Mt. St. Helens Should Become a National Park?

Prying Pandora

Press Release

I wonder if this will mean the end of GC8 and the other fine caches on Mt. St. Helens. :huh:

I am more perturbed at the fact that they are going to close the visitors center, but I think I heard that the forest service was consitering alowing a mining opperation nearby as well.

Maybe its for the best. That is a really unique area and it seems strange that they would close the visitors center.

Press Release

I wonder if this will mean the end of GC8 and the other fine caches on Mt. St. Helens. :huh:

I am more perturbed at the fact that they are going to close the visitors center, but I think I heard that the forest service was consitering alowing a mining opperation nearby as well.

Maybe its for the best. That is a really unique area and it seems strange that they would close the visitors center.

Nobody in their right mind closes an 11.3 million facility that has a good run on tourism. They played this as their bid to increase the budget. Cantwell called their bluff and decided to turn it over to the Park Service.

Press Release

Coldwater Ridge isn't the only visitor center; the main one is Johnston Ridge. However, agree with Totem Lake, nobody closes a popular, $11 million facility that casually. And while I'd hate to see the geocaches go (looks like GC8, sadly, may already be gone), looking at the bigger picture, I'd like to see the mountain protected and accessible.

Press Release

I wonder if this will mean the end of GC8 and the other fine caches on Mt. St. Helens. ;)

Coldwater Ridge isn't the only visitor center; the main one is Johnston Ridge. However, agree with Totem Lake, nobody closes a popular, $11 million facility that casually. And while I'd hate to see the geocaches go (looks like GC8, sadly, may already be gone), looking at the bigger picture, I'd like to see the mountain protected and accessible.

Well looks like the Coldwater facility is being closed down due to budget cuts. There is a backlog of 13 million in repairs to be done to the facility including a leaking roof that requires a line of buckets to catch the water along one wall.

The center will remain open until 4PM Monday then close its doors to visitors for good. Employees will remain behind as long as they can to try to act as caretakers to the facility and try to keep some of the area clear of snow.

Source: KOMOTV.COM