Mapping GPSr Cheating?

Ok well maybe not cheating but it sure makes things easier especially for us impromptu cachers. I recently purchased a Foretrex for my son to use when we go caching and decided to give it a try today. I looked up the cache on my GPSMap 60CSx and hit goto. After that I typed in the coordinates in the Foretrex. The mapping GPSr gave me a nice route to the location then switched to the compass pointer and distance to get me to ground zero. The Foretrex from the start displayed bearing and straightline distance to the location. While you can certainly get there on that alone unless you're very familiar with the area I think a lot more preperation in the way of maps or looking on Google Earth to find the route to the cache. This is probably not such a big deal when looking for rural caches but for urbans it sure does save a lot of frustration.

So what does everyone think? Are mapping units an unfair advantage?

Or is that an unfair disadvantage?

I wonder that every time the rotuing software takes me to the middle of some urban neighborhood, at the end of someone's driveway, where I sit... staring down their driveway, through their fence, at the lovely park that has a geocache on the fenceline.

The software got me pretty close, so OK then, time to figure out how to get into the park from where I sit. :laughing:

I wouldn’t call it unfair at all. My GPSr has mapping abilities and when I go caching with a my buddy whose GPSr does not map we tend to use my map to get us close to the area. But as stated by others above you still have to use common sense and good judgment to get you to the cache itself. And when I’ve downloaded all the caches in the area we are heading to ahead of time via pocket queries from Geocaching.com on to my GPSr it makes it much easier to pick and choose the caches we want to attempt as they scroll by on the map as we travel. Easier; yes. Unfair; no.

I wouldn’t call it unfair at all. My GPSr has mapping abilities and when I go caching with a my buddy whose GPSr does not map we tend to use my map to get us close to the area. But as stated by others above you still have to use common sense and good judgment to get you to the cache itself. And when I’ve downloaded all the caches in the area we are heading to ahead of time via pocket queries from Geocaching.com on to my GPSr it makes it much easier to pick and choose the caches we want to attempt as they scroll by on the map as we travel. Easier; yes. Unfair; no.

That's pretty much how I plan to do it. Use the mapping GPSr to get there then we'll both be able to look for the cache with our own. And I quess I was exagerating when I caled it cheating but it sure is easier then without. I didn't realize how much so until I got the non-mapping GPSr for my son to use.

Questions about the fairness of various technological enhancements, or threads devoted to the fairness of newly development techniques or strategies, seem a bit curious. For goodness sake, geocaching as it is known is almost exclusively the consequence of enhancements in technology. Without the technology we would be letterboxing!! Of course, there might be some merit to good discussion on the relative angst caused by clever clue writing compared to the agony of spinning needles on a gps. But wouldn’t that discussion be as useful as comparing apples to oranges? (Which is itself a discussion criticism I have never fully understood. “Apples versus oranges” is considered by fruit salad devotees to be a very important consideration!)

Questions about the fairness of various technological enhancements, or threads devoted to the fairness of newly development techniques or strategies, seem a bit curious. For goodness sake, geocaching as it is known is almost exclusively the consequence of enhancements in technology. Without the technology we would be letterboxing!!
I'm so glad to have this technology! :laughing:

Well, depends on how you look at it. Advantage yes. If the cache is 37 miles away and in a town you are not familiar with, the choice is clear map, it..... What I like to do on my 60c is follow roads until I am less than a mile out and then re-find and use off road. The gps will take you there but not show you where it is at. So cheating, not really. If you are just hard core though or feeling guilty for using google satellite maps, get as close as you feel comfortable and then have the gps give you a magnetic bearing. Shoot that with your compass and turn the gps off. Good luck.....

I use a 76CSx and I love it. Sometimes it has put me waaaaay in the wrong place though because the nearest point by road wasn't the way to get to the cache. If the cache is very near a freeway it will route me on the freeway and expect me to stop right there. Sometimes it can put you "near" the cache but you would have to go through someone's house or some other private property to get to the cache. It does make life easier but I have a friend who finds them all and he never uses the mapping even though he has a mapping GPSr. (Heck, he still punches in all the coordinates by hand too....)

You don't really need a mapping GPSr to do the routing though. I use Firefox and have a plug-in for it that puts a link on the cache page that says, "Directions from Thrak's house". I click the link and it gives me an onscreen map with driving directions. Of course that isn't always right either........

I use a 76CSx and I love it. Sometimes it has put me waaaaay in the wrong place though because the nearest point by road wasn't the way to get to the cache. If the cache is very near a freeway it will route me on the freeway and expect me to stop right there. Sometimes it can put you "near" the cache but you would have to go through someone's house or some other private property to get to the cache. It does make life easier but I have a friend who finds them all and he never uses the mapping even though he has a mapping GPSr. (Heck, he still punches in all the coordinates by hand too....)

You don't really need a mapping GPSr to do the routing though. I use Firefox and have a plug-in for it that puts a link on the cache page that says, "Directions from Thrak's house". I click the link and it gives me an onscreen map with driving directions. Of course that isn't always right either........

I used to load manual routes created from Mapsource into my Legend. I sometimes just used the map on my Legend too. It was awkward but it worked. Now I have a 60CS and life is good! :laughing:

All I know is that our find rate shot up considerably the moment we started using a GPS map. I can't imagine caching without one now.

My find rate is the same whether or not I use autorouting. My efficiency, on the other hand, is higher with it. I can look for more caches per day if I don't have to map them out and plan my route.

And where might one find this greasemonkey script? OR are you using something else?

Fair?? Sure - why not?

I have not used either online or GPS maps to find my way close to 95% or more of my finds. To me much of the fun of Geocaching is simply finding a way to get close and then go seek it. finding the best parking or route. I don't really "need" to have the extra bells and whistles.

Nice to know I have them but I rarely use them.

I enjoy caches that are of great places (waterfalls, caves, scenic lookouts) so the faster I get there, the more time I can enjoy the area. So I love the autorouting.

The great thing about caching, you can make it as hard or easy as you like, and you can pick and choose the caches you like. There's something for eveyone.

When we are headed out into the middle of nowhere we have always taken a printed map. Is it unfair to use a printed map to navigate to where you want to go?

Consider too that the printed maps from DeLorme and others are not always 100% correct either. USGS topo maps are pretty good, but many times are pretty old for areas we go to. On most maps and especially on commercial maps we have run into many instances of inaccuracies, omissions, and "ghost" roads or other features. We have made countless notes and corrections to our printed maps. Now we have a map on our 60CSx in addition to the printed maps. We are beginning to notice the "edges" to these maps too. They are helpful for sure, but hardly cheating. You are getting coordinates that put you within 10-20 ft of a spot already for heaven's sake!

If you really want more of a challenge, try finding benchmarks from their legal descriptions without help from a GPSr.

VKsnr

All I know is that our find rate shot up considerably the moment we started using a GPS map. I can't imagine caching without one now.

My find rate is the same whether or not I use autorouting. My efficiency, on the other hand, is higher with it. I can look for more caches per day if I don't have to map them out and plan my route.

Oops, different meaning of "find rate." I forgot about the most common use of that term. I was referring to the number of finds per day. I didn't mean to say that the find-to-DNF ratio was changed in any way.

Oops, different meaning of "find rate." I forgot about the most common use of that term. I was referring to the number of finds per day. I didn't mean to say that the find-to-DNF ratio was changed in any way.

We are in complete agreement.

And where might one find this greasemonkey script? OR are you using something else?

Go here

Gotta love it.

I too eagerly await the answer!

As far as maps on GPS being fair, of course they are!

You don't have to use any technology, you can opt out and do it the old way, your choice.

Saddle up your llama and ride, if that's what floats your boat, I will take my air-conditioned car!

Ok well maybe not cheating but it sure makes things easier especially for us impromptu cachers. I recently purchased a Foretrex for my son to use when we go caching and decided to give it a try today. I looked up the cache on my GPSMap 60CSx and hit goto. After that I typed in the coordinates in the Foretrex. The mapping GPSr gave me a nice route to the location then switched to the compass pointer and distance to get me to ground zero. The Foretrex from the start displayed bearing and straightline distance to the location. While you can certainly get there on that alone unless you're very familiar with the area I think a lot more preperation in the way of maps or looking on Google Earth to find the route to the cache. This is probably not such a big deal when looking for rural caches but for urbans it sure does save a lot of frustration.

I think going unprepared is a disadvantage. But if someone doesn't look at a map, or take some along, or have them on their gps unit, that it their choice :D.

No!!

Go here

Gotta love it.

I installed it. It asked for a label and my coordinates. Seems to be running but I don't see the link.

Edited by jackrock
:) I think the biggest cheaters are those that use a computer to look up geocaches and to download the coords to a gpsr(mapping or ortherwise). I miss the good old days when you had to write to Groundspeak ( enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope) asking for the closest 10 geo caches in your area. Yep, FTF races were'nt so common back then - nor were LLP micros. Yes, technology is a cruel taskmaster indeed! ;):):P Edited by Sean Connery

I never even thought about this being unfair. The GPS is the only thing my dh will listen to for directions, whithout it we might never get there. There are times that the mapping actually throws you off and you would do better with just the compass. For heading to trails say 20 miles away it is great! Once you get there you're still down to the compass and your geosense. I wouldn't want to try anything out of the local area without it!

Wow! That is exactly what me and my buddy do. This is not an unfair advantage. If you can afford it, get one. Caching is caching.

Cheating? I hope not or I might as well quit this game. I can't imagine trying to find some obscure park on printed map.

The only reason I got my last cash was because I was traveling for work and when we went to a restaurant the "Mypal" was screaming cache within 100yds. Had to do the cache just to shut it up. It was interesting for a park & Grab and I did introduce my co-workers to Geocaching.

Edited by yyzdnl