Cachemate question

Anyone know of an app that will work with Cachemate as a search function for a particular word. I know that there is a search built into it, but I would like to find that I would have a little more control over. I'm using Cachemate on a Treo 650 with a Palm OS.

Thanks

I have had a Palm for 5 or 6 years and Cachemate for a few months and didn't know that you can search using the Palm's built in Search function (the magnifying glass). Just type in any word (or phrase) and let it go. My brother who has had a Palm for two weeks just showed me this yesterday! I learn something new everyday. :)

I have had a Palm for 5 or 6 years and Cachemate for a few months and didn't know that you can search using the Palm's built in Search function (the magnifying glass). Just type in any word (or phrase) and let it go. My brother who has had a Palm for two weeks just showed me this yesterday! I learn something new everyday. :D

Yes I know about that feature, but it does not search Cachemate.

I've recently starting using Cachemate on a Palm M105, and noticed that while you CAN use the magnifying glass/Search to find words in cache descriptions, names, etc, it CAN'T be used to search waypoint names (ie "GCABC12")...that seems weird...just gotta go to the main screen and list them by "Wpt" instead of "Name".

I've recently starting using Cachemate on a Palm M105, and noticed that while you CAN use the magnifying glass/Search to find words in cache descriptions, names, etc, it CAN'T be used to search waypoint names (ie "GCABC12")...that seems weird...just gotta go to the main screen and list them by "Wpt" instead of "Name".

Playing around with it just now I see you can't search for difficulty and terrain either. Type in D2/T1.5 and you get no matches. At least with the waypoint search you can go to the waypoint view and write in the waypoint name and it will automatically go to that place in the list.

I have had a Palm for 5 or 6 years and Cachemate for a few months and didn't know that you can search using the Palm's built in Search function (the magnifying glass). Just type in any word (or phrase) and let it go. My brother who has had a Palm for two weeks just showed me this yesterday! I learn something new everyday. :D

Yes I know about that feature, but it does not search Cachemate.

Sure it does!!! The reason my brother showed me was that he was trying to search for all caches placed by a certain individual and it brought only those up. I showed him how to swipe (copy) any text and it goes straight into the clipboard. Don't try to type the text in, find an example and then copy it into the clipboard. I don't know why that works (maybe there are tab characters?) but it will work. My brother was typing in "Owner: example" and it wouldn't work. When he copied "Owner: example" it worked.

Once you have the example copied into the clipboard you can then edit it to get what you want.

Give it a try. :D

Edited by dsshepard

Ok guys and gals, please tell me how to do this. I'm using a Treo 650 and when I hit the search icon (magnifying glass) It searches Agendus, sheets to go, word to go, media, contacts, calendar, memoes, tasks, ralplayer songs, slideshow to go and veramail messages. That's it. Also I tries the copy and paste idea mentioned but found that I could copy but had no way to paste.

How do you do it?

Mike

I have a Palm Lifedrive and what I just did was go to a cache description where I selected a person's user name. Then I hit the little Search icon at the bottom of the screen. The Global Search function came up.

I selected Paste from the Cachemate Edit menu, the name went into the blank. I selected "Okay" and it worked. I also tried it by typing in a different word and that worked.

I've never tried to do a search on a word like that before . . . you learn something new every day. :(

EDIT to add . . . I tried that with my Palm M500 and it didn't work . . . :mad: Only when I searched for a word in a title ("river") did I get results. I did not get results when I searched for the owner name. So, maybe it depends on the Palm, its OS, and the capabilities of it. I don't know about your Treo . . . :)

Edited by Miragee

On my Palm IIIxe there is no memory card. It will search for words in the name or description. It will search for the owners name. From the description page highlight the owners name. Touch Cachemate and then edit then copy. Next touch the magnify search and the name appears in the search window. I still can't get it to search by waypoint.

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/faq.php#wp_search

Of course, no, searching the description and past logs will not work if you're using memory card support.

Bingo!!! That's the correct answer. The only problem is the search feacher will not come up in cachemate. To search on my Treo I must search from the launcher.

Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW...I just bought a used Palm 500 on Ebay just to use while geocaching. Cost me under $30.00 including shipping.