Dog Walkers Caches

As myself and jennie.m had a very similar idea about trying to set up a network of Dog Walker caches across the UK, I emailed her about the idea and she emailed me back and asked me to float the idea in the forums to see what kind of a response we would get.

Would you be interested in helping us to set up a net work of Dog Walker Caches across the UK. :D

Only 3 very simple rules as we want nothing technical or complicated.

1. All caches must be fully dog friendly, meaning the dog can go from the car to the cache and back again with out any obstruction getting in their way, meaning no stiles they have to be lifted over ect.

2. You set the cache, you maintain the cache, and preferably a traditional cache with swaps as a lot of families with children cache with dogs.

3. The cache will be called Dog Walkers Cache - (your county) (your dogs name)

So our will be called ......... Dog Walkers Cache - Durham (Jess)

Would you like to help us! :D

It would be great if we could get at least one of these in each county in the UK.

You don't have to even be a dog owner, just a dog friendly cache for other cachers.

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I can't actually think of anywhere else to put a cache at the moment - or at least, not until I hear back from my locacl council. However, several of my caches are dog-friendly, and are placed along routes that I have found whilst out dog walking with my mum.

(hehe, that sounds weird! I mean with my mum and her dog, of course! :D)

From what I understand though, your idea is to place new caches, rather than adding descriptions or changing title of old ones - is that correct?

I can't actually think of anywhere else to put a cache at the moment - or at least, not until I hear back from my locacl council. However, several of my caches are dog-friendly, and are placed along routes that I have found whilst out dog walking with my mum.

(hehe, that sounds weird! I mean with my mum and her dog, of course! )

From what I understand though, your idea is to place new caches, rather than adding descriptions or changing title of old ones - is that correct?

You could just set a cache where you walk your dog on a daily basis, and yes we would like a new set of caches to cover the UK called Dog Walker Caches

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

It would be nice if these were really good places for the dogs to go to, where they could have fun, not get told off for chasing sheep, not have to stay on their leads the whole time, and do the things dogs love to do (sniff about, stick their heads down rabbit holes, and get wet and muddy according to my dogs!) Think "where would the dog choose to go for a walk?" :D

Most of mine are dog friendly apart from Allt Glais, which is in a field of sheep with open access.

I would love to set a doggy cache, and had originally thought that I would include some treats for the hounds in my caches, but thought the smell of food would encouage unwanted attention from other animals.

If I find somewhere suitable, I would be happy to place one :laughing:

Most of mine are dog friendly apart from Allt Glais, which is in a field of sheep with open access.

I would love to set a doggy cache, and had originally thought that I would include some treats for the hounds in my caches, but thought the smell of food would encouage unwanted attention from other animals.

If I find somewhere suitable, I would be happy to place one :laughing:

We have a cache called Jess's cache already that has dog treats in, in a sealed bag, they have been there a while and seem OK although there is a big stone in front of it.

M :laughing:

We were in good old A S D A this am getting supplies for returning to school and guess what we saw next to the ladies jewellery........some doggie and pussie charms and spangley leads and collers......yeah not in the pet aisle!

Whatever next?

ps were thinking of placing a pet themed cache so may well be up for this one ....just waiting to hear back from BoP re potential cache sites!

Hi Mandy,

Have a look at my own caches and then ask me whether I want to set a dog themed cache!

Sea Dog

Collie's Climb

Sheepdogs at Stansted

Black and White at Havant

The Dog's Tale

Dog Tracks

One Man and His Dogs

Dog's Home

Dog Collar

Muddy Paws

Canine Conundrum

West Stoke Walkies

Bosham Border

Prickly Paws

Dog Training

Dog Wood

Border Collie Path

Dog Paddle

Rod

Oh wow that's great.

I have just read the page too and the cache is filled with doggie stuff too :anibad: Asda is doing packs of 3 coloured tennis balls for 50p so I will go and get a few packs of those tomorrow, to fill a cache (if Jess does not gt them first :anibad: )

I didn't think folks seemed very interested.

If anyone would like to set a dog walkers cache, please let us know your dogs name and county, I will make a list soon.

Watch out for Dog Walkers Cache - Durham - Jess........

This weekend :o

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Below is a list of counties if you would be willing to set a Dog Walkers Cache in any of these please let me know.

Let me know your county and dogs name, and when the cache goes live.

I think we would be happy if 20/30 caches could be set. :anibad:

ENGLAND

Bedfordshire

Berkshire

Buckinghamshire

Cambridgeshire

Cheshire

Cornwall

Cumbria

Derbyshire

Devon

Dorset

Durham....................Jess

Essex

Glouchestershire

Greater Manchester

Hampshire

Herefordshire

Hertfordshire

Huntingdonshire

Kent

Lancashire

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Merseyside

Middlesex

Norfolk

Northamptonshire

Northumberland

Nottinghamshire

Oxfordshire

Rutland

Shropshire

Somerset

Staffordshire

Suffolk

Surrey

Sussex

Tyne & Wear

Warwickshire

West Midlands

Wiltshire

Worcestershire

Yorkshire

SCOTLAND

Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire

Angus

Argyll & Bute

Clackmannanshire

Dumfries & Galloway

Dundee

East Ayrshire

East Dunbartonshire

East Lothian

East Renfrewshire

Edinburgh

Falkirk

Fife

Glasgow

Highland

Inverclyde

Midlothian

Moray

North Ayrshire

North Lanarkshire

Perth & Kinross

Renfrewshire

Scottish Borders

South Ayrshire

South Lanarkshire

Stirling

West Dunbartonshire

West Lothian

WALES

Blaenau Gwent

Bridgend

Caerphilly

Cardiff

Carmarthenshire

Ceredigion..............................Colin (live)

Conwy

Denbighshire

Flintshire

Gwynedd

Merthyr Tydfil

Monmouthshire

Neath Port Talbot

Newport

Pembrokeshire

Powys

Rhondda Cynon Taff

Swansea

Torfaen

Vale of Glamorgan

Wrexham

:anicute: Have 5 Caches under Weties walkks in the Hants/Surry/Berks borders if anybody wants to do them, none of them are difficult and with some I have added cache and dash options for the less dog friendly.

West Highland terriers will only take so much exercise before they do a Mule impersonation so the 4 at Yateley heath woods would be a 3 mile walk at the most.

Westie Walker :P

As myself and jennie.m had a very similar idea about trying to set up a network of Dog Walker caches across the UK, I emailed her about the idea and she emailed me back and asked me to float the idea in the forums to see what kind of a response we would get.

Would you be interested in helping us to set up a net work of Dog Walker Caches across the UK. :P

Only 3 very simple rules as we want nothing technical or complicated.

1. All caches must be fully dog friendly, meaning the dog can go from the car to the cache and back again with out any obstruction getting in their way, meaning no stiles they have to be lifted over ect.

2. You set the cache, you maintain the cache, and preferably a traditional cache with swaps as a lot of families with children cache with dogs.

3. The cache will be called Dog Walkers Cache - (your county) (your dogs name)

So our will be called ......... Dog Walkers Cache - Durham (Jess)

Would you like to help us! :P

It would be great if we could get at least one of these in each county in the UK.

You don't have to even be a dog owner, just a dog friendly cache for other cachers.

Mandy :rolleyes:

The problem I find with routes where dog walkers go, it that they normally have a trail of Dog s**t along them. Now I'm acusing no one here, but it is the bad walkers that make dog owners look bad.

The problem I find with routes where dog walkers go, it that they normally have a trail of Dog s**t along them. Now I'm acusing no one here, but it is the bad walkers that make dog owners look bad.

I agree that this disgusting behaviour can ruin a great walk, so if you know a place that suffers in this way, why not place a cache with a variation on CITO, "cache in c@*p out". Put a pack of dog mess bags and prehaps some disposable gloves in the cache, and give the co-ords of the nearest bin. Visitors to the cache can help to clean up the area.

Below is a list of counties if you would be willing to set a Dog Walkers Cache in any of these please let me know.

Let me know your county and dogs name, and when the cache goes live.

I think we would be happy if 20/30 caches could be set. :anicute:

ENGLAND

Bedfordshire

Berkshire

Buckinghamshire

Cambridgeshire

Cheshire

Cornwall

Cumbria

Derbyshire

Devon

Dorset

Durham....................Jess

Essex

Glouchestershire

Greater Manchester

Hampshire

Herefordshire

Hertfordshire

Huntingdonshire

Kent

Lancashire

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Merseyside

Middlesex

Norfolk

Northamptonshire

Northumberland

Nottinghamshire

Oxfordshire

Rutland

Shropshire

Somerset

Staffordshire

Suffolk

Surrey

Sussex

Tyne & Wear

Warwickshire

West Midlands

Wiltshire

Worcestershire

Yorkshire

SCOTLAND

Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire

Angus

Argyll & Bute

Clackmannanshire

Dumfries & Galloway

Dundee

East Ayrshire

East Dunbartonshire

East Lothian

East Renfrewshire

Edinburgh

Falkirk

Fife

Glasgow

Highland

Inverclyde

Midlothian

Moray

North Ayrshire

North Lanarkshire

Perth & Kinross

Renfrewshire

Scottish Borders

South Ayrshire

South Lanarkshire

Stirling

West Dunbartonshire

West Lothian

WALES

Blaenau Gwent

Bridgend

Caerphilly

Cardiff

Carmarthenshire

Ceredigion..............................Colin (live)

Conwy

Denbighshire

Flintshire

Gwynedd

Merthyr Tydfil

Monmouthshire

Neath Port Talbot

Newport

Pembrokeshire

Powys

Rhondda Cynon Taff

Swansea

Torfaen

Vale of Glamorgan

Wrexham

I was thinking about adding some but it appears Northern Ireland is no longer part of the UK according to this post. better let the Mods know as there are loads of UK caches in N.I

Edited by Donmoore

I agree that this disgusting behaviour can ruin a great walk, so if you know a place that suffers in this way, why not place a cache with a variation on CITO, "cache in c@*p out". Put a pack of dog mess bags and prehaps some disposable gloves in the cache, and give the co-ords of the nearest bin. Visitors to the cache can help to clean up the area.

Nice idea Jennie, but why should we clear up after other people's dogs?? You may well have noticed that some of my Rainbow Series caches are spoiled by the **** left by muggles with their dogs. (Not accusing cachers I hasten to add!!) I have even been at one of them while the owner stood there and ignored his dog while it "did the business" :sunsure:

Another favourite game at a certain spot (not a cache site thank goodness) is to pick the mess up and then leave the bag hanging in the bushes. :lol: Community art? I dont think so :D

Not wishing to offend any dog owners, and I am certainly not "anti dog" - I have just become a surrogate mother to a lovely springer spaniel who I am intending to take caching soon.Maybe I will set a special cache for him :D

Although I do agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread it is now going off topic ;)

What myself and Jennie set this thread up for was to see if any would like to help us to set up a small network of Dog Walker Caches.

It does not look like many people seem very interested in the OP, I will leave it a couple of more days and if we get no replies we will give this up as a bad idea.

I do know lots of cachers have dogs and I thought maybe a few would have liked to help out and set up a few caches for fun for other dog walking cachers.

My appologise to Donmoore for not including Ireland in my list, the list I copied and pasted was from my Counties TB which is just for mainland UK, that is why Ireland and it's counties were not on the list. If you would like to set a Dog Walkers Cache in Ireland please do so and let us know.

M ;)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Although I do agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread it is now going off topic :rolleyes:

What myself and Jennie set this thread up for was to see if any would like to help us to set up a small network of Dog Walker Caches.

It does not look like many people seem very interested in the OP, I will leave it a couple of more days and if we get no replies we will give this up as a bad idea.

I do know lots of cachers have dogs and I thought maybe a few would have liked to help out and set up a few caches for fun for other dog walking cachers.

M :angry:

Just read this thread, great idea. I've been getting my first cache together to place on a walk I do with Sam.

I was wondering what to call it but now I know! :unsure:

Nottinghamshire - Sam

Hoping to place soon.

Den.