Geocaching rules

Mr'D

I was just looking through the Groundspeak rules page to look up something about cache ratings, and I noticed something in there that I hadn't picked up on before :D

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

I am (normally) guilty of two rule infringements :wub:

Anyone else?

Jon :wub:

A good point has been raised here. The basic ethos of caching has been lost over the years. I remember when a friend told me about caching a few years ago, he would tell me of the interesting things he would find in caches. How you would swap them for something of equal value/interest. But now all you see is TNLN people are out just for a competition which they will never win.(or as far as i'm aware they won't win) I think it would be nice to get back to either swaping something other than discarded or broken/used toys for something nice. Signature items are always good. I am going to stop putting in FTF prizes as i seem to be the only one who does it.

No offense meant to anyone.

I agree about the swaps - you find some real rubbish in caches at times. I adopted a cache near me this week and did a maintenance visit today. I found an empty matchbox, a piece of plastic, a plastic spear from a toy, a 1p coin, a 5p coin, a used party popper, 3 x used glo bracelets, a tube of toothpaste (fullsize), 2 x stones (not even intersting ones) and several cache listings that had been discaded in the cache as if it were a rubbish bin.

I have restocked it with better swaps but I cannot believe that any of these items were swopped as equivalent or better.

A good point has been raised here. The basic ethos of caching has been lost over the years. I remember when a friend told me about caching a few years ago, he would tell me of the interesting things he would find in caches. How you would swap them for something of equal value/interest. But now all you see is TNLN people are out just for a competition which they will never win.(or as far as i'm aware they won't win) I think it would be nice to get back to either swaping something other than discarded or broken/used toys for something nice. Signature items are always good. I am going to stop putting in FTF prizes as i seem to be the only one who does it.

I fully agree with you Donmoore.

Admittedly I mostly take nothing but have a large stock of signature items which I'll deposit if there is room. I can remember when I started the fun was in seeing what to swop. Invariably I came away with nothing of any value BUT IT WAS FUN! Perhaps we should always do a swop or at least leave something.

I try to stock my new caches well but find that over time the quality goes down - I even saw a crow bottle top in a cache yesterday! At least cachers with some experience could get in the habbit of leaving a small trinket - it's a small price to pay for a fun hobby and think of all the fun we have searching charity shops for the swops not to mention the small benefit to the chrities.

FMC

Hmmmmm - I have to say that I disagree.

I don't always have my 'cache trash' bag with me, but nearly always have the GPS to hand (I find it fits so neatly into my handbag :rolleyes: ). When out caching with the smaller Badgers I often find it quite embarrassing how the first thing they want to do is empty out the entire contents of a cache just to find something to swap - though in fairness, they now have their own 'cache trash' bags too, as I was running out of swaps for them.

For me, the basic ethos of caching and the enjoyment is in the hunt; the getting out into the fresh air and visiting places I wouldn't necessarily have known about before. It's not about the swaps - nor the numbers - for me. Having said that, if I find a depleted cache and have something I can drop in, then I always do.

Like Mr Dewdrop, if TNLN were deemed unacceptable, then an awful lot of my finds would need to be scrubbed :laughing:

I've just submitted a cache for review in which all the swops are paperback books, TBs or coins. I have stated on the cache page that if anyone wants to swop anything, they should leave one of these items. It will be interesting to see what happens, I think it could be one of several things:

1. People whinge that books are too big to carry and TNLN - that would be fine by me, I don't mind whether or not people swop items,

2. People will swop books but over time the quality will gradually get worse - the books I placed in the cache are all complete, and in fairly good condition. Two of them are actually new. In a few months, will the cache be full of torn books with missing pages, leaflets and free magazines from the paper?

3. People will ignore the cache page, take out books and put in broken keyrings / tissues / bits of toys,

4. Or - and I know this is unlikely - it will work, and the quality of swops will stay quite high.

Time will tell...

Edited to add - forgot to ask - do 'members only' caches usually manage to keep a higher quality of trade items?

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

In the old days :laughing: the contents of caches varied wildly as today. Some were very good (I got a wireless mouse and FTF in this cache some 8 days after it was placed) but many caches contained junk. FTF prizes were more frequent. The quality of contents always seems to deteriorate over time and in particular themed caches rapidly loose their theme.

There were more big containers (larger ammo boxes, even large ice cream containers) and personally I think that a higher percentage were in good locations although thats probably because the best places went first.

Our kids love finding (good) used toys and I have no hesitation about putting them in.

personally I think that a higher percentage were in good locations although thats probably because the best places went first.

I agree that the best places probably went first. I have had several ideas for caches around where I live, but most of the 'top spots' were already taken when I joined.

I'm not complaining though, there are some great caches around here by people like Gary & Jane and Sandstorm, and even if I can't put my own container there, I still get to enjoy the nice spots by hunting for other people's caches.

I try to put thought into where I hide caches. Some of my hides are urban nanos, but I have tried to pick scenic or historically interesting spots in which to place them, rather than just sticking them on a bench in the middle of town. I generally find this to be the case with micros - most people do seem to put thought into locations.

I have one cache that I am not happy with, but I really can't think of where else I could put this at present (it is one of a series, so I can't just archive it) - it will depend on whether I get replies from a couple of landowners I have contacted.

Edited to add - forgot to ask - do 'members only' caches usually manage to keep a higher quality of trade items?

I don't think so. However I do think that may have been the original intention of laying member-only caches. Nowdays I think there is another agenda in creating member-only caches, and that's the subject of another recent thread... :laughing:

Jon

Sadly not!

Even in a cache which was for swapping keyrings and lanyards only, (small cache with a theme) one premium member took gc.com lanyard left small plastic thing of cheap plasters! I queried it and they promised to send a lanyard to top up the cache, did I get it? NO ... not yet. Am I holding my breath? No. Funny though, I saw them logging caches this week with the lanyard firmly on their gps.

Oh yeh, and it is someone who has found hundreds of caches, so you would imagine they had gotten the idea of the game by now, huh?

Petty? I don't think so, the idea is to trade even ... needless to say, it is the last gc.com lanyard that will be found in any of my new caches!

Hi all

We're "newbies" (20/02/07) and have just logged our 40th find! We were well advised to find some good "geoswag" before setting out! BUT whats good? It's all subjective (I'm a 'new' pocket tissue sinner! Great if you suffer from Hayfever though!).

We are nearing our 50th find and I have spent much time persuading the "georats" not to tip the whole contents of a cache out the minute they've found it without checking for muggles and to stop blowing party tooters in the middle of a wood or on a cliff top!(certainly dosen't look like we're just having a sarrnie!).

Most of the caches we have visited have been well stocked or brilliant micros and we have been able to leave some good swaps! However was astounded when told recently that they were going to sign the log, TN, and Leave three brand new items, when confronted with a nearly empty cache!

The contents of the caches has been the subject of many a conversation on returning in the car to base camp, so we are currently looking at purchasing a mixed bag of geopins to swap/drop. We think our all of "geoswag" will be going this way in future as I'm begining to have concerns about buying "geotat" made from non-replenishable resources (plastic toys, tokens etc) although the children enjoy finding them it's expensive and an environmental concern! I would rather they found something they could "use" forever or would prove to be a usable swap after they've "treasured" it for a while!

I also left an Easter Card and Bunny for the 'Next to find' and they left it because they didn't have any swaps!!! Even though it was Easter day that they found the cache! Will have to remember to write on "No swap required" next time!

I must add that we have been really blessed at Dorsetgal & Geodog's, Rhyme-intrinsica's and Jane and Gary's Caches they are all exceedingly good (to quote a well known baker!). We will deffo be looking out for Rhyme's "bookshop" as we alll love reading and have some great books to pass on!

Any more ideas gratefully received

minxyy 'princessannie' 'lectroboy' and 'bugboy'

Edited by minxyy

We had a bad case of a fairly large cache being found almost empty by its owner around here the other day and it had only been out in the field for about a month. The owner posted a picture - there's something very sad about an ammo can with just a few plastic toys at the bottom :D It didn't have that much more in when we found it, so most of the goodies must have been taken early on?

We all play the game differently, I don't see the issue if you don't wish to swap anything... Surely part of the attraction of geocaching is being taken to/finding intersting areas that you did not know about before...

Oh, and it's about the numbers [:D]

I still get excited to find a travel bug or geocoin in a cache. The other stuff I can do without to be honest - the 20p off next purchase of shampoo vouchers for example.

Most of my pleasure (having found the cache) comes from reading the last few logs as often people write quite entertaining little stories.

I apply quite a basic rule - I never leave anything that I wouldn't be happy to find myself. Having spent a fortune on geocoins it tends to be them these days.

I have often contemplated removing what I consider to be geocrap but I always stop myself - one person's geocrap might be geotreasure to somebody else.

As for the rules - who cares as long as nobody is getting hurt and you are enjoying yourself?

We just stuff em with good stuff to start with it takes a while for 20 odd swaps to deteriorate. We probably spend about £10 on each cache we place. A new cache with just three or four swaps in it will deteriorate very very quickly.

Hopefully we have always got the kids to trade up as thier swaps bags are full of brand new items usually bought at clearance time in tesco's or asda.