Outside the box on coins.

Hobo2

Everyone seems to be trying to customize, or make personal there own Geocoins. But who wants to pay a lot for having just one or two coins minted, or buy the same coin in bulk quantities.

Well how about this idea for a coin. Make one about the same diameter as a regular coin, but about twice as thick. This would allow a screw on/off back so the owner could put a note, personal symbol, or anything else to make it his/hers very own. The cost of such an engineered product may be higher than a regular coin, but it sure would be something special.

Sounds like you're describing a two part coin ... how about magnets? They've been used successfully for several different coin designs.

Not really a two part coin, more along the lines of a pocket watch or a locket, something that could store information from the owner on the inside. I see it being a geocoin/TB combination… call it geobox? It could be collectable as well as have a mission.

Edited by Hobo2

Sounds like you're describing a two part coin ... how about magnets? They've been used successfully for several different coin designs.

Not really a two part coin, more along the lines of a pocket watch or a locket, something that could store information from the owner on the inside. I see it being a geocoin/TB combination… call it geobox? It could be collectable as well as have a mission.

How about calling something like this Geolocket or Geobug?

Edited by Hobo2

Why don't you design and mint it :huh:

Yep. Sounds like a good idea.

The only flip-top-pocket-watch-type coin I can think of off hand is the notebook computer coin that just came out. I'm sure someone would make it.

Sounds neat. Can't wait to see it!

;) Sounds like something we've been working on for several months now! We can't wait to release this one, it's going to be our best yet!!!

Mrs. Cach-u-nut

This would be interesting to see. By that I mean that a lot of people still don't understand Geocoins and take them as keepers when they shouldn't.

Not sure how many people outside of these forums would know about them and understand to look inside for more information. I know it sounds like common sense - but that's sometimes severly lacking! :D

Why don't you design and mint it :D

The only flip-top-pocket-watch-type coin I can think of off hand is the notebook computer coin that just came out. I'm sure someone would make it.

:wub: Sounds like something we've been working on for several months now! We can't wait to release this one, it's going to be our best yet!!!

Mrs. Cach-u-nut

:wub: I am not interested in building such things myself, but I am interested in owning one. Sense we are of like minds... make sure I am one of the first, if not the first, to buy one of yours ok?

Thanks for the response

Hobo2

This would be interesting to see. By that I mean that a lot of people still don't understand Geocoins and take them as keepers when they shouldn't.

Not sure how many people outside of these forums would know about them and understand to look inside for more information. I know it sounds like common sense - but that's sometimes severly lacking! :wub:

You know what they say... "Common Sense isn't very common." :wub::wub:

I agree; this would be an interesting addition to the hobby. Now that I know that Cach-U-Nuts has been working on this idea (synchronicity is a wonderful thing :wub: ), I'm eager to see what they've come up with :D

Not sure how many people outside of these forums would know about them and understand to look inside for more information. I know it sounds like common sense - but that's sometimes severly lacking! :D

The directions on how to open, or rather how a "geobug" would work, could be posted on its page. But I do know exactly what you are saying. I am sure something like this would pass through some hands without being opened, that will just have to be there loss. And some would just buy it for a keepsake, what a waist.

There will always be folks like this... I still have a TB in one of my caches that hasn’t been recorded yet… three weeks now. But those of us that are truly interested in making the most out of geocoins and TB’s, this would be just the ticket, don’t you think?

Edited by Hobo2

It could be interesting yes. Kind of like a Geo-Pocket. But not sure if I would call it a "geocoin" - no drama intended. :D

To that point, wouldn't it violate this guideline?:

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

It could be interesting yes. Kind of like a Geo-Pocket. But not sure if I would call it a "geocoin" - no drama intended. :D

To that point, wouldn't it violate this guideline?:

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

Ya could be a problem. But this isn’t a coin per say. lets just watch and see.

If the laptop one opens so could a coin, couldn’t it, as long as it's flat (2D), I mean?

Edited by Hobo2

I agree; this would be an interesting addition to the hobby. Now that I know that Cach-U-Nuts has been working on this idea (synchronicity is a wonderful thing :wub: ), I'm eager to see what they've come up with :D

We're anxiously waiting for the dies to be finished for this project.....it's so exciting!!! Our concept is based on a pocket watch design - Artwork has been approved by Groundspeak as it is a "geocoin" with a flip top case!

The first samples are still several weeks out but we will post additional info as soon as we have it.

Why don't you design and mint it :wub:

:wub: Sounds like something we've been working on for several months now! We can't wait to release this one, it's going to be our best yet!!!

Mrs. Cach-u-nut

I've been privy to this great Cach-u-nut idea for several months now. They let me in on the die art to get my opinion a few months back, with the stipulation that I keep my lips sealed. Let's just say that when I started reading this thread, and saw Hobo2 describing something like a "Pocket Watch" or a "Locket", I almost had an accident (not the good kind either... wait I guess there isn't a good kind :D ). I couldn't decide whether to worry more about whether Hobo2 had my phone/computer under surveillance :wub: or whether I should worry that the Cach-u-nuts would drive over me in their Rubicon 'cause they'd think I was a Loose-Lipped-Lucy :wub: (truly I know they're too nice to do that, but I do like to maintain at least a modest degree of integrity most of the time).

So, I have two statements:

1st-I've seen the Cach-u-nut plans; in fact they're right in front of me at this moment (the plans, not the cach-u-nuts), and this is going to be awesome!!! I'd love to post a copy of the art right now, but these aren't my beans to spill.

2nd-Craig & Georgia, I spoke to no one about the die art. I think I'm being tracked.

First the Hockey puck incident last night, and now this??? I think its time to sweep the room for bugs, and go dark for awhile. Gotta go! :wub::wub::wub: Does anybody smell burning feathers?

Why don't you design and mint it :wub:

Mrs. Cach-u-nut

I've been privy to this great Cach-u-nut idea for several months now. They let me in on the die art to get my opinion a few months back, with the stipulation that I keep my lips sealed. Let's just say that when I started reading this thread, and saw Hobo2 describing something like a "Pocket Watch" or a "Locket", I almost had an accident (not the good kind either... wait I guess there isn't a good kind :wub: ). I couldn't decide whether to worry more about whether Hobo2 had my phone/computer under surveillance :wub: or whether I should worry that the Cach-u-nuts would drive over me in their Rubicon 'cause they'd think I was a Loose-Lipped-Lucy :wub: (truly I know they're too nice to do that, but I do like to maintain at least a modest degree of integrity most of the time).

So, I have two statements:

1st-I've seen the Cach-u-nut plans; in fact they're right in front of me at this moment (the plans, not the cach-u-nuts), and this is going to be awesome!!! I'd love to post a copy of the art right now, but these aren't my beans to spill.

2nd-Craig & Georgia, I spoke to no one about the die art. I think I'm being tracked.

First the Hockey puck incident last night, and now this??? I think its time to sweep the room for bugs, and go dark for awhile. Gotta go! :D:wub::wub: Does anybody smell burning feathers?

You are not being tracked; I just had this idea in my mind for some time now. Sorry if I divulged any ideas someone else had, this was not my intention. I was just merely expressing my thoughts here, it just happened to be the same as yours.

Buy the way, Cach-U-Nuts wrote me a very nice e-mail explaining the very things you describe here.

So calm down, there is no boggy man here, at least I hope so. It is merely as Cach-U-Nuts said, “great minds think alike”.

PS. Don't know anything about a Hockey Puck, but it wouldn't be too hard to imagine where you are going with that idea. :wub:

Hobo2