cache longevity

Bad_CRC

So I placed a "micro in the woods" cache today. ick.

I can't stand micros myself, but they are very popular in this town, and I already had this container, and the perfect spot was open, so I figured the people who like them may enjoy it.

The area does have trees, but it's not really"a woods" it's more of a nasty looking high-traffic ditch than a woods.

The cache site is across a path from a golf course, the cache container is a golf ball that screws open to contain a tiny "rite in the rain" logbook and a tiny pencil. We put 6 "decoy" caches around that are actual golf balls (with holes drilled in them to make them worthless to ball thieves).

the cache isn't hidden from sight, so it's visible for anyone standing nearby, but if you are more than 5 feet away from it, you can't see it because there is a large stick on the ground in front of it.

I'm hoping it lasts a while, but i really have no idea if it will. If a ball hunter doesn't take it, a squirrel or something may. Hopefully a few people find it first.

Anyone care to guess? I'll bump this when it goes away, (no prizes will be awarded, there aren't room for any in a micro)

So I placed a "micro in the woods" cache today. ick.

I can't stand micros myself, but they are very popular in this town, and I already had this container, and the perfect spot was open, so I figured the people who like them may enjoy it.

The area does have trees, but it's not really"a woods" it's more of a nasty looking high-traffic ditch than a woods.

The cache site is across a path from a golf course, the cache container is a golf ball that screws open to contain a tiny "rite in the rain" logbook and a tiny pencil. We put 6 "decoy" caches around that are actual golf balls (with holes drilled in them to make them worthless to ball thieves).

the cache isn't hidden from sight, so it's visible for anyone standing nearby, but if you are more than 5 feet away from it, you can't see it because there is a large stick on the ground in front of it.

I'm hoping it lasts a while, but i really have no idea if it will. If a ball hunter doesn't take it, a squirrel or something may. Hopefully a few people find it first.

Anyone care to guess? I'll bump this when it goes away, (no prizes will be awarded, there aren't room for any in a micro)

If a lot of people hit balls in that direction it may only last a month or so. Otherwise it should last a long time.
If a lot of people hit balls in that direction it may only last a month or so

Yeah, enterprising kids sometimes roam the areas around golf courses, collect balls, clean them and sell them.

ya, there were kids out collecting balls in the stream nearby, but I don't think there are any holes that face towards this way, there were no balls at all in the area when we placed it, and it's purposely a ways down from the area where people would probably collect balls.

If a lot of people hit balls in that direction it may only last a month or so

Yeah, enterprising kids sometimes roam the areas around golf courses, collect balls, clean them and sell them.

ya, there were kids out collecting balls in the stream nearby, but I don't think there are any holes that face towards this way, there were no balls at all in the area when we placed it, and it's purposely a ways down from the area where people would probably collect balls.

Sounds like it will be OK. Smart kids know where the hackers hit their balls...

I'll speak from experience when I say that it doesn't matter if a hole faces an area whether or not golf balls will be in any area near a golf course. Not everybody is an Arnold Palmer - especially me.

I'll speak from experience when I say that it doesn't matter if a hole faces an area whether or not golf balls will be in any area near a golf course. Not everybody is an Arnold Palmer - especially me.

I second this. As a "not" Arnold Palmer myself, you'd be surprised where a mis-hit golf ball will go. Also, due to this problem I have (can't hit straight :mad: ) I will basically pick up any ball I find in the woods for later use. If I find one with a hole in it (I guess it depends on the size of the hole), it will be my tee ball for the 190 yard par three, island green hole. That way I don't lose a good ball in the water! The cache itself would probably be fine, it wouldn't feel heavy enough, but a golfer probably wouldn't put it back where he got it from. For the decoys, you'd be better off walking a course sometime, find the ball husks from when they get mowed over...basically a hollow ball cover. Even hackers like myself can find no use for them!

Edit: This site automatically censors words? mis-hit without the (- ) came out mis*** everytime I tried to edit. That is funny :mad::(:)

Edited by Two Geeks and a GPS