slightly off topic

I've always wondered how to pronounce it - I'd imagined foyne-avon but am probably totally wrong.

I think that's how the racehorse was pronounced. There is a much-told story in my family about how my grandfather almost, but didn't quite, bet £1 on it, which at 100/1 would have yielded a small fortune in those days.

The mountain in Scotland is pronounced "FON-yaaven" by my hill-yomping friends, although a quick Google for confirmation turns up various alternatives. While I'm by no means an expert on these things, it looks like it's already a corruption of the original Gaelic name... so I guess all bets are off.

The scottish mountain is spelt with an E not an O, now I think the owners of the race horse made an error because they also had a (much better) horse called Arkle. Arkle is the neighbouring mountain to Foinaven.

I have been a hiker/hill walker for longer than I have been a cacher and to this day the walk up Foinaven remains the best walk I have ever done. It was this that led me to my caching name (even though I made the same mistake as the racehorse owners). Foinaven is largely an ignored mountain, the reason is that mountain walkers like Geocachers can get sidetracked by pointless statistics and Foinaven is not a Munro (i.e . it is not 3000ft high it only misses it by a few feet its something like 2993) so people don't bother with it. Mountain Walkers often talk about their "Munro Count", the same way that geocachers talk about their "found" count. For what its worth my Munro Count is about 15 and I think there are about 290 of them.

I've always wondered how to pronounce it - I'd imagined foyne-avon but am probably totally wrong.

I think that's how the racehorse was pronounced. There is a much-told story in my family about how my grandfather almost, but didn't quite, bet £1 on it, which at 100/1 would have yielded a small fortune in those days.

The mountain in Scotland is pronounced "FON-yaaven" by my hill-yomping friends, although a quick Google for confirmation turns up various alternatives. While I'm by no means an expert on these things, it looks like it's already a corruption of the original Gaelic name... so I guess all bets are off.

Edited by Foinavon