Feature request: Ability to retrieve secret number of a TB you previously logged?

LeoGeo

Many cachers write down (or store in their computers) the secret numbers of TB's they have previously retrieved, grabbed, discovered, etc., so that if they realize they made a mistake in logging the TB, they can go back and clean up the logs. Would it be possible to add a feature to the GC website that would make it unnecessary for cachers to keep a separate list like this?

That is, if I realize that I logged the "Podunk (IA) Green Jeep" into the wrong cache, and didn't write down the number, I could go the the TB's page and ask for the secret number so I could correct the logs -- but could not ask for the number of a TB that I had never retrieved/grabbed/discovered.

It's certainly not a high priority request, but it would be a nice convenience.

"Podunk (IA) Green Jeep"

Sweet! I didn't realize there was a TB with a goal to reach my area.

I do write down and save every tracking number I log because I know mistakes do happen. There is a need for people to be able to undo an improperly logged TB. You can contact the owner to get the number and hopefully they respond in a timely manner.

Some sort of solution would be nice. If not the tracking number maybe if you were the last dropper you could have an ‘undo’ option.

Just email the owner and ask for the code. Its not that much work and doesnt require recoding the site.

Just playing devil's advocate here for a second....

Will Jeep Corp. respond and give me a Jeep Id#??

Having got that bit of snarkiness out of my system - I would agree that this feature just isn't really needed - take time to do it right or write the numbers down. Or as mentioned - email the owner.

Just email the owner and ask for the code. Its not that much work and doesnt require recoding the site.

Just playing devil's advocate here for a second....

Will Jeep Corp. respond and give me a Jeep Id#??

Having got that bit of snarkiness out of my system - I would agree that this feature just isn't really needed - take time to do it right or write the numbers down. Or as mentioned - email the owner.

No Mr. Snarky Pants, Jeep will probably not respond. :D:D:D I didn't see the Jeep example. So it still works for most other situations. so there :D

Sheesh Somes children's People.

I wrote to the Secretary General of the United Nations about the tracking number for a diabetes travel bug. My request was referred to a special committee of the UN Secretariat, where diplomats from 14 nations debated how to respond to my request.

I arrived home today and found a pony tied up to my front porch.

Since the owner of a TB can see the secret code on a bug page, and the system already tracks if you've logged the bug, I don't think it would be a tremendous amount of recording to the site.

I remember not too long ago people said "Why would an owner of the bug need the number on the bug page. Why not just write it down?"

Edited by Markwell

I like the undo function to put it back in your inventory, but I'd rathr not see previous loggers having access to the tracking number of any buy logged. IMHO, the fact that someone other than the owner cannot see the tracking # on the web site is a good way to make sure someone actually has a bug before logging.

With the exception of the promotional bugs (jeep, ufd) I think most owners woul be happy to send a lost code or to move a bug into the correct cache if asked.

I like the undo function to put it back in your inventory, but I'd rathr not see previous loggers having access to the tracking number of any buy logged. IMHO, the fact that someone other than the owner cannot see the tracking # on the web site is a good way to make sure someone actually has a bug before logging.

With the exception of the promotional bugs (jeep, ufd) I think most owners woul be happy to send a lost code or to move a bug into the correct cache if asked.

This sounds like the ideal compromise to me.