vista cx vs 60CSx

You will find fans of each unit that will help here with their views.

Feature-wise, the two units are very closely comparable. However if the critical issue for you is that of reception under heavy foliage, the Vista simply cannot compete with any SirfIII (or equivalent) equipped GPSr.

Although the accuracy each device will achieve is about the same when satellite visibility is good, the ability to hold onto a signal in challenging conditions is VERY much better with the 60CSx. This was enough of an issue for me to send my Vista back and pay the extra for the 60CSx.

I feel qualified to respond, as I owned a 60CSx for a week, and ended up with a Vista CX.

The 60CSx does have the SiRF III chipset and it rocks. No doubt about it. However, my Vista can actually get a satellite connection in my house in my bedroom (top floor). It does drop out sometimes, but I was impressed it could pick it up to begin with. I haven't used it in heavy foliage, though and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I am as tickled with it later in the season as I am now. That's one of the biggest differences.

The other is form factor. The GPSMAP 60CSx is larger than the Vista CX. I definitely prefer the form factor of the Vista. Also, I had a hard time with the rocker switch on the 60CSx as my fingernails got in the way. I love the joystick the Vista has and find it much easier to work with.

The 60CSx holds 1,000 waypoints, the Vista only 500. Personally this isn't an issue for me as I can't imagine why I need more than 500 waypoints. I'm not going to hunt 500 geocaches in one day, and for my purposes I prefer just reloading them weekly so I'm sure to have the latest information without archived or closed or not found ones. Plus, you can use the POI loader to load as many other points as you could possibly need.

Both have autorouting.

For me, it strictly came down to form factor as I much preferred the Vista form factor. Had it come down to reception, I would have gone with the GPSMAP 60CSx.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed they decide to upgrade the Vista cx and offer it with a SiRF III. Even though my Vista is brand new, I would immediately buy a new one if offered with a SiRF III. In my opinion, that is the only thing keeping it (Vista) from being perfect.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed they decide to upgrade the Vista cx and offer it with a SiRF III. Even though my Vista is brand new, I would immediately buy a new one if offered with a SiRF III. In my opinion, that is the only thing keeping it (Vista) from being perfect.

I may be wrong, but I think they did not put the SiRF in the Vista and Legend Cx in order to create differentiation betweeen it and the 60C(S)x.