Explorist XL

I have looked at it and held it in my hands. To me it is a little big and heavy. The geocacher I talked with loves it in spite of the fact it takes 4 batteries. She said it was great.

I am not bashing, the only gps I have owned is a Sport Trac Pro. I am looking for a color upgrade and think I have decided on a Lowrance.

Good luck on your decision.

Currently I use a MeridianGold. As this is obsolete from Magellan I'm planning on replacing it. I too are interested in the Explorist XL as it is the only in the Explorist line that runs on AAA batteries. I use my GPS for caching, but also for my work in the military. On most profesional trips it is impossible to recharge battery packs, while AAA batteries are on unlimited supply.

The larger size I is not really an issue for me and I want to stick to Magellan

Currently I use a MeridianGold. As this is obsolete from Magellan I'm planning on replacing it. I too are interested in the Explorist XL as it is the only in the Explorist line that runs on AAA batteries. I use my GPS for caching, but also for my work in the military. On most profesional trips it is impossible to recharge battery packs, while AAA batteries are on unlimited supply.

The explorist 500le also uses AAA's, but goes through them quickly. I think the 500 and the XL utilize the same format. Magellan is supposedly going to be sending out the li-ion rechargables along with an AC charger. I've been on the waiting list for almost 2 months. Hope they come out soon :)

I have a magellan xl. I am 62 and the exta large sreen is a help. it runs on aa batteries not aaa. I find it very accurate with having possibilites of obtaining 14 sats. many time i have been within 1or 2 feet of cache. you also may want to add lastest version of direct route. I went from new orleans to ruston , la. and all around with no difficulty. I have used the back light on from sun up to sundown without changing batteries. i use regular rechargeables. i owned a sportrak pro before getting this one.

Edited by short circuit 2

The explorist 500le also uses AAA's, but goes through them quickly. I think the 500 and the XL utilize the same format. Magellan is supposedly going to be sending out the li-ion rechargables along with an AC charger. I've been on the waiting list for almost 2 months. Hope they come out soon :D

i have the magellan explorist 600 and it comes with the ability to run on 3 aaa batteries or a lithiun ion rechargable battery. i have hade and used this since christmas for caching and the battery lasts extremy long, i cant tell you how long the aaa last, for i have not had a chance to use them, however, it also come with a usb cord and the colest thing ever, is that you can download caches and cache info in seconds to it right off of geocaching.com as well as it is almost the same size as a cell phone, i recomend it

I have an XL and this is my 1st GPS. There are things I like and disilike about it.

1. Used it Sunday for about 13 hours and still have over 1/2 battery life (using Duracells)

2. The large color screen is nice and easy to read in the daylight.

3. I like the size of the unit, cellphone size is to small for me

4.Tracks well, my friends vista lost satellites off/on all day I never lost satellites

5. Limited to a max of like 58 waypoints (or a number close to this) and then another route needs to be started.

6. It has locked up on me a half dozen times, not sure but I may be pushing to many buttons to quick.

7. I think their software leaves alot to be desired.

Dick

Edited by Baggerman

I had a Vista that I had used for years. Got into ATV'ing a year ago and with the Vista on the ATV, I would have to stop to be able to read the screen. After getting back from vacation last year I bought an XL as there were some good reviews on it on the ATV Forum I go to. With the screen being almost exactly 2X as big as the Vista, this thing is a really nice unit to use while on the ATV. Then in january I bought a Garmin Map76CSx.

Keep in mind I have NOT used either one of these for Geocaching yet.

In comparing them. The XL has the biggest screen, very easy to use. Probably easier to navigate thru the screens than the Garmins are. Battery life is great. With the MapSend program on the puter, when you download a track from the GPS, you can actually play it back (like a video, which it shows your speed from point to point). Downside is the MapSend program does not allow you to build a track. You have to take a point from their existing "sample" track and then edit a track from there. Supposedly if the XL is used for Geocaching and you transfer the points in they can not be removed. Never tried this to see.

The Garmin Map76CSx is a very nice unit. Battery life is about the same as the XL (but only 2 instead of the 4 in XL). The 76CSx comes already set up with more things on it. Some of these I see no need for as they will never get used by me. As far as the MapSource program, very easy to use. For what I use the gps for (mostly on the ATV) I like to map out tracks that I hope to ride while on vacation the Garmin program is much easier to use.

Ok, both have color screen. In my opinion the XL is easier to see in bright sunlight. The XL has larger font size than the 76CSx.

The XL is about a 1/4" taller and maybe 1/8" wider than the 76CSx.

Both units will acquire a good lock on sat. while I am setting at my computer in the house. Both will also keep a lock if they are already on and I carry them inside at work (metal roof). Sat. lock time is about the same on both units.

On the front of the XL it has 8 buttons, 76CSx has 9 (XL power button is on side). The pan button on the XL is similar to the Vista. The pan button on the 76CSx is the bigger diameter deal that in my opinion is spaced to close to the surrounding buttons.

Over all I would give both of these units a big thumbs up.

Hopefully this will help someone in future decisions on the 2 units.