Hiding a cache- What are good things to leave for FTF?

I have a cunning plan for my next hide, it will be only my second hide mind you, so some feedback on this idea would be appreciated. Within the main cache container I have another container of the same kind, but smaller obviously. The second container with its own swag, logbook, pen and stash note is what I intend to be the FTF prize. :D

I'll be leaving a note explaining that the cache within the cache is for them to hide as they see fit.

Whattaya reckon?

I have a cunning plan for my next hide, it will be only my second hide mind you, so some feedback on this idea would be appreciated. Within the main cache container I have another container of the same kind, but smaller obviously. The second container with its own swag, logbook, pen and stash note is what I intend to be the FTF prize. :D

I'll be leaving a note explaining that the cache within the cache is for them to hide as they see fit.

Whattaya reckon?

We've done this with a couple of our hides, and the first finder has seemed to like it a lot! Not only is it a nice prize for them, and it (hopefully) means a new cache for the area, which is a prize for everyone else. When we did this, we included a note explaining that the extra "cache" was for the FTF to take, name and hide themselves. We asked in the note that the new cache be placed within 10 miles of the existing one (unless they were from out of town), and that they email us once it is published so we can check it out.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

I especially liked the unactivated TB and geocoins and the cache-within-a-cache ideas.

I've just had my first 3 caches published so I didn't have time to get those ready. Instead I left gift certificates to the cinema and TimHorton's.

My FTF really liked the cinema gift cert.

One of our active local cachers sometimes leaves a well-camoed ammo can nearby, with coordinates to the can on the logbook on the FTF page. His ammo cans are a work of art and are kind of like his signature item. Most cachers would be proud to get one, and it helps put another cache out there eventually.

If the container is big enough, I usually leave a pre-loaded Micro or Small cache to promote cache placing by people who, for whatever reason, have a lot of finds but have not gotten around to placing caches much. My last hide was an ammo can and it contained a small container cache that was ready to go. I'm still new when it comes to placing caches, but I usually try and have useful items in the cache, batteries, keychains, and other items people may want (things I wish had been in some caches at times).

I put a lot of effort into making sure that the caches I place are well stocked, even if the size ranges from a decon container to an ammo box. So I figure that the first to find can trade for whatever is there before the cache contents degrade (as they rapidly do). And I often start the cache with a brand new, activated geocoin, which gives the first to find an icon should they want it.

On the other hand, I have spun a game board's spinner and left prizes for whatever number that came up (third to find, fifth to find, etc.). FTFs are generally a matter of circumstance, geography, and timing -- and if the person is committed to getting there first, that is its own reward. But the third, fourth, or five cacher is going there out of a commitment to the cache so I don't mind rewarding them for that and including a bit of randomness into the game.

On the other hand, I have spun a game board's spinner and left prizes for whatever number that came up (third to find, fifth to find, etc.). FTFs are generally a matter of circumstance, geography, and timing -- and if the person is committed to getting there first, that is its own reward. But the third, fourth, or five cacher is going there out of a commitment to the cache so I don't mind rewarding them for that and including a bit of randomness into the game.

What an interesting idea! I personally dont care about FTF all that much. I mainly go to new caches that are not micro so the kids get a better shot at better swag.

Thanks for the idea!

I have a coin store nearby. They sell me large foreign silver coins at bulk rates, which I often leave as FTF prizes. Other times I'll leave coords for a fully stocked, fully camo'ed ammo can hidden nearby.

I think that's a neat idea to leave the coords for a stocked cache for the FTF person to take. Might give that a try myself. :lol:

I just bought some buttons from Bumble Buttons. The owner is a geocacher, and she sells some FTF buttons that I liked. Her buttons always get grabbed fast, but I have never seen one of the FTF ones around here. They'd be fun to find, without going overboard on spending. I've put out something like 40 caches and can't afford $50 gift certificates.