A cache in your own front garden.

Just wondering whether anyone has placed a cache in their own front garden.

Would be very easy with regards to maintenance, and could also be wheelchair friendly (depending on the garden I suppose!)

I know many people like to find urban micros - but how would you feel, finding a real cache, in an urban garden?

Just a thought!

Any comments most welcome!

I think The Gecko's, near Cardiff, had one, but it's been archived now after it got muggled.

I've often thought that if I lived in a scenic location, I would love to put a nano on the gate (and make it premium members only), but I just live in a boring semi, so I don't think anyone would appreciate it very much!

From the other perspective though, I would feel weird looking for a cache in someone's garden, even if I knew I had permission and it was the right garden. I'd feel paranoid that someone was watching me from inside the house, or that the neighbours were about to report me to the police!

Would be very easy with regards to maintenance, and could also be wheelchair friendly (depending on the garden I suppose!)

I know many people like to find urban micros - but how would you feel, finding a real cache, in an urban garden?

Just a thought!

Locally Dodgy David has a proper cache in his front garden, Ihave the road sign outside of my house "sign of Devon in Hampshire" it is only a micro but it has made a few cacher knock on my door and introduce themselves so I would recommend doing it to anyone who has the oppertunity :laughing:

I did a cache in a garden once and this strange lady kept pestering me.

Kept muttering something about tea :laughing::rolleyes:

My cache says that the nearest house says beware of the Westie on a sign outside so that might give a few cachers the hint that if spotted it is likely to be a member of my family who if not understand caching comiserate with us poor unfortunates

Just a thought!

Locally Dodgy David has a proper cache in his front garden, I

....and I have met many cachers there, some have had a cuppa, some a chat and about 0200 one morning I shared a cigar and several glasses of wine with a German duo :ph34r::rolleyes: ....not to mention 2 bottles of bubbles left for friends on a milestone :laughing::rolleyes:<_<

Have met a few cahing friends who I have done caches with through their bravery in knocking on my door, have missed a few because I was out caching but I would encourage anybody to do my cache and make themselves known, a lot of the caches that I have done have been with douglasf, this does not have to be a solitary game and a caching buddy makes it a bit more fun. Doug puts up with my Terrier and I put up with his kids.

We've got one in the woods at the top of our garden and love it when you can hear cachers there tring to find the cache. We've had quite a few stop by for a cuppa.

We've just done a cache this afternoon opposite a cacher's house in Oswestry - the cache owner kindly came out to say hello and offer "cold", "very cold", "warm" comments as my GPS was pointing to the middle of the road so could not help.

Thanks for all the replies to my question!

It was just something I was thinking about in the bath tonight!

I was diagnosed with a chronic nerve disease last year, so caching for me has very much slowed down.

However, on a good day, I still like to walk (and wobble) a bit, and find the odd cache or two!

Easy caches are definately the cache of choice for me now though!

I 'own' a couple of caches that aren't too far away from me, but due to my diminishing abilities, I was wondering how the future for cache setting (for me) could work out.

So, I thought of putting one in my own front garden.

Now, I dont live anywhere particularly interesting, though I hope I could put together a reasonably interesting multi cache that could be done by anyone - even with a wheelchair, in half an hour or so.

Like I said, it was just a thought - and as the mods will most likely approve it, I might even place it!

Though there'd be no need to knock on the door, and I certainly wont be spying on cachers finding it, at least I'd be in a really good position to maintain the cache and keep it stocked up with goodies!

Any further comments???

Edited by doctor scotland

....and I have met many cachers there, some have had a cuppa, some a chat and about 0200 one morning I shared a cigar and several glasses of wine with a German duo

Drat, I was there an hour too late. I was there at 3am I think it was one morning a few years ago? If I'd known a cigar and wine was available at 2am I'd have driven faster! Sorry to wake you up as we drove off, hehe.

I 'own' a couple of caches that aren't too far away from me, but due to my diminishing abilities, I was wondering how the future for cache setting (for me) could work out.

Now, I dont live anywhere particularly interesting, though I hope I could put together a reasonably interesting multi cache that could be done by anyone - even with a wheelchair, in half an hour or so.

Like I said, it was just a thought - and as the mods will most likely approve it, I might even place it!

Though there'd be no need to knock on the door, and I certainly wont be spying on cachers finding it, at least I'd be in a really good position to maintain the cache and keep it stocked up with goodies!

Any further comments???

Submit it and as long as it meets the guidelines, we'll publish it with no problems :). But I'd advice your neighbours that they'll see strange people rummaging in your garden :D , just so they don't phone the Police out at 2am :D

[

Have you got the co-ords yet? :D

Yes... after a 120 mile round journey yesterday, in the heat!!!

Hmm 60 miles from your Home coordinates, I presume it's got a local maintainer :):D

Forces of Nature have one in their front garden. I must admit it did feel a bit odd rummaging around someone's property but it was accessible through the fence, so no need to actually go into the garden. Fortunately the day I found it they were out, so they didnt see the pig's ear I made of searching for it; we had not actually met at that time.

We did one in a garden at the Shrops event last year as well. I would definitley put one in my garden but it's probably too close to the Red cache in the castle.

I did Red Squadron's front garden cache last year but the first time I DNFed it as I wasn't prepared to go into someones garden. It was only later when discussing this cache with another team that I realised it was OK (I was a newbie at the time).

Soon I am moving to a nice secluded cottage next to a woodland that I have full use of so I wonder where my next cache might be placed :laughing:

Any further comments???

Submit it and as long as it meets the guidelines, we'll publish it with no problems :laughing:. But I'd advice your neighbours that they'll see strange people rummaging in your garden :laughing: , just so they don't phone the Police out at 2am :huh:

[

Have you got the co-ords yet? :o

Yes... after a 120 mile round journey yesterday, in the heat!!!

Hmm 60 miles from your Home coordinates, I presume it's got a local maintainer :laughing::P

Maybe a 120 mile journey but not 50 miles from home :)

Especially if having trouble getting out of a car park , that could rack up extra mileage Deceangi :D:D

Haven't got one in the front garden, although have been considering it, but we do have one in the back garden! It's not a loggable one because it's not listed on GC.com, its just for visitors to our house to find and sign the logbook. The mini Cache Hoppers set it yesterday :) and FTF was had by their big sister. I think if we place one in the front garden it will also be for our visitors only and a bit of fun for the little 'uns. B)

I've put one in my garden, thought it would be a good way to meet cachers and it has been,

Living in a ground floor flat it's usually quite easy to spot folks wandering up and down the street looking at the GPS, it's usually at that stage I wander out to say hello B)

I tried looking for this one over Christmas until a lady stopped me and told me all I would find was spiders! However, I will be back ... :)

It depends very much on location, if it's a scenic spot then possibly OK, but I can see little point, other than the cache placer's enjoyment, in placing a cache in a suburban front garden.

If I didn't know about caching I would be extremely suspicious if I saw someone furtively searching in neighbourhood gardens and driveways. It isn't possible to alert all neighbours, tradesmen, visitors etc, about what to expect and it can't be assumed that they would all be happy about it anyway.