Cache trashers

It seems a child cache trasher has re-appeared in our area (I assume child as all incidents have taken place in holiday periods). He was first known as dragonnose but now calls himself "he who must not be named" as the original account was suspended/locked. How do I go about reporting this to have their account locked again?

Their profile is at Child and caches trashed today are Poppies on Parade and Sweepy's Armada Beacon.

It always amazes me that some people will go to such lengths to spoil things for others. What a sad, lonely person they must be. :laughing:

Perhaps someone around the area could hide some 'members only' caches? Think how annoyed he/she would be when they can't obtain the co-ords!

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

Arggghhh, this one is seriously bad for your health, some one must have thought it was a sample bottle and they have sampled it!!!!

....why are some people so disgusting....

I copied the above log from one of our local caches that was found yesterday!

And they call us freaks and geeks but these people are just sick :laughing:

M :laughing:

But even if he's reported,and stopped, is there anything to stop them re-registering under a different name?

If TPTB had an IP address they might be able to do something a bit more definite..

I was thinking that last night. It is highly likely that record that has been updated in the database will have an IP address referring to it. Every computer has one to access the internet and its unique. Geocaching.com should be able to trace it (if they still have a record of it), you provide that to the police, the police use it to go to the ISP, the ISP tells you who it is, the police go around, smash the front door in, turn up the sofa and ask"Well, how do you like it?" :) Or something similar. However, Groundspeak may not pass the IP address because of data protection laws and all that. Different country, different legislation.

Hmmmm, say if the British police did take it in, I guess this psycho trasher could be done for damge or destruction of property?

It seems a child cache trasher has re-appeared in our area (I assume child as all incidents have taken place in holiday periods). He was first known as dragonnose but now calls himself "he who must not be named" as the original account was suspended/locked. How do I go about reporting this to have their account locked again?

Their profile is at Child and caches trashed today are Poppies on Parade and Sweepy's Armada Beacon.

Could be a teacher?

This is obviously quite a disturbed individual, and the only gratification they are getting from it is from upsetting people. Don't give them what they so desperatrly want: attention.

I imagine they will watch that listing to see the owner's reaction and to see the cache get archived, which is an understabdable reaction from the owner, but the reaction the loser wants.

IMO the best thing to do would be to delete the log, put up a note to the effect of 'it's gone missing, will replace shortly' and put a new (cheap) cache in it's place. That way, the trasher does not get the reaction they are after.

It is quite likely they are reading this, too.

Another approach is to set up a new listing, get all the local cachers to wait round the corner armed with big sticks, and lie in wait for a teenager with a Harry Potter shirt to 'muggle' it... :)

Just to respond to issues raised:

Re-registration - I have no doubt that is what will happen, but two can play at the "messing you about" game.

Destruction of property - I suspect the act of placing a cache for people to take things from deprives you of the right of ownership, in fact maybe we are causing litter.

A teacher - possibly but the logs are too childish and pretty badly constructed.

Log and reaction - I am not commenting on the cache page and the log stays long enough for TPTB to see it - I have emailed them already. No need to temporarily make it unavailable if you know what I mean :)

Military skills - that would be me then.

Cheers folks.

This sort of thing happens quite regularly, unfortunately. It seems that it's just part of geocaching that some people think it's fun to trash caches. After a while the enjoyment of causing inconvenience to a few cachers seems to disappear - perhaps they realise that it's not that exciting a pastime after all. I'd recommend that the caches are disabled for a couple of weeks then replaced. Apparently it gets very tedious to have to go out to the same caches and re-muggle them.

I was explaining geocaching to someone a few days ago and they could just about understand the appeal, but thought that deliberately muggling caches is just about the saddest pastime ever!

I know that Groundspeak can ban an IP address - it's happened before too.

But even if he's reported,and stopped, is there anything to stop them re-registering under a different name?

If TPTB had an IP address they might be able to do something a bit more definite..

I was thinking that last night. It is highly likely that record that has been updated in the database will have an IP address referring to it. Every computer has one to access the internet and its unique. Geocaching.com should be able to trace it (if they still have a record of it), you provide that to the police, the police use it to go to the ISP, the ISP tells you who it is, the police go around, smash the front door in, turn up the sofa and ask"Well, how do you like it?" B) Or something similar. However, Groundspeak may not pass the IP address because of data protection laws and all that. Different country, different legislation.

Hmmmm, say if the British police did take it in, I guess this psycho trasher could be done for damge or destruction of property?

They most certainly can block IP addresses, they accidentally blocked ours :) and it took nearly a week to sort out, but we got a nice apology from Jeremy B) .

The open way that our hobby/sport is set up would make it very difficult to stop someone from re-registering.

It looks like he is (as this point) just attacking those that are easily accessible - which is quite a few of the Godmanchetser ones. I've yet to tackle Mr Nibblers 'Poppys on parade' - at this rate I might not get the chance.

Tedious it may be but I would keep replacing the cache because the idiot would get bored at some point - having to revisit the same cachesite again and again - but then I'm not currently in that situation.

In fact being just down the road from Mr. Nibbler - how long before he gets bored with just the Godmanchester area B) and starts looking wider afield. :)B)

Airsoft Rifle: $199

Lighting up the backside of a geopirate with plastic BB's... PRICELESS

A NATO 7.62x51mm rifle cartridge, would stop them from the rest of the no good that they will be up to rather than a BB gun, although there are a few laws that preclude such an idea.

How odd, I was going to start a thread on this today! Not that I know of anyone who would or has trashed one, but when I explained caching to a couple of mates over lunch, the first thing they said was "cool, we can go trash it" - they were joking, but i'm suprised it doesn't happen more.

As for why people do it - people do, believe it or not, go out of their way to be destructive. Look at the hassle kids might go through to get hold of some spray cans of paint, just to "tag" their local 'leccy distribution box (or similar).

As others have said, not sure what you can do. With a free registration system, bad apples will always get in. But make it forced-pay-for and less people will join the hobby. The police won't be interested, I can pretty much guarantee that... we just have to get on with it I suppose!

I accept that cache trashing is annnoying... but isn't this thread getting a little out of hand now?

It all seems quite reasonable to me so far. :) Although I understand that 7.62mm is tricky to get hold of if you don't know the right people.

Edited by NickPick

We have a cache trasher in the south of France. He is also a cacher (we have a link between his caching name and his sock puppet, via an e-mail address). (I suspect a LOT of trashers are also cachers.)

However, it appears that he has "form" (including jail time) for numerous violent offences and is believed to carry a gun much of the time. :)

Anyone out there want to confront him? No, thought not.

Back to my idea of replacing the cache until 'it' gets bored.....

replace all the caches in the area (for now) with micros.... not much fun trashing them and the real cachers can still find and log. :) Sorry to anyone in the area thats hates micros - no names..... B)

replace all the caches in the area (for now) with micros.... not much fun trashing them and the real cachers can still find and log. :) Sorry to anyone in the area thats hates micros - no names..... B)

Very good idea! How much fun could it be tipping a piece of paper out of a film cannister! They would soon get bored of that, surely?

The problem is, would you write on the cache page that it had been changed, and why the change was made? Then he / she would see it before they set out to muggle it. Also, would you be able to get all cache owners to change them temporarily?

replace all the caches in the area (for now) with micros.... not much fun trashing them and the real cachers can still find and log. B) Sorry to anyone in the area thats hates micros - no names..... :)

Sounds a good idea, might take out some of the "fun"

Have the caches been checked? I mean have they been muggled or just logged as muggled?

Eh, I'd just delete the online log, replace the cache with a heavy metal box, chain it to the tree/wherever it's located, and turn it into a puzzle cache requiring a key found elsewhere. With any luck, they wouldn't want to go through the bother of solving the puzzle, since their logs indicate that they were finding things easily.

As GPSr's are becoming cheaper and cheaper I can see this become much more of a problem. In a few years all mobile phones will contain a GPSr. It's called progress apparently.

Combine this and the fact that some people are just plain stupid and before too long we will have premium membership only.

It has been noted that banning the IP is a solution. It isn't.

Most home internet connections use dynamic IP addresses - they change regularly. Groundspeak may end up blocking a real cacher.

Also, most of AOL's customers use one of several IP addresses - blocking much of AOL isn't an option either. :D

Perhaps someone around the area could hide some 'members only' caches? Think how annoyed he/she would be when they can't obtain the co-ords!

This option sounds like the best idea to me. Though not so good for all the genuine non paying members it would al least stand a much better chance of staying safe as I'm sure this low life would not even consider paying to become a premium member.

All good suggestions here ! IMO if you want to make it more difficult for the undesirables , make them premium only , and Multi / mystery , so you never publish the actual co-ords. and make the clue a bit more criptic than - stumped ? or in the roots under a large pine ! and move the cache slightly . Tihs is made easier by not having the actual co-ords published as you can just change the formula to which the co-ords are made from .

The clue bit , i think should be true for all caches , its sposed to be a clue , not a direction to where it is !

Rant over.

Hope your caches are OK Mr Nibbler !

replace all the caches in the area (for now) with micros.... not much fun trashing them and the real cachers can still find and log. :D Sorry to anyone in the area thats hates micros - no names..... :D

Great idea.

Let's make all caches micros! :D:D

If I wanted to do criptic puzzles I'd take up crosswords!

Edited by currykev