that buying integrated satnav from the manufacturer is a Bad Idea on par with buying high end stereo package from the manufacturer.

Massively overpriced for what you get.

Also the Highway screen on the 60csx is VERY nice and can help you to have an at a glance whats next...and on the 60csx there is a screen that will give you the turn by turn description and hides the previous steps so you can look at that screen and know that in X miles you need to make a turn.

That one is extremely useful since it shows the next 3 turns ahead so you know in advance if after the next turn, you should keep left or right. I have the pages on my 60CSx set up so that "PAGE" will switch from map view to that turn-by-turn list and "QUIT" switches back. When on the turn-by-turn list page, you can use the cursor to highlight one entry and with "ENTER" you'll see the intersection close up.

Jan

I have both (see my sig) and the voice navigation and larger screen are much better for car navigation. With voice guidance most of the time you do not have to look at the screen. When you do need to look a larger higher resolution screen is much easier and safer.

I use a 60CSX for autorouting in the car. I have no prob at all with it and in fact I prefer the beeping to voice directions. That would drive me crazy.

I don't see an issue glancing down at the screen (No different than checking radio station) and I like the way the turns show up larger and superimposed over the main screen.

I tend to keep it on the highway screen because I have my distance to next and distance to destination data fields on that screen and I have the data fields turned off on the map page.

The only issue I have had with my Garmin 60Cx and street autorouting is that there is no way to increase the distance from where the unit beeps. If you are going at a good rate in your car, the beep to turn can be a bit on the too late point if you are not eyeballing the map a lot.

French

Can't understand how you think the Nuvi is overkill, and then you complain about the other units capabilities.

Use the Nuvi for its intended use on the road, use the handheld on the trail in your hand. You will be a much safer driver.

That is what I do!

LeonW <_<

I don't travel outside of "my home area" all that often. This is why I am saying the Nuvi is overkill. If I regularly traveled out of state the Nuvi would more than pay for itself and be justifyable. And in a pinch, in a heavily congested area with lots of quick turns, I can always try VZW Navigator. As long as I'm not in extended area it works.

Really, my intent was not to complain so much as to try to figure out what other users have done to make it easier for them. I currently do not have the Vista mounted and because of posts here, I will be trying that...probably a suction cup mount. I think the Vista can be as effective for me once I have gotten used to it, but the thing I struggle with the most is where/how to mount it and what screen works best. It will be an independent preference and as I use it more I am finding what works for me in terms of display, but still struggle with the screen views.

Right now I think the challenge is how best to mount it. I do think if it were in better line with the windshield it would be easier.

A friend got the suction-cup mount for his Vista C and mounted it in the left-hand corner of his windshield. That is better than the beanbag mount I have which sometimes slips off the dash . . . <_<

You can change the map screen to show different data-fields. When I am using my Vista C for caching, I have three data fields showing, giving me the arrow, distance to the cache, and the name of the cache. When I was doing some long-distance driving, I changed the data fields for that kind of traveling, or changed the map page to show no data fields at all.

I think that buying integrated satnav from the manufacturer is a Bad Idea on par with buying high end stereo package from the manufacturer.

Massively overpriced for what you get.

mmm, but as I remarked in another thread, if you live in a city environment the inertial navigation that comes with integrated SatNav is pretty awesome...

Martin

For what it is worth I e-mailed Garmin with the suggestion of adding the capability to add in the live traffic "antenna" to handheld units like a 60 CSX. I use it with the autorouting all the time, and really for me the only difference between it and one of their high end auto units is I could get the little plug in antenna that would give me live updates on traffic and reroute me. If they could plug that into either the external antenna port or somehow incorporate it into the 4 plug deal that would make the handheld unit killer! For now it's not worth the extra money to get an auto unit just for that feature. Maybe additional e-mails on that would help them along!

For what it is worth I e-mailed Garmin with the suggestion of adding the capability to add in the live traffic "antenna" to handheld units like a 60 CSX. I use it with the autorouting all the time, and really for me the only difference between it and one of their high end auto units is I could get the little plug in antenna that would give me live updates on traffic and reroute me. If they could plug that into either the external antenna port or somehow incorporate it into the 4 plug deal that would make the handheld unit killer! For now it's not worth the extra money to get an auto unit just for that feature. Maybe additional e-mails on that would help them along!

Unfortunately one other thing the handheld is missing is a way to avoid part of the route. So say you are stuck in traffic...on some units you can select to avoid where ever it is that you are stuck and it will route you around it. Can't do that with the handheld, though you could just take another route and see what it does from there.

At any rate, this isn't critical for me so it's not a biggie. But it does seem like the traffic receiver would be doable since the ones they have now are contained within the power cord (not built into the device).