Walmart-GPS price gouging

I read it, and didn't really get offended, even though, I, too, shop at Wal-Mart, have all my own teeth, and am proud of my IQ.

I considered it a post by someone trying to be funny and wasn't very successful. He didn't offend me, though.

Eh...perhaps you're right...maybe comedy just isn't this person's forte...

...It may apply to most stores, but that does not make it any better... does it?

If it were true, no, it doesn't make it better. My experience has always been different. I bump into walls getting tech support, not replacing defective items or working with store managment face to face.

Edited by Renegade Knight
2. You can also play the Wal Mart Game. Try to find a family of 4 with one of the following two things:

2a) enough teeth among them to equal one full set

2b) a cumulative IQ over 80

I'm actually offended by this.

My wife and I are both college graduates with a kid and we shop there to save money. We certainly have all our teeth and we no doubt exceed the IQ test handily.

While I have most of my teeth and and I like to think I have an IQ that takes more than my finges and toes to count, our Wal Mart sure as heck seems to draw one heck of a lot of folks that could be described as "Classic Redneck". I also shop at Wal Mart and when I do, it's uncanny, I don't see these folks as I go about my life, but when I go to wal mart they are there in full force. I call the place the Redneck Mothership.

Since Wal Mart does not discriminate on who can shop they do let people in with all their teeth, and who have IQ's that hit tripple digits.

First, someone made a mistake. Whether it was the Home Office sending the wrong price points to the store or it was the guy in sporting goods putting the wrong label on the wrong items, mistakes happen. When people point them out to the store, they are typically very good at correcting them. After all, having a mistake like that is really, really bad for business. It takes something like 20 great shopping experiences to make up for one lousy one. After all, if Jedi Cacher (the OP) had gone into the store and found the items he was shopping for at the prices he expected, we wouldn't be talking about it right now. Instead, he found pricing errors and came in here and got lots of people all riled up.

The Garmin was overpriced by $178. Jedi Cacher talked to the manager and the manager made things right.

No, after torturng the guy for an hour the manager sold one unit for the same price he could have gotten it off the web. Then a week later the inflated price was still on the shelves. What part of that is "making it right"?

Do you believe the 'hour' part of the post? Somehow I get the idea that if we could hear the manager's side of the story it might sound different. That's just speculation on my part, of course.

Besides, whatever number the store wants to set for their asking price is their business. There's nothing illegal about setting one's pricing way above what the market would otherwise indicate, or even treating one's customers poorly. It's up to the customer whether to buy or not.

Bad business isn't a crime. It's just poor judgment.

Do you suppose Jedi Cacher would have brought the mistake to the attention of the manager if the Garmin had been mistakenly underpriced by $178? Do you suppose he would have insisted on paying the correct price then?

And how quickly do you think the store would have *corrected* an underpricing mistake?

About as quickly as the OP jumped on the overpricing, I would imagine. Your point?

I'm sure he would have, but let's just say he didn't, hypothetically speaking -- would that qualify as some kind of reverse gouging? Would/should that be illegal?

This fairness thing works both ways. Something to think about whenever people are bashing big, evil, greedy corporations.

So you think that Walmart is a "big, evil, greedy corporation" too? :(

Big? Yes. Evil? No. Greedy? I don't think a fair definition of that word even exists. One man's "greed" is another man's "ambition."

On an unrelated note: Do you ever find that you have trouble detecting sarcasm? :)

2. You can also play the Wal Mart Game. Try to find a family of 4 with one of the following two things:

2a) enough teeth among them to equal one full set

2b) a cumulative IQ over 80

I freaking hate that store...........

[Edit]

Sheesh..... you can't use a letter b and a parend without getting a smiley face like this ;)

I'm actually offended by this.

My wife and I are both college graduates with a kid and we shop there to save money. We certainly have all our teeth and we no doubt exceed the IQ test handily.

You don't have to be stupid to shop at Wal-Mart.

Perhaps you might try to think a bit before posting, pal...you might not come off as such an ignorant person.

Thank you! I get so tired of the whole 'Evil Wal-Mart' bit. If someone wants to blow a whole lot of extra money just to say they don't support 'evil' Wal-Mart, be my guest. But my question is this if so many people are of the oppinion that Wal-Mart is evil (and just think of how often you here that oppinion), then why are they so successful? They are building a new Wal-Mart in our town and of course a large group is bent on stopping them at any cost. I think that Wal-Mart should pay careful attention to who these people are and the first time they try to shop in the new store tell them they aren't welcome. Of course that would never happen.

When I purchased my new Magellan, I called every walmart within 75 miles and none of them had it in stock. I finally found it at Gander Mountain.

All the WM people were very helpful on the phone even though none of them made the sale.

Actually, I have been able to beat their price on a LOT of electronic gadgets. Best Buy seems to beat them almost every time on this type of merch, but sometimes the difference isn't worth the difference in travel.

Like pretty much any other business, they are higher on some things and lower on others. many times this is a deliberate sales tactic ("loss leader"). They sell a popular item or two at a ridiculously low price and hope you buy the higher stuff while you are there.

There is nothing "evil" going on here, just good and SUCCESSFUL merchandising.

I really don't think WM is trying to monopolize, they are just good at what they do and provide a very valuable service to their communities.

Where else do you suppose you could buy that replacement GPSr at 02:00 so you could get that FTF that you've been searching for all night?

Service costs money. Many times it is worth it.