Split South African caches by province

GeoCRAt

I would like to see a feature whereby if you choose to see caches in South Africa (which now has 1,700 caches) there would be a further split by province. Just as is done for the caches in the USA, Canada, Australia (and some more countries I suspect), I would like to see caches sorted by the 9 provinces in South Africa. This will make it a lot easier to plan your cache hunting.

Thanks,

:)

GeoCRAt.

(It is really good, however, to see geocaching becoming so popular in my home country)

I would like to see a feature whereby if you choose to see caches in South Africa (which now has 1,700 caches) there would be a further split by province. Just as is done for the caches in the USA, Canada, Australia (and some more countries I suspect), I would like to see caches sorted by the 9 provinces in South Africa. This will make it a lot easier to plan your cache hunting.
It's been requested before. And not only for South Africa, but for a lot of countries. See:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=77594

There was some postive feedback on that thread by Jeremy, but it has been silent in that topic for some time.

In the US this process is NOT automatic. The way it works is that we select the state that the cache is in from a drop down menu. There is no automatic checking and if I wanted to I could place a cache with coordinates that place it in Hawaii but select that Maryland form the drop down menu. When the cache submission goes to the reviewer it is up to the reviewer to make sure my selection of state was the correct one. Nothing in this process is automatic.

I think the hardest part in assigning existing caches a province is that there is no automatic system to do this. Someone would have to edit all 1,700 currently active South Africa caches and assign them a province. That is a LOT of work. I am sure we will eventually see this happen but I really can't say when.

I think the hardest part in assigning existing caches a province is that there is no automatic system to do this. Someone would have to edit all 1,700 currently active South Africa caches and assign them a province. That is a LOT of work. I am sure we will eventually see this happen but I really can't say when.
You could just default to unknown for existing caches and make it required for new ones.

A cache owner can set it for his/her own caches. Eventually (1+ year) all caches will have a state/province/... specified, without it being a LOT of work.

It's been requested before. And not only for South Africa, but for a lot of countries. See:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=77594

There was some postive feedback on that thread by Jeremy, but it has been silent in that topic for some time.

Surely it is possible to determine (perhaps from Google Earth) the co-ordinates of the province boundries, match that with the co-ordinates specified for the cache location and then automatically allocate the caches to the provinces. It is just a matter of overlaying Google Earth with the cache co-ordinates and letting technology do the rest.

:D