Where can I get unbiased advice on GPS units?

I am a GPS newbie. I would like to buy a hand held outdoor GPS unit (hiking/geochaching type). I have been trying to get independent advice but its difficult to sift through all the rubbish thats out there on the net (especially without broadband). Does anyone know of a trustworthy, independent and neutral source for reviews and comparisons for GPS units?

While I am here, what are people's opinions of the Magellan 210? (thats the kind of level i was looking at)

Does anybody know if in the U.S. it is possible to buy the Magellan 210 with the European base map on it instead, of the US base map? (for various reasons I am not buying over the net)

Thanks for any input. I do appreciate it.

There is a huge knowledge base right here on this forum. We certainly do have our preferences and biases. But nobody will lie to you. Just think of it as friends you have never met, with hundreds or thousands of hours of hands on experience who are looking out for your best interest. Your friends have no ulterior motives, and their biases are not a bad thing. You will get several different suggestions. You can sift through them and make up your own mind.

My opinion (formed as a Garmin owner reading these forums). If you buy the Magellan, don't expect great things from their Customer Service department. If the unit never breaks down, you will be fine. If you have problems and are one of the lucky few who get good Customer Service, you are fine. If it breaks down and you toss it in the trash and buy a Garmin, you are fine.

While Garmin and Magellan have been the "big two", there are other GPS manufacturing companies making a name for themselves. Their supporters can chime in with specific suggestions.

Good luck in your search.

...While I am here, what are people's opinions of the Magellan 210? (thats the kind of level i was looking at)

Does anybody know if in the U.S. it is possible to buy the Magellan 210 with the European base map on it instead, of the US base map? (for various reasons I am not buying over the net) ...

That's a perfectly fine GPS.

You may have to special order it straight from Magellan to get the basemap you want. I don't konw if they sell diret or not. Normally if a company does it's a full retail.

Another thing I would suggest is going to a store, like R.E.I., if you have one nearby, and holding the GPSr in your hand to see how it feels and how it works.

Some people prefer the buttons on the top, others like the buttons on the bottom. I like the small size of my Garmin Vista C.

I am a GPS newbie. I would like to buy a hand held outdoor GPS unit (hiking/geochaching type). I have been trying to get independent advice but its difficult to sift through all the rubbish thats out there on the net (especially without broadband). Does anyone know of a trustworthy, independent and neutral source for reviews and comparisons for GPS units?

While I am here, what are people's opinions of the Magellan 210? (thats the kind of level i was looking at)

Does anybody know if in the U.S. it is possible to buy the Magellan 210 with the European base map on it instead, of the US base map? (for various reasons I am not buying over the net)

Thanks for any input. I do appreciate it.

I am a noob with GPS units also. I did though manage to do a lot of research before settling on a Garmin 60Cx. One of the basic tenants of getting into an unknown area for a customer is how well the device is supported by both the manufacturer and purchasing commmunity. Garmin has the general concensus of having the best customer service. Garmin also has the largest share of the handgeld GPS device market. This means it is well supported both directly by the company and indirecty by others who have purchased the units in forums such as this.

I am by no means a fanboy. I haven't had time to become one :-)! In fact, if you read my review of the unit I purchased, there are a lot of user interface issues I have. However, these type of issues appear endemic throughout the handheld GPS industry and not specific to Garmin. So basically, all different-brand user interface "problems" being roughly equal, Garmin still has better customer service and with the 60x and 76x series, better hardware too. This is how I decided on my particulars, however your critereia might be different.

You would be better versed by setting forth a set of parameters by which: A. your "expectations" of how you will use it B. How much you can afford. C. Any physical limitations on its usage (eyesight, etc). For example, if you wish to use primarily on the streets and have it route directions for you to destinations, a particular brand/model might not be the best for your expectations. Then others more well-versed on the subject can help you decide better.

Wow, thank you guys very much. The web sites mentioned are very helpful. I particularly like gpsreview.net forums and gpsinformation.net (and of course this forum).

Having read some more on this forum I have kind of gone off the Magellan 210, or more to the point Magellan. People say their customer service just doesn't cut the mustard.

The majority of people, from what I can make out seem to be using Garmins. Someone somewhere likened the two company’s products to PC versus Apple. When put like that I thought there is probably more support (bigger user community) for the Garmin (PC!!) than the Magellan (Apple!). And I was kind of hoping to reap the benefits of a large community of users i.e. open source maps (if they exist) and firmware tweaks etc.

I am a bit frustrated at the minute. When I started off, I was going to buy a very simple etrex, then after some research I decided on the explorist 210, and now after more research I am back to square one! Bit of a bummer!

Any way, thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it. Thank you.