Why Garmin? I’ll tell you why.

I agree with RR, I mean after all, when a product as used as it should (suction cup + windsheild = normal use) , and fails I would rush out in a relentless search of a replacement also. I hope the Garmin rep told you to use velcro on the new one to avoid this problem in the first place! :laughing:

Um...what?

I believe Ryan was being sarcastic about RR's vocal case of sour grapes.

Some good Saturday reading here in this thread. Me personally I'd rather pay few extra dollars to be able to have customer service like this. Though money is a driving factor one way to for a company to obtian it is to keep the customers you have happy in that many times a happy customer will buy again.

I agree with RR, I mean after all, when a product as used as it should (suction cup + windsheild = normal use) , and fails I would rush out in a relentless search of a replacement also. I hope the Garmin rep told you to use velcro on the new one to avoid this problem in the first place! :laughing:

Um...what?

I believe Ryan was being sarcastic about RR's vocal case of sour grapes.

I see...I'm a bit slow on the uptake today... :rolleyes:

Why..was this a Magellan is better type argument?? I'm talking about ANY business here...I wouldn't care if you were talking about Ford!

I guess you must not be understanding what I am trying to tell you..sorry you feel I was trying to win! By calling, writing or sending in frivilas complaints, you will eventually hurt yourself (and everyone else). The cost of operating a business will go up forcing the company to pass the costs on to the customer...and, the company in question (any company here) will also be forced to re-evaluate their CS practices. Then, when you really need them (when your unit stops working perhaps), you may be a bit miffed to find that the policies have changed and you'll need to jump through hoops to get any help! It happens!

Since the problem appears to be a suction cup, the company now seems to be looking for a replacement for that part...that's not free for them, and I'd bet the reason they used the first part was because they were cheaper (so the cost of the part will likely go up a bit). You were probably well within your right to call and ask for a replacement, just don't be surprised that the price may very well go up in the end!

BTW...YIPPPEEE!!!! I never win at anything!:laughing:

Word of mouth advertising is the strongest type and its free...garmin did the right thing. As others have said HE WANTED TO BUY a replacement. If he told them the story and they felt that he shouldnt have to buy one that is their poragative. For all any of us know there could have been a lot of defective suction cups and garmin knows about this hence why they so redily replaced it. They sent him a 20 dollar part after he purchased a 200+ dollar product from them. Now in the future when ever the OP needs a new GPS or if some one asks him what they should get he will buy and recomend garmin. So for the price of a mount they have just made themselves more money. They didn't have to do this, and i am sure they know how to run their business better than you do and they chose to do this...bravo garmin.

I wasn't as lucky. I needed a new belt clip knob (the one that screws into the back) for my 60CsX...maybe a .50c piece of equipment. I called hoping they'd be so nice and comp me the piece, but they wanted almost $20 bucks (w/ s/h) for the whole deal with the belt clip. This was a very minor negative episode, but negative nonetheless.

I wasn't as lucky. I needed a new belt clip knob (the one that screws into the back) for my 60CsX...maybe a .50c piece of equipment. I called hoping they'd be so nice and comp me the piece, but they wanted almost $20 bucks (w/ s/h) for the whole deal with the belt clip. This was a very minor negative episode, but negative nonetheless.

And that is unfortunate, but that could have been viewed as not from normal wear and tear. Everyone will have different xperiences with any company. It all depends on how you approach the CSR and on th CSR you talk to.

I broke the belt clip itself on a hike. I went looking for a replacement in our local REI and they said the dont carry them and so I called Garmin asking of they sold them as I couldnt find them at REI. The CSR took my address and said he would send the one he had on his desk which arrived a couple of days later. When the shipment arrived it included the button as well.

In case it helps bring this into perspective, this is a well known problem (well, at least outside this circle) with this class of products.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83789

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69658

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50057

I have many GPSes with rubber plunger mounts. I've never had problems with anything *but* the black Garmin mounts fail in this way and they've all had this same problem. My inventory of them that haven't failed is getting close enough to zero that I know I need to call Olathe and give them a chance to make it right. They've regularly done so for others, so I'm confident that they will when it's my turn, too.

That seemed to be the point of the OP's thread. They bozoed. They fixed it. Happiness ensued.

Not wrong at all A&F5...I did return a socket wrench to the local Sears and what I got back was pulled from a drawer beside the checkout...the tag on the wrench I was given was "refurbished"...how am I wrong with this assessment??

They must have known you were a Magellan user, and were used to lousy customer service...

:)

:D:D:D

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!That's awsome!!!!!HAHA!!!

I can't believe this is still going on!

Yeah I'd be mad as well if a company sent me a free replacement part that I intended to purchase. :)

yep...read and understood...

OK...you see it as the OP wrote it...now think about it from an observer's point...why call for a suction cup that you can replace for next to nothing unless to "complain"? OK, maybe the OP didn't go in and just tear the CS a new arse, but I'm thinking they were hoping for the turnout that came about. And great, I'm glad you got the replacement! BUT...after countless trivial probs like this, the CS will be forced to make changes to cut down on costs...it's the way things are done...sorry!

Hmmmmm........ My first GPSr was a GPSMAP 76CS. I bought a few "extras" for it including an external antenna. While removing the external antenna one day the end of the cable came off inside the socket of the GPSr. In the course of trying to remove the piece I managed to totally ruin the socket in the back of the GPSr. I called Garmin and told them I had ruined it and how it had happened and stated clearly that I wasn't looking for any kind of freebie but asked if they could repair it and how much it might cost. Garmin told me to send it in and they would cover it under warranty. I again explained that it was MY fault and I just wanted to know how much it might cost to fix it. Garmin insisted on fixing it for free. I sent the unit in and they sent me a brand new unit.

THAT is what the OP is talking about. Garmin customer service is incredible.

I agree, Garmin Service is great. They get enough on their products to give this after the sale service. That works for me, and it must them, or they wouldn't be doing it. Just the great service reviews in this one thread will come back to them many times over. I have 2 Magellens and 2 Garmins, and no comparision between the two companies for service, Garmin hands down. I called to get my Garmin 60 C repaired. Beyond the warrenty period. They sent me a new one.. I gave that to my son and then bought another one anyhow. Since then, four of my geocaching buddies have bought Garmin, also because of service. I don't see how they are loosing. I think its a well planned out and working program.

SwampYankee

yep...read and understood...

OK...you see it as the OP wrote it...now think about it from an observer's point...why call for a suction cup that you can replace for next to nothing unless to "complain"? OK, maybe the OP didn't go in and just tear the CS a new arse, but I'm thinking they were hoping for the turnout that came about. And great, I'm glad you got the replacement! BUT...after countless trivial probs like this, the CS will be forced to make changes to cut down on costs...it's the way things are done...sorry!

Haven't read through all the replies, so sorry if this is being repeated, but the main reason to call in over something like this is because good companies track problems. If there is a widespread problem they like to know so that they can better their products in the future and avoid problems like this.

While this may seem "trivial" or "unnecessary" to you it will actually decrease future CS calls because Garmin will know to be more attentive on this type of an issue. THAT is the true nature of CS in a good company. Good companies record, track and learn from their mistakes.

Edited by egami

I agree, Garmin Service is great. They get enough on their products to give this after the sale service. That works for me, and it must them, or they wouldn't be doing it. Just the great service reviews in this one thread will come back to them many times over. I have 2 Magellans and 2 Garmins, and no comparision between the two companies for service, Garmin hands down. I called to get my Garmin 60 C repaired. Beyond the warranty period. They sent me a new one.. I gave that to my son and then bought another one anyhow. Since then, four of my geocaching buddies have bought Garmin, also because of service. I don't see how they are losing. I think it's a well planned out and working program.

Well put. Here's my two cents. I think Garmin can afford to provide free replacement accessories and warranty repairs/replacements beyond the warranty period because of the sheer volume of product they sell. If you go and look at that huge GPS Inventory topic, Garmin far outsells Magellan. You figure the majority of Garmin owners won't need any support, repairs, or replacements. But for the handful who do need some help, the company knows it is in their best interest to build a good relationship with those customers. It takes only one bad experience to lose a customer and many good ones to win them back. What Garmin is doing is building good will with the customer so that if something goes wrong again later, the customer won't be so ticked off. A customer will be more forgiving if a company did something nice for them before. All this good will created by Garmin results in brand loyalty and future purchases.

I have actually received good repair service from Magellan. However, I will say that there seems to be a lot more dissatisfied Magellan owners. Magellan's India-based phone reps aren't helping to build good will toward the company. The lack of free accessories after getting your unit back from repair isn't building good will toward Magellan. They used to give freebies, now they don't. Magellan doesn't seem to be willing to go the extra mile like Garmin. For this reason, as well as frustrations with Magellan's autorouting, I will purchase a Garmin when I get a new computer with a DVD drive (so I can get the latest City Navigator) sometime next year.

Well... it appears that if you don't live in the States, Garmin can't send you any replacement anythings or accessories when calling their support line. Unfortunately, all they could do was give me the email of the Canadian repair facility... who as well can't send anything out.

So... that aspect kinda goes downhill when you're from anywhere other than the USA... but when talking to Garmin on the phone, it was top-notch :D. No wait time, very friendly, considerate of my plight, helped as best they could... excellent stuff.

And this coming from someone who's done phone tech support for about 7 years actually means a lot :D

Well... it appears that if you don't live in the States, Garmin can't send you any replacement anythings or accessories when calling their support line. Unfortunately, all they could do was give me the email of the Canadian repair facility... who as well can't send anything out.

So... that aspect kinda goes downhill when you're from anywhere other than the USA... but when talking to Garmin on the phone, it was top-notch :D. No wait time, very friendly, considerate of my plight, helped as best they could... excellent stuff.

And this coming from someone who's done phone tech support for about 7 years actually means a lot :D

I am in Canada and had warranty work performed on a StreetPilot. The process was hassle-free, fast, and they sent me an extra power cable with speaker for my second vehicle, and an extra beanbag mount. I was quite happy.

I just feel the need to add some kudos for Garmin today. I have a 1 year old 60 CSx. I somehow managed to rip one of those rubberized buttons off in my travels. (The zoom "IN" button to be exact) It looks to me like all of the buttons are probably all together in a one-piece membrane thing. I checked the website and those are not available for purchase so I called Garmin to ask if I could buy one. I made it very clear that I was not blaming the unit at all and I am just a clumsy oaf. The rep said they do not ship that part out, but if I sent it to them they would fix it for me for free!

It is rare to have my expectations exceeded. Way to go Garmin!

PS: they picked up the phone after 1 ring, I was connected to a technician after about 1 minute and finished with my entire call in less than 4 minutes total!

A lot of companies do that. For example, I got a free replacement for my camping cook gear bag, a free repair on my Patagonia Fleece jacket that some marmot chewed through, a free replacement part on my Kohler kitchen faucet, free bumpers for my KraftMade cabinets, free internal locking mechanism replacements for my colapsable hiking poles from REI, free McDonalds Big Mac at closing time, etc.

This is built into the cost that you pay for merchandise and makes real happy puppies. <_<

A lot of companies do that. For example, I got a free replacement for my camping cook gear bag, a free repair on my Patagonia Fleece jacket that some marmot chewed through, a free replacement part on my Kohler kitchen faucet, free bumpers for my KraftMade cabinets, free internal locking mechanism replacements for my colapsable hiking poles from REI, free McDonalds Big Mac at closing time, etc.

This is built into the cost that you pay for merchandise and makes real happy puppies. <_<

The thing I've noticed about Garmin customer service that isn't common is that it's relatively hassle free on top of being relatively quick. I've never had to fight with them about anything when getting a unit repaired. I've worked in IT for years now and have dealt with various electronics and computer manufacturers and while there are a lot of companies that do those types of things they aren't generally the tech-related companies.

I'd like to add my $0.02 about Garmin's customer support!

This past weekend, I was out caching and noticed that the "in" button on my 60csx had gotten torn right off the unit. I tried to run down to the local "in" button store so as to not drive up the prices of the Garmin units but they were fresh out of "in" buttons! (ok, I made up that last sentence).

I got on Garmin's website to contact tech support. I explained what happened and inquired about what steps I needed to take to get it repaired. I still have the email in case anyone questions whether I was complaining to get something for free.

Within 2 hours at approximately 11:30pm EST I received a reply with an RMA # and an address to send it to for repair. He added that since it was a fairly new unit, they would repair the unit at no cost to me. I emailed back a question about turn-around time and received a reply back within about 8 minutes that it would take about 10 days from the time they received my unit.

I have emailed them to make sure they received it and quickly got a reply that they have it in their possession.

And the day after my initial contact, I emailed them inquiring about a DVD for my Garmin Nuvi and received a reply back the same day that they were dropping one in the mail for me.

So far, I have been totally pleased with Garmin's support! It is support like that that will keep me coming back to Garmin. In fact, I am on my second Garmin handheld and my second Garmin car GPS, so I am a 4-time Garmin owner. Plus I have gotten by word of mouth several people to by at least 8 other Garmin units.

ETA: I hadn't read all the replies before I posted. I see that Vanillahip had the same problem as me.

Edited by markz68

markz68, how the heck did we rip the "in" button off?

I know the button was still on when I was at the cache. Then I got in the car and fastened my seatbelt with the GPS hanging on my belt in the beltclip. The next time I looked at it, I noticed the button missing. Looks like it ripped the top half of the button off.

My 60csx is at Garmin right now being repaired.

I did notice after the fact, that the "in" and "out" buttons stick up higher than the rest.

Have you seen any other cases of this happening? Strange that we both had it happen this week!

Edited by markz68

I feel so sad - I recently bought my second Magellan :blink:

Last year I drove the 24 Km (15 miles) to the Australian Magellan dealer, NextDestination.

My 5 year old Magellan Sporttrak Map was crashing when I tried to upload regions. At first the Engineering Manager insisted that the problem I described couldn't possibly happen, and he then proceeded to demonstrate that fact. On the third attempt to upload 4 regions, the gps went berserk, crashed, rebooted, and generally put on an impressive display of refusal to respond to commands, exactly as I had described it.

After loading firmware upgrades and various resets, he then demonstrated that the problem was solved - until the third attempt to upload 4 regions, when the gps once again went berserk, crashed, and carried on generally as before.

He was so surprised at his failure to fix the problem that he replaced my 5 year old Sporttrak Map with a brand new one. :rolleyes: AT NO COST :mad:

Now I reckon THAT is customer service. B)

Unfortunately the new GPS was no better than the old, still crashed on the third attempt to upload 4 regions. I'd actually had the problem since I first got DiscoverAus about 3 years earlier, but used the workaround of entering 'Code 92' (clear detail maps), then uploading a minimum size region (I'd named it 0empty to make it easy to find in my regions list), then I was able to upload 4 regions without problem. I just had to do the clear and upload every time.

One difference with the replacement Sporttrak Map was that the 4 Meg limit no longer applied, and I was able to upload up to 5.5 Meg :blink:

Unfortunately a bit of rough handling has sent it even more berserk, it now insists that the sun will set around 2 PM every day, so it had to go. ;) The Explorist 500 with DiscoverAus Topo seems pretty good, but only time will tell B)

Keith

Last week I tried to pull my Garmin c330 auto unit from my windshield to put in my wife’s car that we where getting ready to take on a trip. I pulled and tugged but it was stuck. I had to use a screwdriver to get it loose. The suction cup had bonded to the glass and the suction cup was slightly damaged but still worked. I called Garmin when we got back home to try to buy a new suction cup. There was no wait and had a customer service rep. right away. She spoke normal American English and was a joy to speak with. She efficiently took my information and said that they would be sending me a new one no charge! 2 days later a box arrives from Garmin. I quickly opened it up. To my surprise, I received a complete retail boxed windshield mount with a 12v automotive power cord. I couldn’t believe it! I love you Garmin!!!

Last week I tried to pull my Garmin c330 auto unit from my windshield to put in my wife’s car that we where getting ready to take on a trip. I pulled and tugged but it was stuck. I had to use a screwdriver to get it loose. The suction cup had bonded to the glass and the suction cup was slightly damaged but still worked. I called Garmin when we got back home to try to buy a new suction cup. There was no wait and had a customer service rep. right away. She spoke normal American English and was a joy to speak with. She efficiently took my information and said that they would be sending me a new one no charge! 2 days later a box arrives from Garmin. I quickly opened it up. To my surprise, I received a complete retail boxed windshield mount with a 12v automotive power cord. I couldn’t believe it! I love you Garmin!!!

:( Garmin obviously observes the 150 Rule.

This is a guideline that many successful businesses follow. It is based on the premise that the average person has about 150 friends. When a person buys a product or uses a service and they are dissatisfied and the problem is not resolved there is the potential for 150 negative reports to family and firends plus thousands on a forum like this one. On the other hand if the problem is resolved in a positive manner the same potential also exists.

We all know businesses that provide fine products but fail miserably in the way they treat customer complaints and concerns.

Garmin not only provides a quality product it provides excellent customer relations and service as well. This is the reason the company dominates in market share.

I've also enjoyed Garmin's customer service. I started off with a GPS III, and when the memory battery went bad out of warantee, I was able to send it in and get the part replaced and get the unit back in about a week or so. On my old Vista, the rubber band kept becoming unglued, and I sent the unit back 3 times out of warrantee and it came back to me, repaired, at no cost to me, again in a week or so in each case. When I bought my 60CSx last November, I sent in for the rebate, but when the check arrived at the house, I was serving in Afghanistan, and by the time I even saw the check with the rest of my mail, it was past the 90 days it was valid - a quick call to Garmin, and I had another rebate check on the way to me. Whenever I upgrade, I propably pay more for a Garmin than I do for a Magellan with the same features, but electronics break, and it's nice to know that I have good CS I can go to when I need it.

Not wrong at all A&F5...I did return a socket wrench to the local Sears and what I got back was pulled from a drawer beside the checkout...the tag on the wrench I was given was "refurbished"...how am I wrong with this assessment??

My point was made...you can go on with thinking that Garmin is run by gods!

I accept your apology.

I only have good things to say about garmin tech support. I had mapsource city navigator V4 and a 60CSx and there is a little known bug with searching for address on a 60C(s)X series with city navigator V4. They weren't even really aware of it until i explained it and they tried it on their units and had the same problem. They promptly sent me a free copy of city navigator v8 because my old version wasn't holding up to my expectations. Now this is amazing support! :laughing: I will ALWAYS buy garmin equipment from now on. And to those of you saying you should have had to pay for it, I wasn't even requesting a copy at all and was only asking for a fix.

I just got a 60CSx for Christmas, and have had some issues with the on/off button. I have been debating contacting CS because I have had nothing but terrible experiences with other companies/products. After reading this, though, I will be contacting them tomorrow to get it taken care of. Thanks to the OP!!!

BTW, Rockin Roddy, what color is the sky in your world.........plaid? And I apologize ahead of time for the impending price hikes because of the 'frivalas' claim I am about to make!!! Personally, I would rather shell out a few more bucks on my next unit than deal with some busted up equipment because I am afraid to call and get it fixed.

I just got a 60CSx for Christmas, and have had some issues with the on/off button. I have been debating contacting CS because I have had nothing but terrible experiences with other companies/products. After reading this, though, I will be contacting them tomorrow to get it taken care of. Thanks to the OP!!!

I also have a problem with my power button. They are sending me a new unit (arrives today) and I have an RMA to send the old one back.

I'd like to add my $0.02 about Garmin's customer support!

This past weekend, I was out caching and noticed that the "in" button on my 60csx had gotten torn right off the unit. I tried to run down to the local "in" button store so as to not drive up the prices of the Garmin units but they were fresh out of "in" buttons! (ok, I made up that last sentence).

I got on Garmin's website to contact tech support. I explained what happened and inquired about what steps I needed to take to get it repaired. I still have the email in case anyone questions whether I was complaining to get something for free.

Within 2 hours at approximately 11:30pm EST I received a reply with an RMA # and an address to send it to for repair. He added that since it was a fairly new unit, they would repair the unit at no cost to me. I emailed back a question about turn-around time and received a reply back within about 8 minutes that it would take about 10 days from the time they received my unit.

I have emailed them to make sure they received it and quickly got a reply that they have it in their possession.

And the day after my initial contact, I emailed them inquiring about a DVD for my Garmin Nuvi and received a reply back the same day that they were dropping one in the mail for me.

So far, I have been totally pleased with Garmin's support! It is support like that that will keep me coming back to Garmin. In fact, I am on my second Garmin handheld and my second Garmin car GPS, so I am a 4-time Garmin owner. Plus I have gotten by word of mouth several people to by at least 8 other Garmin units.

ETA: I hadn't read all the replies before I posted. I see that Vanillahip had the same problem as me.

Update to my situation:

1) I received the DVD for my Garmin Nuvi within 3-4 days of emailing them to request it. Very speedy!

2) I just received a new 60csx from Garmin yesterday to replace the one I sent them with the missing "in" button. Very speedy replacement. Now there are two new issues:

1) My City Select North America NT v7 from my StreetPilot i2 was unlocked for the 60csx that I sent to Garmin for repair. Since they sent me a different unit back, the maps are not unlocked for that serial number. I am awaiting an answer from Garmin on what to do about that. I imagine they will provide me with a new unlock code.

2) The Garmin I sent them for repair had an invisibleSHIELD screen protector with lifetime warranty on it and the one they sent me back doesn't. I have contacted ShieldZone.com about that and they are replacing the invisibleSHIELD for only $2.95 (the cost of shipping & handling)

So, assuming that I receive an unlock code from Garmin, everything will be good again!

why hadnt some one told me about shieldzone.com before?!?!?! lol

Thanks for putting that in there markz. I am going to buy some of their protectors very soon.

Forgive me for straying away from the praise of Garmin for a moment to respond about ShieldZone...

I just got off the phone with ShieldZone from ordering my replacement. In order to keep my warranty on the replacement, I just have to fax them the paperwork from Garmin showing that my unit was replaced with another unit.

I have purchased (10) invisibleSHIELDS from ShieldZone in the last 4 months. I have given them as gifts, and I have them on my GPSr's, my Palm, and my wife's iPod. And after dealing with their tech support, I will continue buying from them.

That being said, someone on another forum suggested I look at http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront

They are supposed to be the exact same material but cheaper. They do not offer ready-made shields for as many devices as ShieldZone does though. Perhaps you could cut something to fit. They also don't list a lifetime warranty on their site that I can find, like ShieldZone does.

So, buy the cheaper one if you must, but I am sticking with ShieldZone! A Garmin protected by an invisibleSHIELD from ShieldZone is the only way to go in my opinion!