Placing first cache advice

fiatster

I don't know if your GPSr has an Averaging feature as my Garmin Vista C does. If it does, I set the GPSr down, let it settle for a while, then I mark the waypoint and let it average while I write a little note in the logbook about the cache.

If your GPSr doesn't average, then I would mark one waypoint, walk away in one direction, walk back, let the GPSr settle, and mark another waypoint. If you do this a few times, the waypoints should give you numbers that are not too far apart that you can average.

How do you average your waypoint for placing the cache. I have an explorist 500. Is there an automatic setting for this or is it done manually? If so, what is the procedure.

Thank you.

If you find that your 500 does not average, as suggested above, make multiple readings, preferably at different times of day and/or different days and go to the following links . . .

I'm a gonna Marwell you to a post I previous made that has some good information/links to an article on averaging coordinates and a piece of free software to make that chore easier for you.

Averaging Coordinates

It's worked very well for me and I'm using a little eTrex Legend.

Cache On!

JohnTee