Why Garmin? I’ll tell you why.

Last week I tried to pull my Garmin c330 auto unit from my windshield to put in my wife’s car that we where getting ready to take on a trip. I pulled and tugged but it was stuck. I had to use a screwdriver to get it loose. The suction cup had bonded to the glass and the suction cup was slightly damaged but still worked. I called Garmin when we got back home to try to buy a new suction cup. There was no wait and had a customer service rep. right away. She spoke normal American English and was a joy to speak with. She efficiently took my information and said that they would be sending me a new one no charge! 2 days later a box arrives from Garmin. I quickly opened it up. To my surprise, I received a complete retail boxed windshield mount with a 12v automotive power cord. I couldn’t believe it! I love you Garmin!!!

I would guess so...you ruined the suction cup, then complained and got a new one? Keep sending in those petty claims and you'll likely see a change which might make you think differently (much like putting in a claim on your insurance??).

If you had read Cacheoholic's post closely you would have seen he did not complain but was willing to buy a new ...Please read the post more closely...Garmin has a very good costumer service ....my 2 cents :huh:

Now that's great service!

As for this-

I would guess so...you ruined the suction cup, then complained and got a new one? Keep sending in those petty claims and you'll likely see a change which might make you think differently (much like putting in a claim on your insurance??).

:huh:

Dude was trying to BUY another one.Didn't sound like he was complaining to me.Whatever man.

I had a similar experience the first time I attached my C320 to the windshield of my wife's car. I had to slip a butter knife under the edge of the cup to break the vacuum. Fortunately there was no harm done and now it works as it is supposed to, but still holds very firmly until I want to remove it.

As for this:

Did you read his post?

If I didn't want to complain, I'd simply go to the store and buy a new suction cup right from the store?? I'm sure that I'd have done this instead of calling and then knowing I'm going to wait for a suction cup that can be replaced at ANY store in a few seconds time for less than a buck (probably cheaper than just the shipping for the item)!

I wouldn't doubt, nor did I say that Garmin has a good CS...keep calling with these types of problems and this could change...my 2 cents! The item in question worked as it should have and was ruined when a screwdriver was taken to it (something that isn't all that good for either the glass or the plastic)...after these types of claims are repeated over and over and start costing the business money, there will likely be changes made that you may not like!

I had a friend who rented an apartment. Things went great until the shower faucet broke because the kids were a bit rough with it. Instead of replacing the faucet knob (a simple fix that isn't very expensive at all), my friend asked the landlord to (it's a landlord problem says my friend). The landlord did fix the problem (felt obligated to keep the customer happy), and then raised the rent a month later...when asked why, the landlord said to cover repair expenses that could be brought up in the future.

Perhaps I failed to describe the suction cup damage in detail. The rubber of the suction cup was permanently chemically or thermally bonded to the glass. Simply put for simple minded people, it had melted to the freekin windshield. The initial damage was not caused by the screwdriver. There was no way to remove it without consequential damage.

yep...read and understood...

OK...you see it as the OP wrote it...now think about it from an observer's point...why call for a suction cup that you can replace for next to nothing unless to "complain"? OK, maybe the OP didn't go in and just tear the CS a new arse, but I'm thinking they were hoping for the turnout that came about. And great, I'm glad you got the replacement! BUT...after countless trivial probs like this, the CS will be forced to make changes to cut down on costs...it's the way things are done...sorry!

This suction cup is not available through any source other than Garmin that I am aware of. It is what appears to be nitrile rubber vulcanized to a ABS plastic mount drilled and mounted with a split plated roll pin. I purchase industrial materials for a living and can’t say I’ve ever seen anything close to this available at the local hardware or any supply catalog stores. It’s been my experience that it’s easier and often cheaper in the long run to go to the OEM (original equipment manufacture) if you want the right specialty part.

Edited by Cacheoholic

yep...read and understood...

OK...you see it as the OP wrote it...now think about it from an observer's point...why call for a suction cup that you can replace for next to nothing unless to "complain"? OK, maybe the OP didn't go in and just tear the CS a new arse, but I'm thinking they were hoping for the turnout that came about. And great, I'm glad you got the replacement! BUT...after countless trivial probs like this, the CS will be forced to make changes to cut down on costs...it's the way things are done...sorry!

I have the same mount and you will not find a suction cup with this configuration in a local store at any price, unless it is attached to a new Garmin mount. When I wanted to buy parts for a different Garmin mount I was told they do not sell parts, so I feel the OP tried to do the right thing Garmin certainly did.

We simple minded people tend to move our suction cupped items off our FREAKIN windshields from time to time so as to prevent the "bonding" you described...usually when we wash our vehicle. You see, heat and lack of movement are enemies to suction cups placed on windshields! The heater blows on it in the winter, the sun shines on it in the summer...

I also remove this mount along with my windshield mount for my 60CSx about every 2 - 3 weeks on average. I had just removed both 1 ½ weeks ago to clean my windshield with Windex. That’s why I didn’t cry warranty and was looking to purchase even though the unit is only 5 months old. I thought that the Windex may have caused the melting. I’ve done some searching and found others that have experienced the same problem. One report even states that Garmin has changed the rubber compound to prevent this problem.

I use velcro, the GPS manufacturer has nothing to do with it and it's MUCH cheaper and more reliable than the window mount (or at least I haven't had to call the velcro manufacturer asking them to replace my mount yet!).

Why is it that the manufacturer made this knowing they'd be the only source for the replacement parts?? Sooner or later, they'll start saying things like "that's not covered by warranty" or maybe "that's damaged by the user, we don't replace those problems". Then you'll just be out for another mount as you can't even replace a simple suction cup! It'll happen, Garmin isn't in the business to give away expensive mounts after all!

That's a great customer service story. It's incredibly rare to get service like that, therefore when it happens I usually become a customer for life.

I had a similar experience with Logitech once. I called to complain about a button sticking on my PS2 wireless controller. They shipped me a new one and didn't even ask me to ship the faulty one back.

RedZeppelin hit it right on the head, he called to COMPLAIN about the broken item and was pleasantly surprised to get a replacement...that's great! Unfortunately, sooner or later, they will stop being so giving and then the problems start.

Regardless of the "reason" you called, you surely must have had the idea of getting a free replacement or discount (or at least the chance to gripe about the quality of the broken item)...you weren't calling simply to shoot the breeze...were you?

I'm not saying anything bad about you Cacheoholic, I'm saying that this will eventually lead to higher prices and a CS that is not as helpful as they are now...it happens. If you truly weren't calling to gripe or looking for a freebie, more power to you...

Why did you call CS if you weren't looking to get the item replaced? Was that where you bought the last one (as you said you were looking to buy a new one)? If I were looking to replace an item, I'd go to the store.

Why are you so dead-set against anyone calling CS to get a replacement? It isn't like either of these people were begging for the part free. They are relaying some very good CS experiences and you're dogging it.

So why are you dogging these people?

Are you jealous that they use products that have great CS, like Garmins...unlike your favorite manufacturer, Magellan? :huh:

Regardless of the "reason" you called, you surely must have had the idea of getting a free replacement or discount (or at least the chance to gripe about the quality of the broken item)...you weren't calling simply to shoot the breeze...were you?

Where did he say in the OP he was wanting to get a free or discounted part?

If anything, I think the OP illustrates that Garmin wants to set itself apart from the competition by offering CS above and beyond any of its competitors.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Good for you, Cache! I'm new here and Garmin's customer service has been applauded in several threads. What Rock doesn't realize(other than he forgot his meds) is the stuff they send you cost them next to nothing, but in return they get a lifetime customer and here you are spreading good words about Garmin in public forum. They came out way ahead also....

I get perks from Dell Small Business quite often and I don't feel guilty one bit because they get my business/money. :huh:

Why..was this a Magellan is better type argument?? I'm talking about ANY business here...I wouldn't care if you were talking about Ford!

I guess you must not be understanding what I am trying to tell you..sorry you feel I was trying to win! By calling, writing or sending in frivilas complaints, you will eventually hurt yourself (and everyone else). The cost of operating a business will go up forcing the company to pass the costs on to the customer...and, the company in question (any company here) will also be forced to re-evaluate their CS practices. Then, when you really need them (when your unit stops working perhaps), you may be a bit miffed to find that the policies have changed and you'll need to jump through hoops to get any help! It happens!

Since the problem appears to be a suction cup, the company now seems to be looking for a replacement for that part...that's not free for them, and I'd bet the reason they used the first part was because they were cheaper (so the cost of the part will likely go up a bit). You were probably well within your right to call and ask for a replacement, just don't be surprised that the price may very well go up in the end!

BTW...YIPPPEEE!!!! I never win at anything!:huh:

I can't believe there is any arguement about this here.

The OP called to see about PAYING to get a replacement. Yes, he probably did tell Garmin about the problem that he had with the mount. I figure that most of us would do the same thing. It's good to provide feedback, maybe even complain to a company when we feel there is a problem with a product. In this case, Garmin could either make improvements on the product or at the very least, place warnings about leaving the product attached to the windshield for long periods of time. Sounds like Garmin realized exactly what he was talking about and did the right thing by replacing. :huh:

A&T...you can draw any conclusion you want as to the reason the OP called customer service...I'm sure it wasn't to praise the broken part though! Also, since I have had absolutely no need to call CS, I'm sure I'm not jealous that the OP felt the need to...sorry!

BTW...Turbo...those remarks are neither called for nor welcome...I take no drugs so keep your BS to yourself! It's comments like this that cause problems...maybe you might rethink personal attacks? Am I now free to return in like action? The item costs them next to nothing?? Why do they charge so much for it in the first place then??

edit for spelling as usual!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

RR...you did nothing but bash this person's good CS experience he had when he asked for nothing free or discounted yet got a free part sent. THAT is great CS, no matter how you slice it.

What's your real motivation in posting in this thread? How hard would it have been to say congrats to the person?

I know I am glad the problem got resolved in a good way for them.

Why..was this a Magellan is better type argument?? I'm talking about ANY business here...I wouldn't care if you were talking about Ford!

I guess you must not be understanding what I am trying to tell you..sorry you feel I was trying to win! By calling, writing or sending in frivilas complaints, you will eventually hurt yourself (and everyone else). The cost of operating a business will go up forcing the company to pass the costs on to the customer...and, the company in question (any company here) will also be forced to re-evaluate their CS practices. Then, when you really need them (when your unit stops working perhaps), you may be a bit miffed to find that the policies have changed and you'll need to jump through hoops to get any help! It happens!

Since the problem appears to be a suction cup, the company now seems to be looking for a replacement for that part...that's not free for them, and I'd bet the reason they used the first part was because they were cheaper (so the cost of the part will likely go up a bit). You were probably well within your right to call and ask for a replacement, just don't be surprised that the price may very well go up in the end!

BTW...YIPPPEEE!!!! I never win at anything!:laughing:

LOL!!!

Yes there is a huge contrast between Magellan and Garmin customer service. And yes my Gamin hand held cost more than my comparable Magellan. Last time I called Magellan (and anytime for that matter) I spent 15 – 25 minutes on hold to get a CSR (customer service rep.) from India that I have to continually ask to repeat themselves so I could try to understand them. Then after 20 – 30 minutes of wasting my time she did not solve my problem and told me that they are only allowed to spend a fixed amount of time per call and I would have to call back. I politely thanked her for nothing and hung up. After owning over 20 Magellan GPS’s I will never buy a Magellan again. I think Magellan adheres to your marketing ideas so that is why I wondered if you worked for Magellan. Garmin has always and will probably continue to be higher priced than Magellan and I am more than happy to pay for that. This type of service has been Gamin’s practice for many years. Better quality and great service are very valuable to me.

Rockin Roddy, you have repeatedly made your point. We get it. We really do.

I assume that you never call CS for any reason for fear of driving the prices higher? Way to live in fear.

CS is… well just that, CUSTOMER SERVICE. Taking care of the customer is their job. Some companies do it better than others. And for this they are rewarded with repeat customers, long term customers, and the best advertising that they can buy…referrals.

So you go ahead and keep using your Velcro, while the rest of us use the great Customer Service Garmin provides.

A&T...you can draw any conclusion you want as to the reason the OP called customer service...I'm sure it wasn't to praise the broken part though! Also, since I have had absolutely no need to call CS, I'm sure I'm not jealous that the OP felt the need to...sorry!

BTW...Turbo...those remarks are neither called for nor welcome...I take no drugs so keep your BS to yourself! It's comments like this that cause problems...maybe you might rethink personal attacks? Am I now free to return in like action? The item costs them next to nothing?? Why do they charge so much for it in the first place then??

edit for spelling as usual!

You're ranting about nothing. You either need medication or more hobbies. Your only concern is how Garmin providing a free replacement of a (defective) part is going to cost you money later. Think about this and realize how foolish this sounds. This topic really isn't about you.

Your beef is with Garmin, not Cacheoholic. You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Why did you call CS if you weren't looking to get the item replaced? Was that where you bought the last one (as you said you were looking to buy a new one)? If I were looking to replace an item, I'd go to the store.

Normally, stores don't sell parts. Also It's hard to find garmin accessories beyond a couple of basics localy. YMMV.

BTW...YIPPPEEE!!!! I never win at anything!:laughing:

That is one of the dumbest things I have heard. You lose money and business by not taking care of customers. Sure it may cost them at most $10 total for the mount and to ship it (and yes, a huge markup occurs when buying a mount retail), but that person will buy again from Garmin. Customer loyalty and word of mouth referrals count more than anything.

That is one of the dumbest things I have heard. You lose money and business by not taking care of customers. Sure it may cost them at most $10 total for the mount and to ship it (and yes, a huge markup occurs when buying a mount retail), but that person will buy again from Garmin. Customer loyalty and word of mouth referrals count more than anything.

It probaby doesn't even cost them that much as replacements like this along with the shipments are deductable from profits before taxes are paid. So they get to make the customer happy at almost no cost to themselves. Why do you think Sears had the replacement policy with Crafstman tools forever?

...Since the problem appears to be a suction cup, the company now seems to be looking for a replacement for that part...that's not free for them, and I'd bet the reason they used the first part was because they were cheaper (so the cost of the part will likely go up a bit). You were probably well within your right to call and ask for a replacement, just don't be surprised that the price may very well go up in the end!...

You are right. The part costs money. If garmon doesn't have a handy bag of loose suction cups, then it may be cheaper to send the entire mount. Thus saving money over trying to find a source of suction cups.

Also customer service is a decision every company makes. To little and you sell less stuff. Businesses are in the business of selling stuff. To much and you may sell lots of stuff but you have to charge more. Some companies have the right balance, and some are selling so much more stuff that they actually enjoy a higher level of customer service. Sooner or later a bean counter will rise to power at Garmin and start cutting service, costs, and make them go get a bag of 'not quite right' suction cups so when there is a problem the customer can provide proof of purchase, proof of warrantee, and then get their free suction cup after they send in their unit for inspection.

Today is not that day.

I suppose you are all right...the CS IS there to simply pamper every little suction cup problem and will always be more than happy to waste money on items that should likely never have been made so cheaply in the first place...CONGRATS Garmin for being so great!! I wonder though, if this is all so great, why are you so happy that you got a response like this from CS?? If they made such great things, why a need for CS at all??

And Come on Ren Knight, you say that you can't find the product ANYWHERE but by calling CS?? PLEASE! I go into my local store and find more Garmin products than Magellan (and have been told this is the case by the GPS sales tech at Cabela's...they may have been lying but...). Nope, this isn't an argument about CS at all, you guys seem to miss the point! My point is that this shouldn't even have had to go to CS at all! The suction cup not being able to be fixed except to replace the whole part, to me, is RIDICULOUS at best!!

And yes...after multitudes of simple suction cup replacements, the CS will likely have to change their policy (as did Craftsman BTW...try returning a socket wrench and see what you get back...it ain't new my friends!)...I could be wrong, but I hope not to find out!

I wonder why the mount can't be fixed with just a simple suction cup replacement...could it be they don't want you to be able to fix it?? I also wonder why they decided to use a cheap suction cup as they did for this product...to make even more money off the product maybe? (after all, if it doesn't cost them but pennies for the cheaper cup, then why not use a cheap inferior product?) I think I saw this mount for something like $50 at Cabela's...it's plastic and suction cups...why so much??

BTW...Turbo...maybe you don't understand what a personal attack is...when you say something disparaging about another here in the forums, you are attacking them personally. This isn't allowed by the PTB...if you can read these comments, you surely can read the rules...right?? I'm being nice, but am growing tired.

Wow...say a little something about CS and the wagons circle...are you guys really as secure about your CS as you claim to be??

I repeat:

Rockin Roddy, you have repeatedly made your point. We get it. We really do.

I assume that you never call CS for any reason for fear of driving the prices higher? Way to live in fear.

CS is… well just that, CUSTOMER SERVICE. Taking care of the customer is their job. Some companies do it better than others. And for this they are rewarded with repeat customers, long term customers, and the best advertising that they can buy…referrals.

So you go ahead and keep using your Velcro, while the rest of us use the great Customer Service Garmin provides.

We get your point… we just disagree. Let it go.

...And Come on Ren Knight, you say that you can't find the product ANYWHERE but by calling CS?? PLEASE! ...

I said parts are seldom sold by retialers. I also said that locally accessories are scarce. I bought a GPS bag once. I can buy a travel kit but I can't select from the several that Garmin makes. I also can't just buy a stupid suction cup.

As it happens I need another sticky base for my mount. They don't sell those locally either. I'd have to call Garmin.

The mount coule probably be fixed with a simple sustion cup replacment. If they stocked the simple suction cup, if you could find it locally and if Garmin had a handy bag of them laying around. There is an excellent chance that Garmin outsources the manufacturing of the mounts. Unless that contract inclucded handy bags of suction cups odds are it's easier to get another mount.

My Ire is reserved for the foks who get a big screen TV from Costco for the superbowl and return it after the game is over. For realtors who go to Wal Mart buy house props to sell homes then return them all before their time is up because it's "Their Rights" along with the folks who return dirty underwear.

The OP's experience seems to fall a bit short on the magnitude of abuse.

After owning over 20 Magellan GPS’s I will never buy a Magellan again.

I can't tell if this is testimony for previous Magellan loyalty or a statement that Magellan GPSrs don't last...

:laughing:

My unofficial count is at 42 total. I started out with Magellan and stuck with them because of expandable memory but Gamin finally got onboard and there’s no turning back right now. I like to buy GPS’s, try ‘em out and then sometimes I sell them. I only have 11 right now.

We get your point… we just disagree. Let it go.

He has a hard time with just stating his point and letting it go...we've seen that in the past...

Back on topic, though...

Good CS is the mark of a good company, pure and simple. A good company will take care of its customers to keep those customers and, hopefully through word of mouth, gain new customers.

Please quit being intentionally obtuse, RR...we have all stated our cases quite well and you keep bringing up the same tired points that have been refuted every way from Sunday.

The only person that seems insecure in this whole discussion is you.

If they made such great things, why a need for CS at all??

Yeah. That's a well thought out question, hmm?

And yes...after multitudes of simple suction cup replacements, the CS will likely have to change their policy (as did Craftsman BTW...try returning a socket wrench and see what you get back...it ain't new my friends!)...I could be wrong, but I hope not to find out!

Ummm, you probably are, since you're wrong about Craftsman...

I think I saw this mount for something like $50 at Cabela's...it's plastic and suction cups...why so much??

Can you say "markup"? I knew you could! Why not shop around? I have one, and I promise you, I didn't pay anywhere near $50 for mine...

BTW...Turbo...maybe you don't understand what a personal attack is...when you say something disparaging about another here in the forums, you are attacking them personally. This isn't allowed by the PTB...if you can read these comments, you surely can read the rules...right?? I'm being nice, but am growing tired.

I'd hate to see you on a bad day, then...

Wow...say a little something about CS and the wagons circle...are you guys really as secure about your CS as you claim to be??

Yep. I don't like to call any company for CS and get Apu Patel in Budaphest trying to convince me I'm wrong. That's why I like Garmin.

Last week I tried to pull my Garmin c330 auto unit from my windshield to put in my wife’s car that we where getting ready to take on a trip. I pulled and tugged but it was stuck. I had to use a screwdriver to get it loose. The suction cup had bonded to the glass and the suction cup was slightly damaged but still worked. I called Garmin when we got back home to try to buy a new suction cup. There was no wait and had a customer service rep. right away. She spoke normal American English and was a joy to speak with. She efficiently took my information and said that they would be sending me a new one no charge! 2 days later a box arrives from Garmin. I quickly opened it up. To my surprise, I received a complete retail boxed windshield mount with a 12v automotive power cord. I couldn’t believe it! I love you Garmin!!!

I can't believe a post with such a happy story created so much angst . . . :rolleyes:

I'm going caching. :rolleyes: Maybe someone else needs to get out and look for Tupperware in the woods. :laughing:

I can't believe a post with such a happy story created so much angst . . . :rolleyes:

I'm going caching. <_< Maybe someone else needs to get out and look for Tupperware in the woods. :laughing:

I agree totally...beleive me, I'd be out caching now if it weren't for my bum knee. :rolleyes:

Not wrong at all A&F5...I did return a socket wrench to the local Sears and what I got back was pulled from a drawer beside the checkout...the tag on the wrench I was given was "refurbished"...how am I wrong with this assessment??

My point was made...you can go on with thinking that Garmin is run by gods!

Not wrong at all A&F5...I did return a socket wrench to the local Sears and what I got back was pulled from a drawer beside the checkout...the tag on the wrench I was given was "refurbished"...how am I wrong with this assessment??

My point was made...you can go on with thinking that Garmin is run by gods!

Actually, you made no valid point at all, but that's okay.

Don't let that green monster get you! :laughing:

...By calling, writing or sending in frivilas complaints, you will eventually hurt yourself (and everyone else). The cost of operating a business will go up forcing the company to pass the costs on to the customer...and, the company in question (any company here) will also be forced to re-evaluate their CS practices. Then, when you really need them (when your unit stops working perhaps), you may be a bit miffed to find that the policies have changed and you'll need to jump through hoops to get any help! It happens!

To the original poster: Nice story of great customer service (regardless of the company).

To RR: How do you think a manufacturer becomes aware of a possible product problem, if not through direct customer feedback? Customer feedback is a primary driver for continuous improvement. Every manufacturer calculates into its cost of doing business a certain amount (generally described in terms of a calculated percentage of sales) the cost of warranty/quality/customer satisfaction. Actual expenses are measured against these expectations, and indicate to the company if there might be a quality issue that needs to be addressed. Certainly, the company can take steps to limit these costs. Any step taken to improve quality without raising cost is a no brainer. Sometimes, however, it makes sense to add cost to your product to increase quality (and customer satisfaction). It's possible for a company to become so focused on the bottom line that cost-cutting efforts in quality and customer satisfaction lead to customer backlash.

In my opinion, the OP acted honestly, ethically, and exactly as I would have in the same situation. I can't fathom why you think otherwise.

I agree with RR, I mean after all, when a product as used as it should (suction cup + windsheild = normal use) , and fails I would rush out in a relentless search of a replacement also. I hope the Garmin rep told you to use velcro on the new one to avoid this problem in the first place! :laughing:

I agree with RR, I mean after all, when a product as used as it should (suction cup + windsheild = normal use) , and fails I would rush out in a relentless search of a replacement also. I hope the Garmin rep told you to use velcro on the new one to avoid this problem in the first place! :laughing:

Um...what?