Yellow etrex computer cable

I have had a yellow etrex for awhile now for geocaching. I have recently been looking into the computer cables and I'm a little interested in one but am not sure what all I can do with one. My unit is really basic and I am just wondering what all I can do with a cable if I buy it. Do I have to buy software for it? Anyone have/had one to tell about?

If you get a cable to connect to your computer, you can download geocaches and load them to your unit. If you are a premium member, you can download pocket quarries (up to 500 caches, for example the nearest 500 to your home coordinates or zipcode) to your email address. This really saves time from having to enter the coordinates by hand, and eliminates any chance that you will enter the wrong coordinates. If you are a regular member, you will be limited to downloading a few caches at a time. But it will still save from having to enter the coordinates by hand.

The data cable can also be used to get waypoints off your gps (if you took some points and want to look at them on a map) and also download tracks from your gps.

I already had Mapsource Topo software from work, so I am not sure what software you will need to use on your computer. I think that Mapsource Trip and Waypoints manager (usually comes free with a garmin gps) or EasyGPS (free program from internet) or GSAK (another program off the internet that is free at first but then needs to be registered for $20 - find either under the Resources button on Geocaching.com) will manage waypoints (geocaches) and send them to your GPS unit.

Overall, if you geocache quite a bit, the cable will be really handy to transfer the geocache coordinates. It will save you some time and is a lot easier than manually entering the data.