How to make it stop?

triptrick

The BackGround...

It all started when I joined a local forum about mapping Africa a few months ago. I found alot of information there and some nice people who were willing to part with thier opinions and advice on purchasing a GPS unit and software for the device. My initial intention was to get out, explore, go off the beaten track with my family and friends and enjoy this great country of ours, instead of being a couch potatoe. Yes, one does not need a GPS for this but it certainly helps getting to all the good spots. That was my arguement to my lovely wife and I was sticking to it to spend the required R5500 to R7000 on a unit and some additional Software. I was happy. Then a kind soul on the other forum mentioned GeoCaching.com as an additional activity I could do with the GPS unit. I looked at it and found it was good. I then joined Geocaching.com and these Forums. I found my first cache a few days later. What an experience! I loved it. I then took my family on some hunts... They loved it.

The Problem...

I find myself in serious conversations with people at work and socially and all I can think of is finds, hides, TB's and coins. When I get home in the evenings (sometimes during work hours aswell), it's onto the web to see who has placed a cache, found a cache, TB or Coin. When I fall asleep all that goes through in my head is finds, hides, TB's and coins. My dreams and sometimes nightmares are filled with finds, hides, TB's and coins. My sleep is then disturbed by finds, hides, TB's and coins. When I wake, it's finds, hides, TB's and coins. I find myself grabbing a quick cache on the way to work, from work (sometimes during work), to and from clients... To and from the Weekend Braai with Friends and family...

The Solution...

finds, hides, TB's and coins....

When will it stop? I cant function normally anymore. How can I minimise these thoughts to maybe just 10 minutes a day? Maybe just weekends? What happens if there are no caches on route anymore for me to find? Will I drive many Km's out of the way to find them thus making me late for Meetings and arrangements?

Your thoughts and assistance with this would be greatly appriciated....

Signed

Cache Addict

:unsure::huh:;):rolleyes:

(...finds, hides, TB's and coins...)

Dear Triptrick

Diagnosis

You are addicted to Geocaching.

Prognoses

There is no cure but to sustain your addiction, that means when you run out of caches, you would need to start placing caches. Which is good for fellow geocachers. Just think of all the possibilities of placing caches along the tracks ( Tracks 4 Africa?).

Cost

You are over the first hurdle - it is not going to cost you much more in the feature; that is what I tell my

better half.

Sleep deprivation

Only help I can offer for this ailment is to stop solving the diffucult puzzles; note to self - don't stay up till

2:30 am trying to solve riddles, algebra, cryptic clues.

Social behaviour

Don't tell your co-workers, boss, friends, family, or priest and they would not recommend psychological treatment - they might just think you are slightly mysterious, which is good! The support group is right here on the forums. Attending events is also good for the whole family.

As you are now fully aware of the addiction and its prognoses, make haste and hide a few caches soon.

Greetings

LeonW :huh:

Triptrick, we feel for you and fear you are suffering from Geocaching Addiction Disorder (GAD). This is a chronic disorder precipitated by a combination of genetic, biological/pharmacological and social factors. Addiction is characterized by repeated caching behaviours despite clear evidence of morbidity secondary to such activities.

There is a lack of consensus as to what may properly be termed 'addiction' - some within the medical community maintain a rigid definition of addiction and contend that the term is only applicable to a pattern of escalating caching as a result of a need for an ever greater number of finds. However, addiction is often applied to complusive caching behaviour. This behavioural addicition, however, almost never exists without another fixation to TBs, geocoins, FTF's and suchlike. In all cases the chronic pattern of caching behaviour continues and is perceived to be hard or impossible to quit at any time. It is also quite common for the addict to express the desire to stop the behaviour and find himself unable to cease.

Symptoms of this addiction are easy to spot:

Neglect of usual activities

Over-participation in geocaching forums

Spends several days at a time caching and hours logging them

No social life

Hangs out with other addicts at Event Caches

Partners of cacher addicts frequently echo the words of partners of drug addicts: "I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what it was".

And yes, Triptrick, as the addiction worsens, you will travel hundreds of kilometers out of the way to grab a cache - sometimes even further! But never fair, you are not an isolated case - there are lots of us out there! :huh:

Edited by Tricky Vicky & Mickey

;):rolleyes:

Hi Triptrick,

Why do you want it make to stop? Just imagine how much money you save as you have no time anymore to go to shopping malls on weekends (unless eyeing out the latest GPSr available), makes sense or?

Just continiue as is, you are on the perfect right way.

Cache Fan

:huh::unsure:

I find the best way to get rid of the guilt about thinking about geocaching while with your friends, is to either have geocachers as your friends, or to turn your friends into geocachers :D

I did something quite out of character last weekend. I went to Hermanus for my best friends wedding, and instead of hiking up numerous mountains to get some challenging caches, I actually went to the wedding and lunch the next day!!

I will be offering private lessons to anyone who feels that they could do with this kind of self-discipline

:D

I did however, hide a cache in honour of the wedding :D

Thanks All for the invaluable advise and help... saved me thousands at the shrink. :D

I owe you all some beers / wine

I only managed one find this weekend... This was on the way to Naboomspruit to meet some friends for an evening around a camp fire. 250km is far to drive just for a night around a camp fire, would have been better to find more caches along the route me thinks.

Finding only one was partly due to guilt and partly due to there being none out there in the immediate area.... I feel deprived!

Note to self : Place 5 or 6 in this general area. Kranskop surley needs one!

We Took the N1 there but the R101 back for a more scenic trip.

Why am I justifying only finding one to you? (is this another symptom of GAD?)

TripTrick out

Sorry Triptick, I have to break more bad news to you. My six year old also got addicted (GAD) as her mom. Her comment the other day was, when I we drive somewhere and I see a rock, I just want to hide a cache there!

We found family therapy helpfull, go out as often as you can, and it helps for sustaining other life support systems such us breathing fresh air and working those leg muscles!

We also found that group therapy such as geocaching event and get together helps, as it make you feel not so lonely!

Edited by Guineafowl

My six year old also got addicted (GAD) as her mom. Her comment the other day was, when I we drive somewhere and I see a rock, I just want to hide a cache there!

Phew, I am not the only one then. On my travels to and from work and clients etc, I am always saying, Oh theres a nice spot to place a cache! I wonder if the Cachers would like that area? What would I call it? etc etc etc....

I am driving myself nuts.

Poor poor Triptrick

How do you feel today? (very smoothing tone of voice) B) I am joking - don't flame me!

So you say there are no caches to be found on the way to Naboomspruit; well, after the two day event on 26 and 27 May at Warmbaths I am sure you would find lots more caches. Have a look at the organizers treat for you.

Link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC123XZ

Had a cool idea just now, I will place a cache dedicated to you and a speedy recovery; if you do find the correct cache, I will give you a special little treat to lift your spirit!

Hope to have wetted your interest in attending the event. We are looking forward to this event.

LeonW :)

Edited by LeonW

Had a cool idea just now, I will place a cache dedicated to you and a speedy recovery; if you do find the correct cache, I will give you a special little treat to lift your spirit!

Hope to have wetted your interest in attending the event. We are looking forward to this event.

LeonW :D

I was feeling better thank-you before reading your message...Now I am even more curious and interested! You would do that for a fellow CacheAddict? :D

We will be attending the Bigger and Better 2007 Event. I hope to make both days.

I will bring a few TB's and Coins I found over the last 2 weeks. I just need to get hold of the owners so I can hold onto them until the event instead of letting them go now... Also want to place 2 Caches in the area for day 2.

Not sure if your are helping me here at the moment.... Ok, so whats the treat! You cannot put that out there and not tell me what it is... it is more than a Month to go....

oh great, another thing to keep me from functioning normally....Gonna look like my avatar pic on the forum before to long.... :D

Did curiosity really kill the cat?

Hi Triptrick

I am pleased that you feel so much better. Be assured that my intentions are noble, I just want to help a fellow member with GAD.

Unfortunately you would have to wait for your little, but desirable, geocache related prize. Don't worry, the clues to the specific cache would be clear, if you find it, and present the code from the cache after the hunt to CrystalFairy, you will be rewarded. I will leave the "ietsie" in his capable hands for safekeeping. It would thus give you the opportunity to search for the cache even on another date, if necessary. This way I can make sure that this "ietsie" is not hijacked by a rat... or pirate.

As you are upping the stakes with two caches by you, does it imply a challenge to all to try and place more than one new cache? This could send a few more Geocachers around the bend to becoming full blown GAD's. I were actually thinking along the same lines. Ooh no!, I must have contracted it. :D

Regards

LeonW

Edited by LeonW

Hi Triptrick

As you are upping the stakes with two caches by you, does it imply a challenge to all to try and place more than one new cache? This could send a few more Geocachers around the bend to becoming full blown GAD's. I were actually thinking along the same lines. Ooh no!, I must have contracted it. :D

Regards

LeonW

Well I have two small / medium caches all prepared with log books and goodies to be placed. I hope I find a good spot for them to live.

I fear I am am back sliding here... I left work at 13H00 today to scope out some finds. Do I even have a job anymore, I ask myself. As Lady Luck would have it, I found one today (Bang Bang). Made me feel much better.

I scoped out another two (IT Happens here and Sloan Ranger) but there were muggles close by looking at me as If I were about to place a bomb or something, so had to leave it for this time.

Is it an offence to use pepper spray or tear gas to temporarily blind a muggle? :D

Edited by triptrick

Hi Triptrick,

As this is becoming rather a dialogue, maybe 2cents worth’s from a semi experienced cacher.

Never slide out from office at 13:00 hours just for another find. A real cacher (GAD assumed) will wait until 14:00 hours (our reviewers in the States don’t get up before), checks the new listings close by and rushes out for the FTF, back in the office by 16:00 latest.

Pleeeese, leave the ordinary caches for the weekend.

Please consider

Cache Fan

Hi Cache-fan

You are too modest, with 56 hides, 600+ finds, how can you consider yourself semi - experienced? You are one of the reasons that I have bloodshot eyes from a lack of sleep trying to solve your puzzles and those devious ones of Globalrat, Team Farmers etc.

Thanks for the advice, what you have already forgotten I still need to learn. Thank you for your caches, as there are quite a few in my area which I still need to crack.

Regards

LeonW

Never slide out from office at 13:00 hours just for another find. A real cacher (GAD assumed) will wait until 14:00 hours (our reviewers in the States don’t get up before), checks the new listings close by and rushes out for the FTF, back in the office by 16:00 latest.

Pleeeese, leave the ordinary caches for the weekend.

Please consider

Cache Fan

Hi Cache Fan, :) I feel that I have been scolded. :mad:

...but I hear you, it is quite irresponsible to slip out of work for caching. Cachers should be responsible in caching and how they manage thier lives around it.

This topic was more of a tongue in cheek :( thing but to be truthfull I have slipped out on the occasion but I feel horrible about it and it is not responsible.

Thanks for the wake up...

:(:mad:

Responsibility First and Foremost before all Else....

Oh dear Triptrick, you really are doing just fine, and seem to be holding your own. You even have a conscience, so haven't been as badly affected as some others we know. :(

You really know you are more than a little ill when you leap out of bed at 04h30 and head for Onrusriver to get a quick FTF before heading for Cape Town International Airport to collect friends returning from an overseas trip - this is only a 70 kilometer detour :) . The cache involved a walk along the beach for some 600 meters with only the moon to light your way, but we did it and arrived at the Airport in time too! :mad:

PS - We didn't exceed the speed limit either - we hope! (We do live some 150 kilometers from Cape Town).

PPS - By the way, we have been known to do similar things previously, so it would appear you can have acute outbursts while being affected with chronic GAD's.

Hi, my name is Goofster and I'm a GAD sufferer.

ALL: Hello, Goofster!

As a person living with GAD, I often find myself looking at the tops of the tallest mountain peaks and wondering: "Is there a cache up there, and if not, how can I get up there to place a cache?"

I've managed to suppress these urges to a large extent, but I have been known to scale minor peaks in order to find/place a cache. It's a terrible affliction, and it has been known to cause my absence from the office at lunch breaks and for extended periods.

I'm lucky in that I have a support group who are helping me overcome my addiction. Why, they even took me away with them on the Easter weekend. I only logged 16 caches that weekend (or was it 17?), and that was a huge improvement. Thanks guys!

:(

Edited by Goofster

:lol: Psssttt, Triptrick :lol:

Are you ready, got your listings, GPS, extra batteries, cooldrinks, full tank of petrol? O.K.! So where are we off to during this weekend? There are so many nice caches in the Roodepoort area, and Magaliesburg ...

I will be working on the caches, got an idea or two - but it needs a lot of thought (being my first) to get it just right.

Now let me wish you all the best of cache hunting over the weekend, I will quietly slip away, don't tell anybody of our ...... shhhh. :)

:( Psssttt, Triptrick :lol:

Are you ready, got your listings, GPS, extra batteries, cooldrinks, full tank of petrol? O.K.! So where are we off to during this weekend? There are so many nice caches in the Roodepoort area, and Magaliesburg ...

I will be working on the caches, got an idea or two - but it needs a lot of thought (being my first) to get it just right.

Now let me wish you all the best of cache hunting over the weekend, I will quietly slip away, don't tell anybody of our ...... shhhh. :)

:lol: you keen?

Just filled the Bakkie, (Eish it was R 450 to fill....), got batteries, need some caches!

I can get out up to just before the Rugby and getting brother in law over for a braai... :) I would rather Cache (You know GAD and all that)

:D Eishh, met vleis ja, met braaivleis... :D

Eish! Did I have an Adventure Today!! Well for me anyway...

Would never have happened if it was not for Geocaching!

Didn't make it back on time for the Rugby though because I got stuck near a cache on a 4X4 Trail in the West Rand (Krugersdorp) called "Take a Hike" in a deep (very) deep ravine next to the 4X4 Area with no 4X4 but a Mazda with Diff Lock... Note to self... dont do that again. :(

Could not go forward, could not go back the way I came.... Eventually the wheels were spinning and there was mud, rocks and sand eveywhere. Was panicking a bit as my 8 year old son was beside himself... He thought we were gonna die there and no one will ever find us as it it was quite remote where we were.

Did some minor damage to my vehicle aswell...

Eventually decided to admit defeat and call my Brother who has a Jeep Cherokee CRD 4X4. Had to hike out about 3Km up and down hills to meet him at the entrance to this particular area. Left a note in the window of the bakkie saying what happened and where we were and my cell number.

On the way back with the cavalry (my brother), I got a call from a chap at my bakkie saying he could help. Anyway, to cut a story short(er) A BiGG Landy V8 pulled me out forwards up a 12m incline of mud and stones... Had to cut the snap strap off as they tied it too tight so I owe the people that pulled me out a new one and a good few beers! B)

Needless to say I could not make it to the cache as my son would have none of it. So will have to leave it for another day.... Like Tomorrow! :)

This is a great Park and IMHO, dont go in with a mere diff lock vehicle, you need Low Range Fully Lockable hubs for some parts, like this ravine. Also Clearance is important as it is very rocky!

Maybe thats why the cache is called take a hike, theres nothing quite like a humans 2X2 capabilities for steep rocky areas.... :D

Anyway, All said and done, it was a great day all things being equall.

It's not quite as bad as it seems but there is hope,barely :(

It apparently has been in existence for a considerable time, but only recently has anyone identified this disease, and begun to study it. It is called the Obsessive Compulsive Cache Craving Syndrome or

OCCCS was originally thought to be caused by the satellite radio waves affecting the brain waves in a small percentage of geocachers, but after a team of researchers decided to become geocachers, to study this disease, it wasn’t long before they realized that they were dealing with a very serious and highly infectious viral disease. A few of them even became infected with it, and had to be quarantined, until they were cured.

After a couple of years of research it was found that that satellite radio waves aren’t the cause at all, and that it is a virus passed from one geocacher to another. It is thought however, that the GPSR's may be the carriers of the virus. It has been further found that there are four stages of this disease and that there is hope if you have stages one through 3. If you progress to stage four though there is only one known cure, and it isn’t pleasant.

Research has shown that in most cases those affected don’t usually progress past the second stage.

It also seems that those exposed to the disease at a very early age become immune to it. Some people afflicted with OCCCS at Stage II and Stage III have close family members (children, husbands, wives) who have absolutely no symptoms at all, but in other cases both spouses can be affected equally.

What can you do to prevent this disease from infecting you? Until a cure is found, prevention is the measure. Avoid anyone you see with a GPSR in their possession, since it is thought that their gpsr's may be carriers of the disease. If you hear of any geocaching events in your area, avoid them like you would the black plague.

If you unfortunately come into contact with a OCCCS-afflicted person, make up an excuse to leave them, and if they start talking about geocaching, run away as quickly as you can. As soon as you get home call the GAA ( Geocachers Anonymous Association) and have one of our on staff experts make an appointment to get to you as quickly as possible.

The following are the four stages, and the symptoms to watch for at each stage. If you or any of your loved ones has any of these symptoms pleas contact our hot line at once. Our trained professionals are on call 24/7.

(Stage I) You have early symptoms off OCCCS if:

1. You think it’s fun to spend a day crashing through underbrush, mud and muck to find a cache.

2. You go out on a Saturday for a day of geocaching and you feel you should have found more than 5 or 6 caches.

3. You tell your wife that poison ivy isn’t really a big deal, and its safe to go the bathroom over by the shinny leaves.

4. You can’t remember having a day with only one find.

5. You don’t really mind that it started raining cause you only have 3 more caches you want to get.

At this point the disease can be stopped. Simply don’t go caching or near any geocaching website for the next month. After waiting a month try it again and see if you can be a bit more reserved about it.

(Stage 2) Once these symptoms start showing up, if your not careful you could be in trouble.

1. You start thinking that it might be fun running for a First to find.

2. You hardly even notice the poison ivy itch any more.

3. You get up early so that you can grab a couple caches on your way to work, or you get home late because you “had to stop and pick something up”.

4. You think that driving 50 miles for a couple caches isn’t too far.

5. When you plan your next family vacation you don’t go to Disney world because there are only a couple of virtuals there.

6 You are spending more money on batteries and bug spray every week, than you would on a nice meal out with your wife.

7 You like the smell of bug spray on you wife more than her favorite perfume.

8 They know you on a first name basis at the dollar store.

You’re starting to get serious symptoms now, but there is still hope. You will have to stop caching for at least two months and stay away from the geocaching websites as well. Maybe after you have had a chance to get it out of your system, you can try doing one or two caches a week. If you can stay at one or two for a month or more, recovery is working for you.

(Stage 3) Luckily most people don’t go any further than stage two, but if you are having any of these symptoms you are starting to be seriously affected, and may need professional help.

1. After having a cast put on your broken leg (that you received falling down a hill racing for a FTF.) you seek out “park and grabs” and “virtuals” to get your cache fix.

2. You have more pictures of the caches hunts you’ve been on than you do of your family, or all of your family pictures have them holding a cache.

3. Your conversations all revolve around cache hunting, cache containers, cache bags, cache hiding tips, and where to buy geocaching accessories for the best price, or all of your co-workers shy away from you because they are sick of listening about geocaching.

4. You have to trade your vehicle in two years earlier than you planed on because some how the mileage has been “racked up”.

5. You think that any cache within 100 miles is near by.

6. You enjoy getting up at 5 a.m. in the morning to drive 50 miles to go to a mosquito infested bog to look for a FTF.

7. You tell the kids we’re going for a ride, and they ask if they can stay home with a baby sitter.

8. You start watching the numbers other cachers in your state have to see how many caches you need to move up a notch or two, or three.

9. You spend more time evenings in geocaching forums than you spend with your significant other.

10. You think you need a new GPSR because yours is a year old.

If you are in stage three, you need serious help. You need to get away from geocaching and get it out of your system, or it will take over your life. You need to sign up for G.A.A. (Geocachers anonymous association) immediately. Luckily for you the GAA offers meetings once a month. In extreme circumstances the specialist will see you on a one on one basis. The latter is quite expensive, but much cheaper than letting yourself get to stage four.

(Stage 4) If you have reached this point there is only one known cure.

1. You think you're being frugal if you spend less than $2,000 dollars this year on electronic equipment, cache containers, geo coins, and other caching necessities.

2. The most important factors when buying your new vehicle are: A) Is it 4 wheel drive? B) Will it hold all my cache gear, C) Does it get good mileage? (that’s not really important though) D) Does it have a 100,000 mile warrantee? And E) Does it come in camo.

3. You leave the house at 11:00 at night to go for a FTF run. - In a sandstorm.

4. You have to get a part time job , or dip into your savings because you need more money because of your addiction.

5. You make plans to go to geo-woodstock with your caching friends even though it’s your anniversary weekend.

6. You know all of your caching friend’s names, handles, and cell phone numbers, but have trouble remembering the name of the person that shares the house with you.

7. Your spouse tells you that they have found someone else and the first thing you ask is “how many finds do they have”?

8. You've been looking for caches so long that the only way you can get home is to punch your home co-ords into the gpsr and follow the arrow home.

9. The only way your spouse can get your attention is to instant message you through the geocaching forums.

10. You lie to your spouse about how much caching you do, or you lie to your boss about being sick so that you can cache today.

11. You don’t let your friends call your cell phone anymore because a new cache might come up and you don’t want to miss the chance for a FTF.

12. You get mad when your wife tells you that you cannot name the new baby Garmin.

13. You look forward to the day when you can retire and spend every day caching, but it’s driving you crazy because you are only 30.

Since you are now a risk to the general population you must be quarantined until you are completely cured. You will have to check into an institution (yes, that kind) and go through shock therapy and deep regression hypnosis. You will probably have to have at least a dozen treatments before you can again be released back into the public. But by then, you will be numb to the world around you, (much like you were before the treatments) and a useless member of society, (much like you were before the treatments).

There is one other possible cure that is being tested but is not yet approved by the FDA, and that is having someone drive you around and make you do 500 lamp pole micros. It is thought that this may be the permanent cure.

Edited by haffy

Hallo Haffy

Thank you for yor expert and detailed explanation of this dreaded infectious disease. I never thought that it could be so dangerous. After I took the self-test it was confirmed that I am in stage III - my wife says so!

As soon as I get out of rehabilitation I am going to spend my time and knowledge to finding a cure for all afflicted Geocachers. Thinking of developing a vaccine for Geocachers and an anti-viral spray for GPS'r.

Please excuse me - I have to rush away but I will be back for more conversation soon.

Triptrick, I hope the damage to the vehicle is minor, would you be taking your brothers Jeep to the event?

Regards

LeonW

Hi Triptrick

I just checked and nobody made a post in the South African forums since yesterday. What has happened? Are everybody holding their breath for the cricket match tomorrow? That could be really life threatening to hold your breath that long.

Maybe the guys are packing their caravans, checking all the last minute preparations for the xtra long weekend. That would explain why the computers are abandoned. Could not get any accomodation ourselves in Fouriesburg, but I will use the weekend to make some signature swag items.

I hope that they did not contract an ailment like the Flu, now in bed with a hot lemon medication.

Be well.

LeonW

;):laughing:

Hi,

all computers and printers are busy printing cache listings for the long upcoming weekend, just a short break to read the forum while a program to decipher some puzzle caches is downloaded.

Tricktick, a real cacher with GAD plans his long weekend according where most caches are hidden, into the car and off you go with all the listings at hand.

Where are you planning to go?

Just another comment from a semi experienced cacher.

Cache Fan

;);)

semi experienced
read, sneaky devilish cache hider.

I am starting to believe that the true vector for GAD is these

semi experienced
cachers that must feed their need for geocaching by placing more and more caches.

It is an endless vortex of despair!

:laughing:

Edited by LeonW

Well the South African Cricket against Aussie was horrible. :lol:

Maybe I give up watching sport on TV and do something useful and that does not dissapoint me. Like GeoCaching...

I find myself sitting in my study at 02H30 on this Thursday morning before the long weekend. The BoerBoels are upset about something so they decided to wake the neighborhood with thier wolf imitation and barking. I was not having a good rest anyway, as I was in this semi comotose state of mind, you know when you have things on your mind and you are sleeping, but not really. I actually thought it was time to get up but then I looked at the clock! Not fair. As I actually enjoy a good sleep. Call it another favourite pass-time of mine.

So now...sitting here with my favourite Nescafe Espresso Dark Roast Coffee, steaming on my desk, my thoughts turn to Geocaching once more...

I have been trying to limit myself over the last week or two, but now that the weekend is upon me, I need to plan for at least two full days of caching. If I can get that one past the authorities... due to my last attempt at finding a cache ended up with me being towed out of a spot my vehicle could not negotiate. Embarrasing to say the least but fun all the same...

Think I might try get rid of the drive-by or quickies west of the N1 that are irritating me for one of the days. So some of the West Rand Caches, as they are close to my home in Littlefalls. Then venture out and try some unfinished business with "Take a Hike" and maybe further afield into the Magaliesburg again to finish some there.

I am also burning to hide 2 or three now with my mind in overtime about the containers, swag, location etc...

So maybe this weekend it is time to hide some to give back to the community as it were. I don't think I will try be "clever" too soon with hiding, I think well placed Traditional regular caches are best for now. Can think of multi's and puzzles later.

Anyway, my coffee is finished and now with a double helping of caffeine coursing through my veins, I will try climb into bed again.

Night.

So you say the cricket was that bad. I did not watch as I did not want to jinx the guys, must have had a premonition. Well now the whole country could start to breath again, cry a bit, breath a bit.

On the first Event that we attended we were in the Magaliesburg area which has beautiful scenery and a lot of interesting caches. As we did not hunt them all I think the time has come to complete them and we will be heading that way.

Can recommend that you do a few on the way to Plumari which has has been repaired and begs to be found.

Don't be mad at the dogs, a better early warning system against the "plague" is still to be found. As it is also a long weekend it is again open season.

Just to prove to myself that I am not afflicted with GAD I am going to refrain from visiting these forums again until Wednesday.

Enjoy the weekend.

LeonW :lol:

Edited by LeonW

Hey Triptrick,

Seems that you are quite (um how to put to politely? well...) sick and LeonW is quickly following in your shadow :lol: To help you remove all sleep from your system I had to quickly check out the SA geocacher rankings and to my surprise I noticed that LeonW is not even listed. (sorry LW, this has been fixed, check your mail).

I took a screen shot of some interesting data and can provide you with more if you feel like staying up and pondering over times spent caching and not caching late into the night! Hope you don’t mind that I share some details on the public forum :)

r_triptric_activity.JPG

It looks like you are doing quite well, but all I can say is don’t worry about you GAD there are plenty of silent members of the community that have had this affliction for quite some time and have managed to work it into their lives.

The second couple to have a Geocache Honeymoon seem to be quite addicted to well… quite the wrong things, but in the land of many caches (MP) one has to cache!

r_TIF_activity.JPG

Hope that TrackinFind are having a great time and that your embrace your addiction. I remember organising last years Easter holiday to Lois Trichard just so we could place our Travel bug in one of the most remote pitstop caches.

Just to prove to myself that I am not afflicted with GAD I am going to refrain from visiting these forums again until Wednesday.

LeonW,

Doesn't Logging finds also count as "I am not afflicted with GAD I am going to refrain from visiting these forums again until Wednesday." ? -- Just a question... :anicute:

Goeiemiddag Triptrick

Are you there? No activity since 27 April in this thread I see. But man, you almost caught me out. I were just going to respond to your wager of 50 ZAR, when I realized it was a trap. In my last posting I said that I am not going to post in the forums but you will surely understand that I need to log my caches found.

Allthough I believe that I am not over the edge yet, it has become very clear that I am addicted (in a very, very small way) for I could not wait for today to reply. :(

The family had a very nice weekend, Friday visited the Magaliesburg area, found 4 caches of which the Arbour Garden almost became a DNF, when the youngest daughter found it. She was ecstatic.

My preparations for the special cache is coming on nicely, but your "trick" has changed the stakes, be advised that I am going to do my best as a newbie hider to "trip" you up. (Two puns in one sentence - my personal best!) :(

So what have I learned about my idiotic last post. I were stupid to even post it. Also that I am not full blown GAD, and that 50 ZAR is enough to torture me. :cool:

See you soon.

LeonW

But man, you almost caught me out. I were just going to respond to your wager of 50 ZAR, when I realized it was a trap.

I thought you might be absolutely dying to respond... :cool: you are a stronger person than me, as I would have responded.

My preparations for the special cache is coming on nicely, but your "trick" has changed the stakes...

I look forward to the challenge...

So what have I learned about my idiotic last post. I were stupid to even post it. Also that I am not full blown GAD, and that 50 ZAR is enough to torture me. :(

And I am R50 poorer. :(

We wnt to the Take a Hike where I damaged my car a few days ago to sort it out... but alas, we went there too late and could not finish it... found all the Way points though... It is really a nice slog.... I mean walk...

So I need to get there one last time to finish it up... Also want to take the 2 "Adopt a Cache" in the cache to hide in the park (If they are still in the cache) as it has plenty of good spots and is quite big... One could spend a day or two in there walking around.... might be easier with a real 4X4 though. would only take an hour or two... but then again, whats the fun in that.

Hi triptrick

Forget the ZAR's, you need it more to repair the bakkie for the next event. If it was biltong then I would not have refused it. :cool:

I see that you have been quite active over the weekend, this game is addictive for sure, but the benefit of exploring new places far outweighs all the negative aches and pains.

Keep well.

Goeie more Triptrick

Just a quick note after a late night spent in front of the computer screen.

You really were busy lately, hidden two caches and what a nice "Blog".

There is no way that one can escape this hobby it seems, for now to tempt any soul they launch an event right in your backyard on the 12th. I were e-mailed by none other than "NotBlonde" asking if I would attend.

Me thinks that the "Lunatic Secret Geocache Squad" would be undercover to incarcerate me. Heads up warning to all.

Hope to see you there.

LeonW :(

You really were busy lately, hidden two caches and what a nice "Blog".

There is no way that one can escape this hobby it seems, for now to tempt any soul they launch an event right in your backyard on the 12th. I were e-mailed by none other than "NotBlonde" asking if I would attend.

Me thinks that the "Lunatic Secret Geocache Squad" would be undercover to incarcerate me. Heads up warning to all.

Hope to see you there.

LeonW :cool:

Not been that busy caching, could do more if it were up to me, but I am on a diet you know... :cool:

The blog started off just being a place I could put photo's and news from home for my sister that recently immigrated to Alberta, Canada. She is also an avid cache fan now and converting those Mounties aswell... B)

Yes the Scratch Patch CITO event is about 2.3Km as the crow flies from my house... however, My Sister In Law and her husband have asked us to be godparents and to thier 2 sons and both are going to be Christened at 11AM on the 12th... So unless I want an uprising in the family, I should attend the Christening. So I will have to pass on this one, or make a turn later in the day...

Maybe leave some trash for me??? :huh: Also keep the fire warm...

Hi Triptrick

I notice that your GAD is under control, hope not to cause any distress but I thought a little info on your "thingie" will be in order.

It looks like a GPS, it does say GPS, you can hold it in your hand; it also comes with a warning - "Geocaching is highly addictive, don't start."

See you hopefully soon.

LeonW :P

Hi Triptrick

I notice that your GAD is under control, hope not to cause any distress but I thought a little info on your "thingie" will be in order.

It looks like a GPS, it does say GPS, you can hold it in your hand; it also comes with a warning - "Geocaching is highly addictive, don't start."

LeonW :blink:

Hmmm, sounds interesting, tell me, if it looks like a GPS, Says GPS and one can hold it in your hand, does that not make it a GPS? :D

Yes, I think I got this thing under control now... For the time being anyway.

Saw 2 new Published Caches nearish my house today, Thought I would dash out and Redeem them as FTF and my 50th Find. Only to not find them as they were temporarily disabled... :D

You gonna be at Bigger and Better 07?

My PC at home was leveled by a virus of sorts on Saturday :laughing:. Despite having the latest Anti Virus Software, Anti-Spyware Sotware and a Third Party Firewall in place.

So now I have installed Ubuntu Linux 5.04 again. But it is Too old. So I downloaded 7.04 last night 700Mb Worth. :anicute:

Now just need to get it to cut onto disk correctly (as he throws the 4th disk in the bin)

But still have issue that GSAK cannot run on Linux, neither can MapSource etc.

Catch 22

..... installed Ubuntu Linux 5.04 again. But it is Too old. So I downloaded 7.04 ......

Triptrick,

Sounds like you found something indoors to do, looking for an excuse nót to go caching ?

Certainly the weather is helping to find a cure for GAD. :laughing: