Printing a PDF with the hint decrypted

New Jersey TJ

I am trying to use the 'Print PDF with 10 logs' function to print cache pages. Even if I have selected the hint to be decrypted prior to printing the pdf, the hint is printed in encrypted form when the pdf is written.

Is there any way to use the print pdf function and have the pdf created with the hint decrypted. If not, does anyone have any workarounds?

Thanks!

Therber, thanks . .that's what I've been doing, but even if I click on decrypt first, the pdf still gets written with the hint encrypted. The hint stays decrypted for you?

Miragee . . . I'm glad you export the info to your M500 so you don't use paper or ink . . but that wasn't my question. Actually, I copy the pdfs over to a Palm as well. How do you copy them so that they transfer with the hint decrypted?

I found a solution . . a bit of work . . . after I create the PDF, I copy the decrypted hint from the web page and then open the PDF in Acrobat (Professional). I can then paste the decrypted hint using the text touchup tool.

Sure would be nice if the hint would just print decrypted.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks!

<snip>

Actually, I copy the pdfs over to a Palm as well. How do you copy them so that they transfer with the hint decrypted?

I found a solution . . a bit of work . . . after I create the PDF, I copy the decrypted hint from the web page and then open the PDF in Acrobat (Professional). I can then paste the decrypted hint using the text touchup tool.

<snip>

That sure seems like a lot of work, especially if you are using a Palm. If you use Cachemate on your Palm you can Export the information from GSAK with the Hint decrypted. Cachemate gives you the entire cache description, as well as the Past Logs, which sometimes give more information for finding the cache than the hint does.

Like racatv, I use "Special Tags" to get a lot of information on my GPSr, including the hint, if it is short.

From the time this feature was introduced, I have not been able to print a .pdf with decrypted hints. On the subject of sending to PDA, I use the export HTML feature in GSAK to save to my PDA. Allows for searches by name, owner, or closest to a specific caches. Words well enough but I have been meaning to buy cachemate so I can use off of its great features, just haven't gotten around to it.

Same thing happens to us, but our GPS Garmin 76csx shows the clue. I like that feature

How does the 76CSX show the clue? When I download a wapoint from Geocaching.com I get a .loc file that has no clue information, just the GCXXX , coords and name. What software do you use to upload waypoints?

Same thing happens to us, but our GPS Garmin 76csx shows the clue. I like that feature

How does the 76CSX show the clue? When I download a wapoint from Geocaching.com I get a .loc file that has no clue information, just the GCXXX , coords and name. What software do you use to upload waypoints?

You need to use Pocket Queries to get a .GPX file - open in Geocaching Swiss Army Knife and send to your GPS with %hint in the notes field.

You must be a premium member to do all that. :)

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it depends on what browser you are using. I just tried a simple case using Opera and it worked fine (PDF had decrypted text). Try a different browser -- on Windows, IE, Firefox and Opera are all free. On a Mac, try switching between Safari, Firefox, and Opera.

Edward

I've tried both Firefox v2 and IE7 . . neither still work for me. The official answer from Geocaching.com tech support is that it is not possible.

Another solution if you don't want to do a pocket query or use Cachemate is to decrypt the hint, and then print to a pdf writer. The only problem with this is that you many not get as many logs as you want . . . or too many if you show all of them.

It's just not a perfect world . .. .

I may have mislead you -- sorry. I missed the part about using the "print PDF" link. I'm not a premium user and so wasn't familiar with it.

My guess (I can't look at the JavaScript without being a premium member) is that the link loads a new page temporarily and does the print-to-PDF, so you don't have a chance to decrypt anything.

Here's how I got it to work. Using Opera 9.10 under WinXP, clicked on the show all logs link ("view them all on one page"), then on decrypt. Then I printed and selected a PDF print driver, either Docucom PDF Driver (the one I usually use) or Acrobat PDFWriter (version 5.0). In both cases I got all the logs and the decrypted hint, and presumably would have gotten any decrypted logs as well. I didn't try restricting the number of pages, but that should work, giving you the amount of information you want.. Since you have Acrobat Pro, this should work unless something has changed in a later version. Docucom PDF Driver is $50 from pdfwizard.com.

There's a good chance this method would work with any browser and any software which creates a PDF by acting as a print driver.

Edward

Edited by paleolith