How to make it stop?

triptrick

My PC at home was leveled by a virus of sorts on Saturday :laughing:. Despite having the latest Anti Virus Software, Anti-Spyware Sotware and a Third Party Firewall in place.

So now I have installed Ubuntu Linux 5.04 again. But it is Too old. So I downloaded 7.04 last night 700Mb Worth. :anicute:

Now just need to get it to cut onto disk correctly (as he throws the 4th disk in the bin)

But still have issue that GSAK cannot run on Linux, neither can MapSource etc.

Catch 22

Just duel boot the thing... this way you can make use of Windows purely for Geocaching (how cool will that be) and use Linux for the rest...

Hi Triptrick,

Sorry but this is the ultimate stage of GAD, hope none of our South African cachers will ever get to this, it’s really frightening.

Kay977 was OK until about last year, being active for about 5 years finding 1799 and hiding 52 caches, Cache Fan visited some of his caches while in Berlin.

Anyway, this week Cache Fan received a couple of “deleted log entry” mails of caches visited in 2005 / 2006 in Berlin. Investigated, and can you belief that Kay977 archived ALL of his 52 caches and is busy deleting all log entries (even changing the cache names and his alias sometimes), absolutely final stadium of GAD I would suggest.

This is upsetting the whole Berlin Caching community, I am still in contact with some fellows there, but we will not take this GADerion face down, re-logging every find deleted.

Conclusion, please stop before the final GAD takes over.

Please visit Kai977 Caches to belief.

Hi Triptrick

Sorry but this is the ultimate stage of GAD, hope none of our South African cachers will ever get to this, it’s really frightening.

Kay977 was OK until about last year, being active for about 5 years finding 1799 and hiding 52 caches, Cache Fan visited some of his caches while in Berlin.

Anyway, this week Cache Fan received a couple of “deleted log entry” mails of caches visited in 2005 / 2006 in Berlin. Investigated, and can you belief that Kay977 archived ALL of his 52 caches and is busy deleting all log entries (even changing the cache names and his alias sometimes), absolutely final stadium of GAD I would suggest.

This is upsetting the whole Berlin Caching community, I am still in contact with some fellows there, but we will not take this GADerion face down, re-logging every find deleted.

Conclusion, please stop before the final GAD takes over.

Please visit Kai977 Caches to belief.

Holy smoke, Kai977 seems to have lost it! I see his/her account is locked now though. But alot of damage has already taken place. That's not GAD at all. Seems he got cheesed off with Geocaching or something.

I would suggest maybe someone hacked into his mind and unleashed a Trojan Virus of sorts!

Wonder what the "real" story is?

Oh well, onto Bigger and Better things! :anibad:

My PC at home was leveled by a virus of sorts on Saturday :laughing:. Despite having the latest Anti Virus Software, Anti-Spyware Sotware and a Third Party Firewall in place.

So now I have installed Ubuntu Linux 5.04 again. But it is Too old. So I downloaded 7.04 last night 700Mb Worth. :anicute:

Now just need to get it to cut onto disk correctly (as he throws the 4th disk in the bin)

But still have issue that GSAK cannot run on Linux, neither can MapSource etc.

Catch 22

Never really understood this virus thing... Isn't it all user error in the end?

Anyways, everything important I do on a Unix based machine so I don't really give any thought to that kind of stuff. The old PC is just for mapping, which is mostly off the internet.

Glad to hear of more diversity in the OS environment. :unsure:

P.S. Just got back from claiming my 400th find today! Very classic cache that I did it on also. Thanks bob.

:) Goeie more Triptrick

Your recovery is remarkable, you really got this GAD under control now, or could it be that you decided not to log "all of your finds."

I am not doing to bad either, were able to do a DNF yesterday after searching almost a half hour for a 1,5 litre container. That is proof to me that my immune system is starting to get the upper hand on this virus.

Look at Vespax finds, 400 and going strong; congratulations Vespax!

A good day to all.

LeonW :(

:D Goeie more Triptrick

Your recovery is remarkable, you really got this GAD under control now, or could it be that you decided not to log "all of your finds."

I am not doing to bad either, were able to do a DNF yesterday after searching almost a half hour for a 1,5 litre container. That is proof to me that my immune system is starting to get the upper hand on this virus.

A good day to all.

LeonW :blink:

Hey LeonW,

Not really under control, I am chomping at the bit to get out there. But I have had lots on my plate these last weeks with deciding on my career, what I want to do for the rest of my life etc etc etc, Blah, blah.

Actually resigned today after 8 years with company... was one of the toughest things I have done in a long time. Not even TeamTGF's take a hike was that tough. :P

Anyway, Onto New and Exiting things shortly. Cant wait.

I see you reached your Number 25 at the end of May. Well Done!

Keep on Trucking!

:D Goeie more Triptrick

A good day to all.

LeonW :blink:

Hey LeonW,

Not really under control, I am chomping at the bit to get out there. But I have had lots on my plate these last weeks with deciding on my career, what I want to do for the rest of my life etc etc etc, Blah, blah.

Actually resigned today after 8 years with company... was one of the toughest things I have done in a long time. Not even TeamTGF's take a hike was that tough. :P

Anyway, Onto New and Exiting things shortly. Cant wait.

I see you reached your Number 25 at the end of May. Well Done!

Keep on Trucking!

Hi Triptick,

hope you are considering a career in something related to GPSr's, at least with lots of outdoor activities and traveling.

Geocoins are very very addictive, be careful not to develop CoinAD on top of GAD, this might become mortal.

Cache Fan

Hi Triptick,

hope you are considering a career in something related to GPSr's, at least with lots of outdoor activities and traveling.

Geocoins are very very addictive, be careful not to develop CoinAD on top of GAD, this might become mortal.

Cache Fan

Hi Cache Fan

I was looking for the job that tested all the new GPSr's, Off Road Vehicles and Camping equipment and clothing etc all while doing Geocaching. But I am afraid I could not find such a job. :ph34r: So I will have to do these things for free while trying to earn money another way. B)

LeonW, Thanks for the kind wishes. It is appreciated.

Hi Triptick,

Cache Fan

Hi Cache Fan

I was looking for the job that tested all the new GPSr's, Off Road Vehicles and Camping equipment and clothing etc all while doing Geocaching. But I am afraid I could not find such a job. :blink: So I will have to do these things for free while trying to earn money another way. :lol:

LeonW, Thanks for the kind wishes. It is appreciated.

Hi Triptick,

also all the best wishes from the Cache Fan Team. To my experience, if such decision is taken at "short" notice, or with lots of thinking, than mostly it is quite a radical change, therefore my comment.

Good Luck

Volker

:rolleyes: Pssst Triptrick

How are you? The dreaded GAD has struck me down again. Saturday the family went on a drive, saw a beautiful place all new to us, just had to go back on Sunday to place a cache or two. Because of guideline ruling I had to retrieve the one cache today, but could replace it with another that passed the bench. On my way back home the clutch cable broke, drove all the way "feeling for the gearshift".

I just have to admit that I got it bad, this GAD.

All the best

LeonW :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Pssst Triptrick

How are you? The dreaded GAD has struck me down again. Saturday the family went on a drive, saw a beautiful place all new to us, just had to go back on Sunday to place a cache or two. Because of guideline ruling I had to retrieve the one cache today, but could replace it with another that passed the bench. On my way back home the clutch cable broke, drove all the way "feeling for the gearshift".

I just have to admit that I got it bad, this GAD.

All the best

LeonW :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, Yes, I Notice you have an Issue, 2 Hides in so many days... Nice One.

I would suggest just to go with the Flow you know. (Poetic isnt it?) Don't sweat the small stuff. Go Caching!

I too, hid 2 this past weekend and the one violated the rules by being too close to TeamTGF's Take a Hike (91m), Which I completed this weekend I will let you know. It was awsome, again, for the third time.

So I will need to go a Fourth time (sigh) to go move it further away and not in the Ravine where I crunched my Van. Pity Really as there is a story to be told in that Ravine. Erik suggested I make it a Virtual of sorts and from the Ravine give some clues in a particular direction to locate the final position.

Will give it a spin this weekend If I find the time to return there. I have plenty to do and hand over to collegues in the next few weeks before I leave my current employer. (read as GAD Control)

Anyhooo, Have you hidden the Gold Receipt Yet? My kiddies loved finding it on the Event and took the Measuring Tape and the Camo Geocaching Bracelet (that dad is wearing). Thanks! Having fun at work explaining what it is all about.

Enough blah blah for now...

Look forward to finding your Caches Soon.

Hi Triptrick

I better remember to make a note on GSAK not to attempt "Take a Hike" and your new cache - see, I don't have a 4x4 yet.

Glad you enjoy the geobracelet. Let me know what you think of the first two caches, I can only improve!

There is also a story about the one that did not make it, it would have been a really classy cache container, kid friendly and lots of swag in a safehouse. But it is not allowed anymore, so I had to resort to sneaky, very sneaky stuff...

Still looking for a nice hide for "Gold Receipt". :)

Will tell you about it later, be safe tomorrow... :)

LeonW :)

Edited by LeonW

I've been lurking and watching this thread for a while, and wondering about GAD - got it, or not?

Decided it must be a quite a serious "got it".

Today we went cache hunting and drove 600 kms through Swaziland and found 4 caches. Was it worth it - absolutely YES - they were stunning!! When you have no caches within your 80 kms circle, only 9 within 160 kms, and 7 of them are in a neighbouring country, then that's a bargain! Is it a problem - naught!! We're going there again next weekend because there are 2 that were on our radar today that we didn't get to, because we need the old bush-basher to get there and we were in "soft" wheels today.

The thread title says "How to make it stop?". Must agree with Cache-fan - Why??

Guess all addicts say something like this, and don't realise they need help until it's too late?

Who cares - enjoy the ride!!!

Happy caching all - take it all, but take it easy. :laughing:

I've also been watching this thread for a while, and wondering if I have GAD or not?

The answer must be an overwhelming YES!

The thread title says "How to make it stop?” Must agree with Cache-fan - Why??

My last three FTF started like this--------

I opened my email and found a notice from geocaching.com of three published caches in Heidelberg. With trembling hands and sweaty palms I checked geocaching.com it the caches was found yet. To my relief nobody had found them yet. I promptly told my wife I will go caching the next morning. She instantly got this -- "are you insane" look on her face!

My alarm clock was set for 4 AM. The next morning I raced to the locations of the caches. (Why I raced I don’t know, it must have been a bad attack of GAD) Got to Heidelberg and to my relief nobody beat me to them! It was still dark! It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders!

Went to Houston a few weeks ago and found 96 caches in three days! Drove 500 miles in a hired car! My boss asked me what a hell I was doing driving around so much. Told him about geocaching and again the look on his face said it all!

What do you think, do I have GAD? :laughing::laughing:

Hi Geocacher

Nay, you don't have GAD, your immune system has gotten the upperhand over it. If you were to have gone on a power cache trip for three days you could easily have found 600 caches - the way the Americans do.

Now Fish Eagle is a model of inspiration to me, one day when I am older I wish to be like him. :laughing:

The Cure?

Wonder who places the first GAD only cache, only logs from members with more than 500th finds allowed?

Cache-Fan

Um, My Translator must have packed up... :laughing:

Fish Eagle

Yes you seem sick with GAD. I mean 600km for 4 caches?? But then to return for another 2 caches the following weekend???? I am afraid you have past the point of no return. :lol: Ja well no fine, Just go with it. I seriously need to go down to your neck of the woods to find some. Should be fun!

Geocacher_coza,

You too, are sick. I saw your finds come through on GeocachingRanking.com. I am not sure how people find so many in such a short period of time. Are they placed all in a line or something 161m apart? so as far as one can walk in a day is how many caches you can pick up?

And to wake up at 4AM for a FTF Run is Insane! Your wife is correct. :laughing:

Hey At Least have fun with it... Keeps us out of trouble. :laughing:

I am not sure how people find so many in such a short period of time. Are they placed all in a line or something 161m apart?

Triptrick, you need to see it to believe it. In Houston the caches are really easy man. Most are micros and small caches and they are everywhere! Some you can literally drive right up to, step out of your car or just open the door, lean out and get the cache! Lots of caches are not even hidden, just put in the "mik" of a pavement tree! You find a lot of parking lot caches.

In Houston most lamp poles have a small box around the base that is loose and hollow.Skirt Lifters It is a famous place to hide a micro. So the first place to look for when it is a parking lot cache is the lamp post!

The ones in the "wild" are the same, mostly an ammo box just put down under a tree.

Most caches you do not have to look for-- it's just there!

Edited by geocacher_coza

Thanks for that info from a South African's perspective. We are still quite lucky that it is not that common and sometimes you have to drive 600km for four (4) caches...

Cache that I found Saturday - "Nowhere" had the most beautiful view of the moon rising as dusk settled. Much better than a LPC. :unsure:

Er I seem to suffer from this too. As there are very little caches in my area I am now resorting to dropping them as I go. I find myself going down unknown dirt roads and plotting routes on google earth with the hope that a wonderful spot will show up fit for a cache. The family is usually dragged along on weekends to go exploring, usually to moans and groans half way out on the trip. Eish.....

Leonw if you are wanting to drop caches, I have a lot of open space just for you here in N-KZN area.....

Hi Triptrick

Please help, I got it bad. Can't stop hiding caches. Need a doctor urgently. Must go and hide a cache, hide ...

:P

Dear LeonW, (my Dear Sick Friend)

I have noticed of late your splurge of caches hitting the Area north east (ish) of me. You had better slow down hiding caches otherwise you could suffer from Cache Hiding Burnout!

Changing the subject a little, If it was not for your "Gold Receipt" I would have had no finds this month yet... Been a little pre occupied, but I will try catch up by a few this weekend. Also have some nice idea's for a few hides again aswell, so, hopefully I will hide some soon.

I look forward to finding some of your caches later in the month or early August.

Er I seem to suffer from this too. As there are very little caches in my area I am now resorting to dropping them as I go. I find myself going down unknown dirt roads and plotting routes on google earth with the hope that a wonderful spot will show up fit for a cache. The family is usually dragged along on weekends to go exploring, usually to moans and groans half way out on the trip. Eish.....

Leonw if you are wanting to drop caches, I have a lot of open space just for you here in N-KZN area.....

Hey Wazat,

My Wife and daughter usually grumble a little too when I "Force" them to cache with me... But my son is bok for sport...

I am looking into a trip in December from Gauteng, through Mpumalanga then to N KZN and onto Ballito Area then Home.... Maybe spend 10 or 15 days cruising around.... Finding Caches of course....

Hi Triptrick

That's the spirit, go and find them. I better go and hide some more just for you, hide some more ....

You better keep a whole Saturday open for finding caches in the Groenkloof Nature Reserve, lovely opportunity for 4x4 trails, (not that I can participate - you know) mountain biking and hiking (my only option). The last time this area has been such a hot spot was when the Drive-In was utilized for social interaction. Suddenly there are already 6 caches, and counting... :P

(Edit - for grammer, always making mistakes.)

Edited by LeonW

Well if all goes well I am going to drop of two more for sure today. Two micro's on some old machines. So the trip from MP to KZN will have more places to stop over,, Don't know if they will be on your route triptrick, but if they are, enjoy.....

Hey what's this about hiding caches....? You guys have hidden a few between you. I just got two more down today.... that's 15 so far since March. I am dropping them almost as fast as I find them now. Hey I nearly dropped another one but for lack of a good hiding place and lack of time I opted out of that one. Problem is I found an amazing route home from my Luneburg cache and I vowed that I will be going back there soon to drop plenty of caches. I completely forgot that I had the cache I wanted to drop earlier still in the back seat. So now I am going to have to get some more goodies for at least a few drops.... And you guys thought you had it bad. Anyway I must go, gotta get the ad into job mail - Assistant cache droppers needed..... LOL

Hey what's this about hiding caches....? You guys have hidden a few between you. I just got two more down today.... that's 15 so far since March. I am dropping them almost as fast as I find them now. Hey I nearly dropped another one but for lack of a good hiding place and lack of time I opted out of that one. Problem is I found an amazing route home from my Luneburg cache and I vowed that I will be going back there soon to drop plenty of caches. I completely forgot that I had the cache I wanted to drop earlier still in the back seat. So now I am going to have to get some more goodies for at least a few drops.... And you guys thought you had it bad. Anyway I must go, gotta get the ad into job mail - Assistant cache droppers needed..... LOL

Just make sure you can maintain all of these "drops". Otherwise we may end up with the situation of tones of archived caches. (not cool! :laughing:)

We prefer planned caches that take time rather than dropped cache on the fly. ;P

Most drops I have done so far have been return trips to places I have traveled before. Some have been spur of the moment but I think the view was worth it. So far I have only three that I have yet to maintain. But they are not far off and yet to be found. Roadside caches are fortunately easy to maintain. I even check up on other peoples caches in my area if I get the chance. But yeah I hear your point. I am always trying to find new places to get caches down. I see places like JHB that have like 500 caches and then my home town with only 3. I hope to at least get some out for the future of caching in our area.

:tired: Hi Triptrick, now those "Nano's are Evil". I am so.o.o.o glad that I could be the one to introduce them to you. I must have an evil streak in me somewhere because the logs of these caches are so appreciated by me. Hope you had a great day caching. :D

Hi triptrick.

What has happened - it is one month since I heard from you. Did they move you to another Institute? I am still incarcerated in "Geocache Meadows", the food is O.K. but the wardens has no sense of direction. Can't wait to be re-united at the Sp"Ring" bash, miss you guys.

Got to go - they are doing their rounds and it is best to pretend that the treatment is working... :)

Hi triptrick.

What has happened - it is one month since I heard from you. Did they move you to another Institute? I am still incarcerated in "Geocache Meadows", the food is O.K. but the wardens has no sense of direction. Can't wait to be re-united at the Sp"Ring" bash, miss you guys.

Got to go - they are doing their rounds and it is best to pretend that the treatment is working... :)

Shhh... This new institution has me busy man. Had much more time to cache oin the previous one. :o .

It has been a while since I was let out, you are right. Planning an AWOL tomorrow though.