Garmin Quest for caching

I got my directionally challenged daughter a Quest for voice prompts and autorouting at Christmas two years ago. She and my son-in-law have used to find tons of caches. In my opinion, it isn't quite as rugged as my 60C, but they are careful with it out of the car, and it works fine.

If you check the FAQ thread pinned at the top of this forum, you'll find a link to the Elsinga family's Quest review page. They have a discussion there of using the Quest for caching.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I love the Quest for car use, and people certainly use it for caching. My experience has been that it does poorly under foliage keeping a lock, though. I would expect (and I think people have reported) that an external antenna will get you around that problem.

Quest is great for caching, and an external antenna will almost certainly eliminate signal issues. It will also eliminate durability issues as the only potentially fragile part is the fold-out antenna and that is not out when using an external. Remember, the Quest is fully waterproof, and a screen protector is a must for any model you do not want to scratch. Sometimes I keep mine in a case when on the trail but more often I do not since I invested in an Invisible Shield screen protector. It stays in my pocket most of the time, attached to a retractable belt clip in case it gets dropped. The antenna stays out, stuck magnetically to a clip on my hat or collar and rarely losing signal, even under heavy cover.

Before I got mt 60csx I used a Quest. I think it worked fine. Signal lock was a problem some times, but most of the time it was fine. There are a couple things I'd like to see done differently, but all and all it works good.

(Things I'd like to see differently:

1) ability to see actual distance instead of rounding to neerest 10 or 100'

2) included geocaching mode

3) ability to store more than 500 waypoints