Postage is going up...

Shop99er

WOW! Rates going up and DOUBLING is 2 different things..A bubble mailer that i normally mail directly through with paypal cost me $.77 normally with delivery confirmation. Now it has gone to $1.48 for the exact same thing. But checking usps.com the international rates seem similar.

Jayman11

That's cheaper than I paid today for a coin w/delivery confirmation. Mine went from $1.23 to $2.05. See my post above, but the postal computers wouldn't allow delivery confirmation to be added to large envelope rate like paypal and stamps.com seem to be allowing.

Hmmm that's odd, if you pay for delivery confirmation it should make no difference what size the package is, at least that would make sense to me. When i was just on those usps.com website i found a table that only showed 2 rates for delivery confirmation....1 was for priority (add $.65) and the other was for first class (add $.75). I dont think they have everything worked out properly to be implementing this so quickly.

Jayman11

so.... USPS will reject any packages with DC sent out as large envelopes?

That's what I was told. But who knows, maybe they'll be relaxed a little for the first week. I honestly don't think the workers understand this rate structure any better than we do (no offense to any postal workers).

Heck, they tried to tell me the two trades I mailed that DID GO at the large envelope rate (because they had no DC) might come back. I called BS on that one tho cause they meet the large envelope criteria 100% - based on that little 10 page rate booklet they passed out.

Hmmm that's odd, if you pay for delivery confirmation it should make no difference what size the package is, at least that would make sense to me. When i was just on those usps.com website i found a table that only showed 2 rates for delivery confirmation....1 was for priority (add $.65) and the other was for first class (add $.75). I dont think they have everything worked out properly to be implementing this so quickly.

Jayman11

Not so. The rule has always been that the package must be at least 3/4" thick to use delivery confirmation on a non-priority piece of mail. They just didn't always enforce it. However, they will now.

That's what I was told. But who knows, maybe they'll be relaxed a little for the first week. I honestly don't think the workers understand this rate structure any better than we do (no offense to any postal workers).

Heck, they tried to tell me the two trades I mailed that DID GO at the large envelope rate (because they had no DC) might come back. I called BS on that one tho cause they meet the large envelope criteria 100% - based on that little 10 page rate booklet they passed out.

I spoke with a couple of PO workers before my vacation and they both told me that this would be a "learn as it goes" type thing for them, and both of them are very capble workers. I don't think the PO was ever planning on training them on the new system until it was actually implemented today

Jayman11

Not so. The rule has always been that the package must be at least 3/4" thick to use delivery confirmation on a non-priority piece of mail. They just didn't always enforce it. However, they will now.

Ahhhh, yeah see they always shipped my 1 coin mailers for me with no problems with delivery conf. I hope they still do cause mailing through paypal they dont give you any other choice. I'm gonna run one through paypal tonight and take it to the PO tomorrow to mail with another international order and see what they have to say.

Jayman11

I spoke with a couple of PO workers before my vacation and they both told me that this would be a "learn as it goes" type thing for them, and both of them are very capble workers. I don't think the PO was ever planning on training them on the new system until it was actually implemented today

I worked for a company that like to use that "learn as you go" bit. Never really worked out well for anyone. Looks like anyone that relies on the post office (hmmmmm everyone!?!) is in for a bumpy ride.

Jayman11

thank god I sent out all my packages last night

Packages mailed Sunday had to have the Monday rates. Yeah, they didn't bother to tell anyone! Hopefully they'll go through though!

Oh isn't that nice.... I mean... PayPal didn't update their website yesterday, so who knows.... I guess I will find out when all my packages are sent back to me

Oh isn't that nice.... I mean... PayPal didn't update their website yesterday, so who knows.... I guess I will find out when all my packages are sent back to me

Yup - BUT you had a "mail on" date that was yesterday. This is the same as postmark, so I would think they would let it slide.

Btw, I caught paypal in mid update. They were working on the pages yesterday and had a scary looking page that was live for a few minutes that asked that package dimension be included on EVERY shipment. Then then page reverted. Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure they had developers working on the updated code late on a Sunday night. Glad to see them on the ball. :blink:

Yup - BUT you had a "mail on" date that was yesterday. This is the same as postmark, so I would think they would let it slide.

Btw, I caught paypal in mid update. They were working on the pages yesterday and had a scary looking page that was live for a few minutes that asked that package dimension be included on EVERY shipment. Then then page reverted. Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure they had developers working on the updated code late on a Sunday night. Glad to see them on the ball. :blink:

Yeah I saw that too as I was cramping all the shipping through... LOL

I saw the area that they are asking for dimension and went "oh gosh" and refreshed the page.... LOL

Yeah, one coin wasn't bad, but 2 to Germany was up considerably more than what it used to cost. Something like from $2.40 to $3.30 :blink:

Yes - some international rates almost doubled. It really hurt to see small flat rate vanish. What a cluster....

Well a trip to the post office was interesting to say the least ! These folks have been at this branch for at least 10+ years, they had no training about this change. The clerks held up a mailer of mine up to each other to ask what method it would ship. Stating "It's borderline" :rolleyes:

The catch here is the bubble mailer. They were provided a plastic template that is used to measure the thickness by passing it through a slot. Bubble mailers will NOT pass through this (plastic slot) even with a micro coin.

A 1 OZ Bubble mailer with a micro coin cost cost me 80 cents (first OZ) as a First Class Large envelope, reason it exceeded 1/4 in. A 2 OZ Bubble mailer was 97 cents same method of delivery. First Class large package rate.

A possible solution is using cardboard photo mailers. At a supermarket today they were 3 for a buck. a extra 12-15 cents on a mailer (unless found in bulk) Or fall into another class of postage.

The photo mailers are very robust in strenth, they will fit through the template under 1/4 inch, with a 3.5 MM Geocoin and be delivered at the First Class Letter rate of 41 cents per first OZ and additional 17 cents per OZ.

2 OZ Letter rate of 58 Cents, verse 97 cents for a bubble mailer same weight.

This would only be good for 1-2 coin trades , 2 coins side by side in a photo mailer. What are your thoughts on this ?

EDIT to add, up to 3.5 OZ for LETTER rate

The largest increase Domestic was in Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes, They are no longer 4.05 to mail 2-3 days they jumped to $9.15 , While the Priority Flat rate Envelopes went from $4.05 to $4.60. add D/C for 65 cents at P/O. Electronic rate is far less.

Edited by glennk721

I presume that they would be non-machinable and would be subject to the 17¢ surcharge if they were under an ounce (which presumes that the surcharge only applies to packages under an ounce).

Edit: I just checked the PO online calculator and it did add 17¢ for the non-machinable mail (rigid envelope). The photo mailer might save some change - depending on your relative costs of mailers.

Edited by tokencollector

According to the P/O workers if a mailer was less then 1/4 in it would be in the class for Letter Rate, Then again they are on this learning curve as well LOL,, Did not ask about rigid mailers , saw them after I was at the P/O

Bubble mailers at Wallymart are 3.50 for 10, since I don't buy in bulk .35 cents

These mailers Mailers Just for example would be just about the same even in bulk , 200 for $48.00 = .24 cents, not including shipping. about the same cost as the mailers I buy now once shipped.

The real test will be taking one to the P/O and see if it flyies as letter rate. The savings would be in actual postage . Will update my results after next trip to the P/O in a day or so to be continued as I picked up a pack of 3 Photo Mailers, Going to take one to the P/O with a single coin to how they classify them.

Edited by glennk721

The P.O. also doesn't like square packages (ala the 6" x 6") in the example. The minimum square is 5" x 5" and I seem to recall that square envelopes may get hit with the non-machinable surchare as well. You may wnat to double check on that though - I may be wrong. The postage calculator on the website describes what is/isn't a letter pretty well and also what items are subject to the non-machinable surcharge. (To get the info, I think you have to select the info link by the selections.)

Ok...question.

We tried our our postal scale and envelopes with our sample coins just to get an idea of what we're looking at for shipping costs.

Coin mailers are being considered large envelopes because they are more than 1/4 inch, right?

What about the minimum dimensions listed on the usps.gov site??

Large Envelope

Dimension Minimum Maximum

Height 11-1/2 inches 15 inches

Length 6-1/8 inches 12 inches

Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch

None of the coin mailers are 11.5 inches x 6.125. Is this disregarded?

Ok...question.

We tried our our postal scale and envelopes with our sample coins just to get an idea of what we're looking at for shipping costs.

Coin mailers are being considered large envelopes because they are more than 1/4 inch, right?

Large Envelope

you don't have to fulfill all the requirements as long as it fits one of the dimensions. for example, a #000 mailer is 4"X8", but if you fit 1 or 2 coins in, it will be between 1/4" to 3/4" in thickness, hence consdiered a large envelope.

small padded envelope + 1 coin (2oz) to Canada: $1.00 (was $0.90, i think)

Oh that's the funny part... I'm pretty sure in some cases sending to Canada is now cheaper than sending domestic!

What you get in the US is Delivery Confirmation. You dont get that for Canada.

Today i mailed my first padded envelope. 1 coin and 3 oz. They said it didn't qualify as a large envelope so had to go package rate for $1.47. She just eyeballed it to decide that. I think maybe I will try another post office to see if they do the same thing.

Today i mailed my first padded envelope. 1 coin and 3 oz. They said it didn't qualify as a large envelope so had to go package rate for $1.47. She just eyeballed it to decide that. I think maybe I will try another post office to see if they do the same thing.

Hmmm, do you know how she determined that? Was it the thickness??

I'm heading to the post office tomorrow to see what they have to say about mailing our personals.

Hmmm, do you know how she determined that? Was it the thickness??

I'm heading to the post office tomorrow to see what they have to say about mailing our personals.

Probably the thickness but I swear it wasn't 3/4 inch thick. She used her thumb and first finger to judge! LOL I even asked if it qulaified as large envelope!

I used a 6x9 mailer with one coin wrapped in card stock. She did try to bend it and shake it too--didn't rattle LOL

Ok...question.

Large Envelope

Marky, as long as you're not using delivery confirmation or insurance, your coin mailers can ship at the large envelope rate. They only have to go package if they're using either of these services or are fatter than 3/4". Hope this helps.

Mailed a few packages today and found out that any padded envelope is considered a parcel so:

Shipping to Tennesse cost me: $1.28

Shipping to California: $1.48

Shipping to Canada: $1.00 :laughing:

Shipping to Netherlands: $2.20

Shipping to Germany: $3.90 :anitongue:

So the domestics certainly cost me more than before! :laughing:

Mailed a few packages today and found out that any padded envelope is considered a parcel so:

Shipping to Tennesse cost me: $1.28

Shipping to California: $1.48

Shipping to Canada: $1.00 :laughing:

Shipping to Netherlands: $2.20

Shipping to Germany: $3.90 :anitongue:

So the domestics certainly cost me more than before! :laughing:

there's a difference in domesteic rate???

From reading all these stories it appears that the post offices aren't trained well on what is a Flat (Large Envelope) and what is a parcel.

I've been doing all mine as Flats. I guess I'll know over the next few days if any come back.

If each different post office uses different standards this is going to be a nightmare. B)

You would think such a big operation would have had this more well thought out. It's kind of like they were thinking, "Well, we won't get many packages, we are only the post office after all." :D

From reading all these stories it appears that the post offices aren't trained well on what is a Flat (Large Envelope) and what is a parcel.

I've been doing all mine as Flats. I guess I'll know over the next few days if any come back.

If each different post office uses different standards this is going to be a nightmare. B)

You would think such a big operation would have had this more well thought out. It's kind of like they were thinking, "Well, we won't get many packages, we are only the post office after all." :D

They have a 10 page little brochure/booklet for consumers. The only problem I've noted is that the wording in the booklet for large envelope should read over 1/4" or under 3/4". Currently it says up to 3/4" and that's incorrect with the way their system software is written/executes.

If you're not putting delivery confirmation or insurance on your mailers Eric, then large envelope is correct. But using either of these services OR if the mailer is larger than 3/4" thick, puts the mailer at the package rate.

And yes, I agree, the postal employees are not as well trained in this stuff as they should be. I do know there were training seminars here for the metro area postal clerks, but it sounds like that training wasn't available everywhere from what I have read here. Then again, how much can one person comprehend from a 1-day training session?

You would think such a big operation would have had this more well thought out. It's kind of like they were thinking, "Well, we won't get many packages, we are only the post office after all." B)

They have a 10 page little brochure/booklet for consumers. The only problem I've noted is that the wording in the booklet for large envelope should read over 1/4" or under 3/4". Currently it says up to 3/4" and that's incorrect with the way their system software is written/executes.

If you're not putting delivery confirmation or insurance on your mailers Eric, then large envelope is correct. But using either of these services OR if the mailer is larger than 3/4" thick, puts the mailer at the package rate.

And yes, I agree, the postal employees are not as well trained in this stuff as they should be. I do know there were training seminars here for the metro area postal clerks, but it sounds like that training wasn't available everywhere from what I have read here. Then again, how much can one person comprehend from a 1-day training session?

From the post several back you would think an operation like the post office would have more accurate equipment than the "thumb and forefinger" and "jiggle the package" test. :D

Results of my first foray with new postage guidelines...

Germany 2.90 oz went First Class Int'l for $2.70

Great Britain 5.00 oz also First Clas Int'l for $4.50

Michigan 4.00 oz First Class Parcel $1.64

My Postal Service employee wouldn't even consider envelope for the Michigan coins even though it was less than 3/4 because he said his goal was to get it there the fastest cheapest way possible. He's always been right before!! And this change is making him majorly cranky... :P

My post lady said padded envelopes all go at the package rate, since they are thicker than 1/4, and don't meet the guidelines for large envelope (ie not big enough).

they're not big enough length-wise but they are thick enough to qualify for large envelope.

what annoys me is the inconsistency of all the POs. they need to find a uniform regulation. I don't care of they're considered all large envelopes or all packages. Just make is one way or the otehr!

My post lady said padded envelopes all go at the package rate, since they are thicker than 1/4, and don't meet the guidelines for large envelope (ie not big enough).

Don't worry :) I got the same junk statement at my P.O. today, and paid the extra rate :P My only complaint is inconsistency. I've been to the P.O. three times this week, with three different rates and stories why . . .

I talked to the guy at the little post office I deal with.

(I do all my orders pre-labled so I'll have to see if they come back)

He was saying the biggest problem is lack of training. They haven't trained the post office employees on what is what.

If one offfice is saying something is a flat and another one is saying the same package is a parcel the post office is going to be in for a lot of BAD PR if a bunch of businesses all start getting their packages back.

How long would it take before a reporter somewhere takes the same package to three different post offices and gets three different rates. I think once that story breaks then there will be some consistency among the rates.

So, I guess the cheapest solution (and, based on cost, the one prefered by the postal system) is to place a 000 mailer in a large envelope, then paste 97 1¢ stamps on it.

[rant] I've been very frustrated with the PO since I got ripped off on an insurance claim (I had to turn in the items that I did receive to make the claim then the claim was denied and I ended up with nada). I doubt that privatization is the answer, but something has to give! Unfortunately, I doubt that doubling the cost of my most frequent type of mailing will lead to any improvement in the service which which has gotten much slower in the last couple of years.[/rant]

I talked to the guy at the little post office I deal with.

(I do all my orders pre-labled so I'll have to see if they come back)

He was saying the biggest problem is lack of training. They haven't trained the post office employees on what is what.

If one offfice is saying something is a flat and another one is saying the same package is a parcel the post office is going to be in for a lot of BAD PR if a bunch of businesses all start getting their packages back.

How long would it take before a reporter somewhere takes the same package to three different post offices and gets three different rates. I think once that story breaks then there will be some consistency among the rates.

"Tonight on Nancy Grace... see what we found out about the safety arrival of YOUR packages. The inconsistencies across the country. And what the United States Parcel Services DIDN'T tell YOU!"

"Tonight on Nancy Grace... see what we found out about the safety arrival of YOUR packages. The inconsistencies across the country. And what the United States Parcel Services DIDN'T tell YOU!"

:P

Today, 4.3 oz to Germany went for $4.50 and 3.7 oz to Mass. was $2.39 (with d/c). So extra ounces domestically are not that bad.

Well, I had a good experience.

We tested two of our coins and I also mailed one coin (2 oz) to Canada. The coin to Canada was $1.00. Our coins are just about a HAIR too thick for the letter rate. The guy used their special "tool" with the 1/4 inch slot, and he could ALMOST get it through, but not quite.

He told me they would all be large envelopes though, not packages. So, it was a helpful experience...as long as I continue to mail coins at that post office!

We tested two of our coins and I also mailed one coin (2 oz) to Canada. The coin to Canada was $1.00. Our coins are just about a HAIR too thick for the letter rate. The guy used their special "tool" with the 1/4 inch slot, and he could ALMOST get it through, but not quite.

He told me they would all be large envelopes though, not packages. So, it was a helpful experience...as long as I continue to mail coins at that post office!

mailing to canada and international do not matter, I believe, since the only thing that really count is weight. It is the domestic mailing that is troublesome

I went to two different post offices today and both said that ANY padded mailer is atuomatically a package. The funny thing is that since the rates changed I have received four and ALL of them were sent through the post office with the large envelope rate!!!

I went to two different post offices today and both said that ANY padded mailer is atuomatically a package. The funny thing is that since the rates changed I have received four and ALL of them were sent through the post office with the large envelope rate!!!

I think the quesiton is.... once you have paid for the package at the post office... do they just process it regardless, or do they do more checking once it is in the distribution center.... because otehrwise, I will find a PO that consider padded mailer large envelope and send all my packages through them.

mailing to canada and international do not matter, I believe, since the only thing that really count is weight. It is the domestic mailing that is troublesome

Ooops...clarification--we tested our coins for domestic mail. Our coins in our envelopes were just a little too big for letters, so he said they'd ship as a large envelope.

Ooops...clarification--we tested our coins for domestic mail. Our coins in our envelopes were just a little too big for letters, so he said they'd ship as a large envelope.

Were you using padded mailers so th tear proof flat ones?

No, these aren't bubble mailers.

We have the poly mailers that are not bubble. We have our own padding inside with the coins wrapped in paper and taped down--its actually the foam padding stuff from furniture. It's big sheets of wrapping foam. (Like all my technical terms). The envelopes are flatter than the padded envelopes, but not too much.

Here's the information I got from my postmaster yesterday...

It is a LETTER if it is:

- 11 1/2 inches in length

- 6 1/8 inches in height

- 1/4 of an inch thick

- weighs not more than 3.5 ounces

If it meets ALL that criteria AND is:

- Rigid

- Contains keys, COINS, pens etc

- Delivery address is not parallel to the longest side

- Has clasps, strings, buttons, etc.

- Aspect ratio by address orientation (what ever that means)

- Enclosed in Plstic Material

Then it is subject to a 17 cents surcharge and is considered "non machinable"

If a LETTER exceeds any ONE of the above dimentions then it is considered a LARGE ENVELOPE.

The maximum dimentions for a LARGE ENVELOPE is:

- 15 inches in length

- 12 inches in height

- 3/4 inches in thickness

If it meets ALL that criteria AND is:

- Rigid

- Not rectangluar (squares are rectanangluar)

- Not uniform in thickness (1/4 inch variation in thickness is allowed)

Then it is subject to the nonmachinable and considered a PACKAGE.

If a LARGE ENVELOPE exceeds any of the dimensions above it is considered a PACKAGE.

A PACKAGE is considered a PACKAGE if it's length plus girth combined is 108 inches or less.

:) And this comes right off the printed USPS cheat sheet that my post master has at her counter.