My topic just got shut down?

Hobo2

:D I didn’t know I was stepping on some infringement rights. I like a good laugh, so I thought I would “play it again Sam”, but they shut me down. What did I do wrong here, why did my thread get shut down? It was different than my first one, and different than the one that was posted in 2002 (for which I had known idea of its existence). I have seen threads ask the same questions as someone else without being shut down. I have also seen repeated subjects being discussed by others without being shut down. Please tell me what I did wrong?

Hobo2

Repeated subject of other older threads.

I still don’t get it, if something is fun to read, isn’t it always fun to read? How many times do we watch the same funny show for example? And who is it who that decides if I have read a thread enough? And what about Newbe’s, will they see a good thread that was written back in 2002, or even a month ago for that matter?

Wow, this blows me away.

I still don’t get it, if something is fun to read, isn’t it always fun to read? How many times do we watch the same funny show for example? And who is it who that decides if I have read a thread enough? And what about Newbe’s, will they see a good thread that was written back in 2002, or even a month ago for that matter?

Wow, this blows me away.

If you add your new material to the bottom of the thread, it will get bumped to the top of the forum.

Wow, this blows me away.

But they don't re-shoot the same show again and again just so you can watch it again. The author doesn't write the same book again from the start just so someone else can read it.

If you like the old treads, then read them, post to them, enjoy them, but don't rewrite them.

So?

Mopar was right - the "bad" part is knowing that an identical thread exists and not just bumping it to the top.

My reasons exactly.

That and saying you wrote the very first one. My point was to show that you did not, and that the oldest one was from January of 2002 no less. It was bumping up to the top again just a few weeks ago in fact.

Edited to add that that oldest one is actually kind of interesting. Look at some of those names on the first page. Us old timers will get a nice stroll down memory lane.

Edited by mtn-man

So?

Mopar was right - the "bad" part is knowing that an identical thread exists and not just bumping it to the top.

So let me get this right… I am a bit offended. If I see a thread asking a question that has been asked before, or discussion referring to a subject that has already been covered, then I should have it shut down? I can’t post a poem or something unless I am certain it hasn’t been posted here before? I mean where is the harm? Why do you care how many times I post or rewrite something? Is there some sort of limit, or is this plane old censorship?

So?

So let me get this right… I am a bit offended. If I see a thread asking a question that has been asked before, or discussion referring to a subject that has already been covered, then I should have it shut down? I can’t post a poem or something unless I am certain it hasn’t been posted here before? I mean where is the harm? Why do you care how many times I post or rewrite something? Is there some sort of limit, or is this plane old censorship?

The MODs often close duplicate threads because they break up any disscussion into a bunch of different places making it hard to follow and/or comment it on. Or you'll have different people all saying about the same thing in different places (ie waste people's time responding).

If someone asks a question and the answer is yes, no, 42, it may get answered before a MOD notieces, but they may still lock it. Its Even more likely to be locked when the response is something that is not a quick answer and would probably be better off (for reasons already stated) being added to another existing thread.

Don't get offended about having a thread in an internet forum locked. There are plenty of far more worthwhile causes in the world that are worthy of your offense ;-)

As a forum reader, I'd rather have an old thread bumped than have to slog through a gazillion new threads of the same material.

-eP

So?

The problem lies in Knowingly starting a dup

If you feel that you are not getting the level of service you should be from the reviewers or forum moderators simply e-mail; reviewers@geocaching.com with your concerns.

This e-mail address is only for reporting concerns regarding Cache reviewers and Forum Moderators.

Happy Geocaching

So?

My reasons exactly.

That and saying you wrote the very first one. My point was to show that you did not, and that the oldest one was from January of 2002 no less. It was bumping up to the top again just a few weeks ago in fact.

Edited to add that that oldest one is actually kind of interesting. Look at some of those names on the first page. Us old timers will get a nice stroll down memory lane.

This reason does make sense... I can see what you are trying to do now. But I still don’t think shutting down someone’s thread is the answer, that’s censorship in the purest form. Like mtn-man did, listing the thread where the subject has been discussed before would solve the redundant issue. But I still feel my toes were stepped on here. Regardless of whether you feel my thread is redundant, or a copy cat, or not worthy in your eyes of being posted (unless it is offensive of coarse), my thread is my thread! I am disappointed that you feel free to have so much control over people and there thoughts.

It also sounds like you wanted to prove to me that this subject was already out there before, how would I know this? As I said, a simple note with a thread attached (as you put in my thread when you shut me down), in the first one I wrote (1-18-07, forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=153911&hl=), would have stopped me from posting what I thought was an original joke/idea again... well maybe not even then. My spin on this was different.

Don't get offended about having a thread in an internet forum locked. There are plenty of far more worthwhile causes in the world that are worthy of your offense ;-)

As a forum reader, I'd rather have an old thread bumped than have to slog through a gazillion new threads of the same material.

-eP

I second that. It is better to go through and just read any new material and ideas then to read the same ones over and over.

And if you are new to a thread is it not still Internet courtesy to lurk for at least a little while and search the old posts to see if your question has already been answered? I know that was true in the ancient days of the BBS, I kind of assumed it still applied today.

Since I am the offender, let me explain some of the reasoning.

Yes, there are lots of subjects that will get posted again and again. We look at them in their context.

If someone comes into the forums and posts a topic that is asking a genuine question to help them understand or clarify some aspect of geocaching, we tend to let it go and run its course. Lots of those topics tend to be new cachers just needing help. They usually don't run long and fall off the page quickly.

In your case, you came in and posted a topic which was simply humor, which is not necessarily a bad thing. You admitted that you started a tangent topic yourself very recently, which was allowed to stay open. This particular "one liner" topic has been done a number of times though. Part of the reason why that original topic has been bumped so many times over the years is because this same thing has happened -- someone thinks they are starting it for the first time and the topic is closed and we link to the existing topic. Honestly, there is no useful information being generated. No one is being helped. It is just comedy, which, once again, is not necessarily a bad thing. Instead of having all of the same additional "one liners" being redone again, you can read through the existing five pages and get all of the stuff that has been posted before.

The difference is the intent of the topic.

I hope this helps clarify and explain the rationale.

This reason does make sense... I can see what you are trying to do now. But I still don’t think shutting down someone’s thread is the answer, that’s censorship in the purest form. Like mtn-man did, listing the thread where the subject has been discussed before would solve the redundant issue. But I still feel my toes were stepped on here.
I am sorry, but you are incorrect. I did not censor you. You can feel free to post in the other topic.

Regardless of whether you feel my thread is redundant, or a copy cat, or not worthy in your eyes of being posted (unless it is offensive of coarse), my thread is my thread!
Maybe, but these are not your discussion forums. I will point to and quote from the guidelines for posting in the forums, which are linked at the top of every page in the forums:
Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions posted, but this is a moderated discussion forum. We simply want to preserve the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending participants. This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate. The additional step of editing or deleting a post will only be taken in appropriate circumstances; again, the intent is not to censor legitimate discussion or to change the meaning of any post. If we edit a post and you do not like the changes please feel free to notify us and we will delete your post.
Edited by mtn-man

Since I am the offender, let me explain some of the reasoning.

Yes, there are lots of subjects that will get posted again and again. We look at them in their context.

If someone comes into the forums and posts a topic that is asking a genuine question to help them understand or clarify some aspect of geocaching, we tend to let it go and run its course. Lots of those topics tend to be new cachers just needing help. They usually don't run long and fall off the page quickly.

In your case, you came in and posted a topic which was simply humor, which is not necessarily a bad thing. You admitted that you started a tangent topic yourself very recently, which was allowed to stay open. This particular "one liner" topic has been done a number of times though. Part of the reason why that original topic has been bumped so many times over the years is because this same thing has happened -- someone thinks they are starting it for the first time and the topic is closed and we link to the existing topic. Honestly, there is no useful information being generated. No one is being helped. It is just comedy, which, once again, is not necessarily a bad thing. Instead of having all of the same additional "one liners" being redone again, you can read through the existing five pages and get all of the stuff that has been posted before.

The difference is the intent of the topic.

I hope this helps clarify and explain the rationale.

Ok, your the boss.

No, that would be Jeremy.

Feel free to write as COAdmin suggested above if you feel my actions are not correct in this case. I stand by my last two post as the reasons for my actions. I am truly sorry if you feel offended. The censorship comments offended me, but it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Feel free to write as COAdmin suggested above if you feel my actions are not correct in this case. I stand by my last two post as the reasons for my actions. I am truly sorry if you feel offended. The censorship comments offended me, but it isn't that big of a deal to me.

Your own quote of the guidelines helps my case:

"This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate".

The key words here are "BEFORE TAKING ANY ACTIONS", I just wish it would have been handled this way.

I will try to do some research (although this sounds more time consuming than reading a redundant thread), before I post any more threads.

I apologize if I came on too strong, but this sort of stuff does rub me the wrong way. Please don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate the work you do, I just think it was inappropriate the way my thread was closed without any prier notice.

I don't understand what you meant by saying "no big deal to you", but I will let that slide as well.

I am done with this, lets move on.

Hobo2

Edited by Hobo2

Your own quote of the guidelines helps my case:

"This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate".

The key words here are "IF THIS IS APPROPRIATE".

Hobo2

Fixed it for you, too.

Actually, I don't particularly relish reading through googol of pages of an old thread. I would much rather have the fresh new one that need not be "waded" through.

I realise this is more pertinent in a substantive thread, but there are always those who will say "if you had READ the entire thread, you would have seen that your opinion was already posted- or soundly trashed."

Quite frankly, if anyone reads an entire 25 page thread- especially if they are not already involved in the discussion, i would have to question their sanity, or at least if they have any semblance of a "life."

As far as duplicate topics go, Solomon said "there is nothing new under the sun" about 5000 years ago. it doesn't take long on these forums to validate his observation. After all, we hunt hidden boxes. just how many really NEW ways can you discuss that anyway?

A good rant or a good comedy every now and again, and perhaps even a good flambe, lends interest to what could well be akin to watching paint dry.

Anyway the duplicate thread is closed, time to move on. But I sympathize with the OP's position.

I hate reading through a bunch of already decided crap from people who have dissapeared from threads 5 years ago. It slants and biases current opinions and stuff. I would rather see a fresh perspective on an old topic. Thanks.

Chris

Edit - I didn't even manage to get to the thread above me ... which echos my opinion ... before posting. I don't usually go through a bunch of long winded old threads. I also have no clue what the nature of the OP's closed topic was since it was never linked and was only mention in a fairly obscure manner.

Anyway. Perhaps we could all lighten up with a quick round of geocaching. It's this great GPS game I heard about ...

Edited by Muddy Chris

I hate reading through a bunch of already decided crap from people who have dissapeared from threads 5 years ago. It slants and biases current opinions and stuff. I would rather see a fresh perspective on an old topic. Thanks.

Chris

Edit - I didn't even manage to get to the thread above me ... which echos my opinion ... before posting. I don't usually go through a bunch of long winded old threads. I also have no clue what the nature of the OP's closed topic was since it was never linked and was only mention in a fairly obscure manner.

Anyway. Perhaps we could all lighten up with a quick round of geocaching. It's this great GPS game I heard about ...

Did you know there's a bat in your Avatar? Just checking. :laughing:

His closed post was called "Play it again Sam and it was another "You might be a geocacher" thread, it can't be to far away, I'm sure you'll find it.