When you get fed up with your caching partner

sacred6

When your caching partner loses his cool and becomes frustrated and yells at you like my dad does, even though you are more experienced, what do you do? :rolleyes: Well, I would always want to be :rolleyes: or do this :laughing: to him, but you need to do something more subtle to get him back. What is your way of cooling down your hot headed partner? <_<

When your caching partner loses his cool and becomes frustrated and yells at you like my dad does, even though you are more experienced, what do you do? :rolleyes: Well, I would always want to be <_< or do this :laughing: to him, but you need to do something more subtle to get him back. What is your way of cooling down your hot headed partner? :ph34r:

Hello youngster,

I men all this to be helpful, not hurtful. ;)

First he's your Dad so be respectful, teenagers are rebellious and resentful towards their parents anyway, it's part of the natural transition from being totally dependent on them to being independent.

Second I question your experience, you,ve been a member for about 6 months, you'ver placed 14 caches, 10 of those 14 caches have been archived already, most after just a couple of finds. Were I a reviewer and you submitted another new cache i would scrutinize it and question it very intensely. Most teens think they know far more than they do, and that thier parents know far less than they do, later on you'll learn how little you really know and how much your dad really knows.

So in view of the few facts and the vast amount of life experience I have I say listen to your Dad, agree when you can, disagree respectfully when you can't, and remember this is only a game/hobby and you'll wish he was still caching with you long after he no longer can.

Now if it were a friend I'd say dump him as a cache partner and find someone else, but you can't dump your dad. :rolleyes:

When your caching partner loses his cool and becomes frustrated and yells at you like my dad does, even though you are more experienced, what do you do? :rolleyes: Well, I would always want to be :rolleyes: or do this :laughing: to him, but you need to do something more subtle to get him back. What is your way of cooling down your hot headed partner? <_<

First you have to know them. When you do know them you will know or learn what cools them off. For some it's humor for some it's space, for some it's yelling right back in their face, for some it's keeping your own cool etc.

Without knowing your dad, I really can't tell you what his 'cool down' buttons are. I can tell you that the odds are you know what buttons to push to make him angry. So don't push those. :ph34r:

When I’m out in the deep woods with my caching buddy and he is trying my patience, I just remind him of how good I am at hiding things in the woods that I don’t want to be found easily by others. That tends to make ‘em think twice about what they are doing. :laughing:

First, remember to honor thy mother and father.

Second, think! Why is he becoming frustrated and blowing up? If it is something you are doing, what can you do differently?

Fathers, particularly those who really care, have a hard time with their little girls growing up. In a few years, you will be going off to college, or worse, getting married. He will no longer be right there to protect you, to watch over your actions. Trust me, this is experience speaking now, this is really hard! Give reassurance that you will always be his baby.

As far as any interpersonal problems go, sometimes the best response is ... no reponse. Maybe that's just the way he is, and you have to get over it. I'm sure he's geocaching with you because he wants your company. Value the time you have together. :rolleyes:

When I was a teen, I couldn't believe how stupid my parents were. :laughing:

Several years later, I couldn't believe how much they wised up in a few years! :rolleyes:

And since my father died two years ago, two days after Christmas, I keep thinking back on how much I miss him. <_<

Edited by michigansnorkeler

First, the OP did not say their partner WAS their dad, they said he ACTED like their dad.

Second, if the partner is yelling when he should be having fun, they are taking this WAY too seriously. Caching is a fun pasttime, not a race.

Third, uncontrolled yelling often indicates a more serious problem on the yeller's part, such as anger management issues, or other emotional issues, such as blaming someone else for their own problems. You have to decide if this is the kind of person you want to hang around with. Can you handle the yelling or not?

If you can, great, hang around them but don't complain, it's your choice to cache with them. If not, find another partner.

You will find that, as you grow up, you will have to make difficult decisions like this again and again.

I'd let fire ants loose in his bed while he is sleeping. Or duct tape his car ... the whole thing. Or put saran wrap over the toilet. Or steal all his shoelaces. Or staple him to a table. Or delete all his find logs.

Don't cut him any slack, that's for sure.

Um, or you could go geocaching instead.

I cache with my grandson.He has a deadbeat dad that wont have anything to do with him .I try and do what I can but sometimes I get mad at him because he thinks he knows it all.When I yell at him for doing something all he needs to say to calm me down and make me laugh is...." :) Grandpa i'm only 4" :(I hope he will always want to go caching with me

Edited by halffast

I'm about ready to ditch my occasional cache partner. She's only somewhat interested. She's been bad about picking up travel bugs and not dropping them. I have to harrass her to get her to drop them. She also doesn't log her finds. I've had to detangle several log problems for her. So, my new rules are, if she goes with me: no picking up traveling items and she can't sign the log book unless she logs the find within 2 days. She doesn't seem to quite grasp that the hunt isn't all about HER fun. I just need to find someone who actually LIKES doing this...who feels a little joie de vivre about the hunt and recognizes the importance of the various rules.

The only time my hubby and I disagree is when I give him the wrong directions to the cache location. Say we have to turn around the third time, because we missed the road. In this instance, the next cache day, I make him naviagator and I be driver. My suggestion is change roles, put your feet in his shoes for a day...