conserve battery life

What can I do to make my batteries last longer. On a recent trip I was changing batteries every 12 hrs :laughing: .

I still want tracking enabled and I turned off WAAS. I use Duracell Procell batteries.

Most Garmins have a battery saver mode. Not so good for tracklogs (that's my understanding but I do not know for sure). but it does do a bit to extend your battery life.

I don't know of the Procell batteries are NiMH but the new NiMH's seem to last longer than the Alkalines did but I'm using an older GPS.

Newer GPSs are more efficient in thier use of batteris. You can go with rechargable batteries so you really dont' care. Or you can run Lithium which cost a lot more but last noticibly longer.

I agree, just go rechargable. I use NiMh AAs and I've got a Maha charger that plugs into the car so I can charge underway if I need to. They pay for themselves after the second charging or so. I've been using a few of mine for over 5 years and they are still working just great. When I go on a run, I keep a couple charged sets in my pack so I can swap them out when needed.

Battersaver mode does help, but I've found it doesn't work so well for geocaching (plus it disables WAAS).

I agree, just go rechargable. I use NiMh AAs and I've got a Maha charger that plugs into the car so I can charge underway if I need to. They pay for themselves after the second charging or so. I've been using a few of mine for over 5 years and they are still working just great. When I go on a run, I keep a couple charged sets in my pack so I can swap them out when needed.

Battersaver mode does help, but I've found it doesn't work so well for geocaching (plus it disables WAAS).

also the energizer lithium ions do really well with elctronics. I have had a piece of equipment that on normal batteries last 12-14 hours, but on the energizer lith ion last 20-24. Worth a shot if you dont want to go rechargeable. These batteries are a tad more expensive though.

Just an FYI.

I just saw this at Wal-mart yesterday. They have 2 2100mah NIMH AA batteries with AC charger for $4.20 (maybe a few cents more.)

They claim 1000 recharges per battery - but take 16 hours to charge.

I remember thinking $4 for recargable batteries and charger?

They also had 4 AA and charger for $9.xx (under 10) Again 16 hours to charge.

I do not know how well they work though.

I did not have good luck with Off-brand rechargeable batteries. :laughing:

I bought a 15-minute Energizer charger that came with four 2500 mAmp batteries at Target for about $25.00. For a bit more money you can get the same setup with the cigarette-lighter adapter as well.

For long back-packing trips, it might be better to get the more-expensive Lithium-ion batteries, but if you are going to have access to power, the 15-minute Energizer rechargeables work very well. :rolleyes:

So how much does having WAAS enabled shorten battery life ? Or is having WAAS enabled not a factor ?
WAAS is a factor and so is just about any feature. If you don't need it then turn it off. Also I recommend buying the auto cable to power ther GPS from your cigarette lighter to maximize battery life. The coolest part about using this cable is that is keeps your GPS lit up at night! :D Edited by TrailGators

another vote for the rechargeable batteries. I keep an extra set or two in my bag and usually end up swapping batteries ever other caching trip. Well, that depends on how much I play with the GPSr while sitting at home (60cx and still trying to learn all the stuff it does).

I did the cigarette lighter adapter too - basically cigarette lighter to USB plug. But if the weather is nice I ride my motorcycle as you can't beat 45 mpg driving around trying to find caches. I need a handle bar mount for the GPSr though....

im such a dork because i bought a solar charger that mounts on my backpack, called the solar claw. i havent used it in the field yet for fear ill get beat up by some passing hiker on grounds of being a nerd but one day ill pull it out but for now ill just bring spare batts. :o:o:o:o:o:o