Postage is going up...

Shop99er

Postage is going up mid May and just about everything is changing. I've been working with my local postmaster to try to figure out how much it's going to cost to mail coins now and here's what we've figured out...more or less....your mileage may vary....based on average 2 inch coin....

One coin, brown paper padded mailer, with Delivery Confirmation was $1.23. New rate will be about $2.05.

Two coins, brown paper padded mailer with Delivery Confirmation was $1.71. New rate will be about $2.39.

*gulp* :lol:

Other increases according to the New Shipping and Mailing Option chart from the Postal Service:

First Class mail $.41 (figured at one ounce)

$.17 for each additional ounce

Priority not over 1 pound will be $4.60

Priority Flat Rate Box will be $9.15

Money Orders up to $500 will be $1.05

Delivery Confirmation First Class (retail) will be $.75

Delivery Confirmation First Class (electronic) will be $.18

Delivery Confirmation Priority (retail) will be $.65

Delivery Confirmation Priority (electronic) will remain free

Insurance up to $50 of value will be $1.65

Insurance value between $50.01 and $100 will be $2.05

Good, maybe it will slow things down and more thought will go into the coins being made. Also maybe it will get rid of so many trackable ones. Trackable is so over rated and the only ones getting rich off of trackable coins is GC.com

Edited by 501_Gang

Yep, USPS is changing things and going to a more dimension based charge - no longer is weight the only factor. :laughing:

Currently you can mail a 4 page letter for 0.39, under the new guidelines, if you dont fold it real crisp and it fluffs up the envelope, it will go at a higher rate just because it is a thicker envelope!!!

So our padded mailers will cost more, especially if we wrap the coins inside in bubble wrap!

The trick will be to keep everything as FLAT as possible. :lol:

Yep, USPS is changing things and going to a more dimension based charge - no longer is weight the only factor. :huh:

Currently you can mail a 4 page letter for 0.39, under the new guidelines, if you dont fold it real crisp and it fluffs up the envelope, it will go at a higher rate just because it is a thicker envelope!!!

So our padded mailers will cost more, especially if we wrap the coins inside in bubble wrap!

The trick will be to keep everything as FLAT as possible. ;)

Should get a steam roller?

It really is not as bad as it seems....I think that for most coin shipments we will be actually paying less at the PO. Here is why I say that:

2 oz coin package

(most single coin packages of mine weigh this)

Right Now: 63 cents

After mid-May: 58 cents

3 oz coin package

(other single coin packages of mine weigh this)

Right Now: 87 cents

After mid-May: 75 cents

The point that is becomes an increase is 4 oz and higher:

4 oz coin package

Right Now: $1.11

After mid-May: $1.31

5 oz coin package

Right Now: $1.35

After mid-May: $1.48

Even at the higher rates this is cheap. Where else can you get a letter to the other side of the US in 2-3 days for 41 cents. For coins try looking at the rates of UPS, FedEx, and DHL. Not to mention they don't even deliver all their own packages.

The USPS have an agrrement with DHL to deliver X number of packages to the door for them in exhange for flying X number of packages in their plans. The letter carriers bring them to your door!

It really is not as bad as it seems....I think that for most coin shipments we will be actually paying less at the PO. Here is why I say that:

2 oz coin package

(most single coin packages of mine weigh this)

Right Now: 63 cents

After mid-May: 58 cents

3 oz coin package

(other single coin packages of mine weigh this)

Right Now: 87 cents

After mid-May: 75 cents

Edited again:

When I first read the new rates, I assumed that padded mailer would have to pay the flats rate - so a single coin weighing 2 oz coin will cost 97¢ instead of 58¢.

Whether they will ship as flats (I still suspect that this will end up being the case) or letters is now unclear to me based on what I have read tonight. So, the rate for a coin or 2 could go down, or up depending oh how the package is classified. If the PO institutes the non-machinable surcharge for all letter rate (up to 3.5 oz) packages, the price will go back up again with the 17¢ surcharge.

Edited by tokencollector

The trick will be to keep everything as FLAT as possible. ;)

I wonder if that means to get delivery confirmation the package no longer has to be at least 0.75-inches thick? :D

According to my postmaster the thickness remains the same for Delivery Confirmation tp be added.

My big concern is that people, trying to keep the cost lower for shipping, will not mail in padded mailers and opt for mailing without padding in simple envelopes. :huh: YIKES!!

Edited by Shop99er

Should have no impact on us overseas buyers......a fair percentage of the sellers (not all) charge way too much for postage anyway, even taking into account packaging. :huh:

It would be nice to see more sellers charging closer to the postage rates listed, especially on multiple geocoin purchases ;)

mm

Should have no impact on us overseas buyers......a fair percentage of the sellers (not all) charge way too much for postage anyway, even taking into account packaging. ;)

It would be nice to see more sellers charging closer to the postage rates listed, especially on multiple geocoin purchases :huh:

mm

I charge postage plus $0.50 for the envelope. This is because shipping overseas costs me postage plus $0.50 for the envelope. That works out to around $4.00 for a single geocoin. So if you're getting a package from Canada and you're paying more than about $4.25 in shipping for a single coin, the seller is hosing you. On multiple geocoins it's a bit hard because ebay, for example, has a per-item charge thingy when you list shipping... unfortunately postage seldom goes up "per item", so it always ends up that you're hosing someone a little bit. When i was flogging my coins on eBay I weighed packages up to 15 coins and used the numbers to calculate what the "per item" shipping additional charge was, but that either meant *I* got ripped at some numbers of purchase or the customer got ripped. So the real shipping on 1 coin or 2 is about the same, but 3 nearly doubled the price... there's no way to do that in eBay. There is on a Paypal store though, so people who bought coins on my web site got very fair and accurate shipping charges. On ebay they got "best I can do".

Limitations of the ebay listing system aside, eBay sellers are terrible for overstating postage, even though doing so is a reportable offence. The reason people jack shipping on ebay is because shipping charges aren't subject to ebay's fees. So if I sell you a $1 item with $25 shipping charges, I keep more money than if I sell you a $25 item with a $1 shipping charge. It's against the ebay terms of use, though, so if you catch someone doing it, you can report them and they should end up in whatever fecal matter ebay bestows upon its miscreants.

Personally, I've taken it up with a number of sellers (of more than just geocoins) and will pay appropriate postage or courier fees, but won't pay $6, for example, to ship a single geocoin to Canada. That's crap. No negative feedback yet, but the first time someone does I'll be going straight to ebay to complain.

Edited by geoSquid

It always seems to come up with what is reasonable to charge for shipping. One thing to consider in this cost is also the paypal fees which are 0.30 plus 2.9% US and 3.9% others.

Below is a chart I have put together on what I have come up with for total purchase price of an $8 coin assuming all coins are shipped as flats with the first coin being 2oz and each additional coin adding 1oz. This chart is for shipping from the US and is an estimate based on the new USPS costs.

postage.jpg

Team Sand Dollar

The trick will be to keep everything as FLAT as possible. :wub:

I wonder if that means to get delivery confirmation the package no longer has to be at least 0.75-inches thick? :D

According to my postmaster the thickness remains the same for Delivery Confirmation tp be added.

My big concern is that people, trying to keep the cost lower for shipping, will not mail in padded mailers and opt for mailing without padding in simple envelopes. :wub: YIKES!!

I bought a micro geocoin off the e place the other day, and the seller mailed it to me in a regular envelope with a 39 cent stamp on it. I do have to say the envelope felt like paper, but I could NOT tear it open, had to use scissors. I know I paid the seller between 1.50 & 2.00 for shipping :wub:

I've been trading pathtags, they are a bit smaller than a micro coin, and these go thru the mail just fine in a regular envelope (with a 39 cent stamp) as long as they are well secured in the envelope and not loose. They will tear thru the little plastic bag they come in if not.

I'm pretty sure that people won't get away with mailing the bigger coins in anything except a padded envelope. I had the postlady question me about the pathtags when I went in to mail one to Canada. She gave me a little lecture that those should be in padded mailers also.... :wub:

Why cant the government leave anything alone for more than a year or two... i know i know its the government

Sell Gas to the post office for less and I'm sure they can hold the line.

they should switch to hybrid or plain electric cars

The Feds mandate that some agencies use Flexible Fuel Vehicles. I don't know if the post office is one of them. However it would not suprise me if they were.

Here's a catch 22. Those vehicles get worse MPG than Straight Gas. They only make sence when you can get E85 which does sell for less (due to subsidies which may save the post office money but would cost the feds more overall due to the subsidy).

Hybrids and Elecric would make sence if the fuel savings and the FFV rules were supporting.

Why cant the government leave anything alone for more than a year or two... i know i know its the government

Sell Gas to the post office for less and I'm sure they can hold the line.

they should switch to hybrid or plain electric cars

The Feds mandate that some agencies use Flexible Fuel Vehicles. I don't know if the post office is one of them. However it would not suprise me if they were.

Here's a catch 22. Those vehicles get worse MPG than Straight Gas. They only make sence when you can get E85 which does sell for less (due to subsidies which may save the post office money but would cost the feds more overall due to the subsidy).

Hybrids and Elecric would make sence if the fuel savings and the FFV rules were supporting.

Our LLV's, the common mailtruck you see with the right side drive, uses unleaded fuel. Gas isn't that big of an issue to us though. As a city carrier, I might drive a total of 11 miles or so in a ten hour day. I walk about 8 miles in the same timeframe.

Don't worry though. they are trying to save money, which might cut costs, by out sourcing mail delivery to contractors. It would eliminate the mailman as you know now. They would then put cities and stations up for bid. You could have a different person everyday and a different company every year. They have some places that have been outsourced in AZ and FLA already. They have had a huge increase in idenity theft, lost or stolen mail. The ads you get 3 times a week( in our area) were too heavy so alot of these outsourced carriers were just taking them home and throwing them away. So don't worry. The management of the USPS has your best interests at heart, if not in their minds! :huh:

....Don't worry though. they are trying to save money, which might cut costs, by out sourcing mail delivery to contractors. It would eliminate the mailman as you know now. They would then put cities and stations up for bid. You could have a different person everyday and a different company every year. They have some places that have been outsourced in AZ and FLA already. They have had a huge increase in idenity theft, lost or stolen mail. The ads you get 3 times a week( in our area) were too heavy so alot of these outsourced carriers were just taking them home and throwing them away. So don't worry. The management of the USPS has your best interests at heart, if not in their minds! :huh:

The US Government has become too big of a fan out outsourcing government functions. Every time I deal with a "Privatized" vendor it's annoying.

Private industry is great for making mp3 players, TV's and the like. Not so great at doing government functions. Business has a 90% failure rate. The government has no such luxery.

....Don't worry though. they are trying to save money, which might cut costs, by out sourcing mail delivery to contractors. It would eliminate the mailman as you know now. They would then put cities and stations up for bid. You could have a different person everyday and a different company every year. They have some places that have been outsourced in AZ and FLA already. They have had a huge increase in idenity theft, lost or stolen mail. The ads you get 3 times a week( in our area) were too heavy so alot of these outsourced carriers were just taking them home and throwing them away. So don't worry. The management of the USPS has your best interests at heart, if not in their minds! :huh:

The US Government has become too big of a fan out outsourcing government functions. Every time I deal with a "Privatized" vendor it's annoying.

Private industry is great for making mp3 players, TV's and the like. Not so great at doing government functions. Business has a 90% failure rate. The government has no such luxery.

This isn't the government doing it. We are actually of the opinion that the Senate will actual not allow this to happen. The post office does not receive any government monies, although we are federal employees. The USPS is independantly run. We have been without a contract since last November. We can to terms on all items in the contract except the idea of allowing them to out source the carrier jobs. If we allowed that there would be no reason for a contract snce it would virtually eliminate all our jobs. I think most people would be of the opinion that they would not like to see an outsourced mail force regardless of their opinion about unions. There is a protest on Monday at the USPS headquarters in DC. We are entering into binding arbitration with them. Hopefully the government officials will step in and not allow this to be outsourced. I believe that there will be enough of an uprising over this to cause most politicians to realize there is nothing to gain by doing it. that is the main way to get them to vote on anything. Here's a bulletin that came down about it. WWW.NALC.ORG

*Sorry if this has strayed from the original topic, but this will affect every piece of mail, not just coins.

[This isn't the government doing it. We are actually of the opinion that the Senate will actual not allow this to happen.

I have a numer of beefs with the P.O., but absolutely none with our local carrier. He is one part of the system that works consistently well. Unfortunately congress may not be able to help, since the PO is part of the executive branch of the government. Good luck!

Our local letter carrier sucks. SHe never delivers packages to the door in spite of them being paid for to be delivered to the door so I always have to go to the PO to pick stuff up and wait in line for 20 minutes during the middle of the work day. I frequently get someone else's mail and likewise they get mine. It has allowed me to meet all my neighbors. The only justice is we left her some McDonald's gift certificates in the outgoing slot of the community mailbox and she did not check it until February and then did come to our door to thank us. It had sat in there for two months! We just smiled and told her happy Valentines Day. :huh:

[This isn't the government doing it. We are actually of the opinion that the Senate will actual not allow this to happen.

I have a numer of beefs with the P.O., but absolutely none with our local carrier. He is one part of the system that works consistently well. Unfortunately congress may not be able to help, since the PO is part of the executive branch of the government. Good luck!

They have the ability to pass legislation reforming and changing the way the PO runs. They just signed one of the biggest pieces of legislation a few months ago defining aspects of the PO and such. They are the best shot at protecting the way you get your mail today.

As with any group, you will have bad apples. I would like to think that most people are happy with their service. When you consider the number of letters that make it to where they are suppose to that ar misaddressed or have no house number at all, it is the carrier who does it. We do make misatakes the same as anyone else does, but when you consider we are delivering a couple thousand letters a day, and we might misdeliver a handful, mainly because of the rush the managment has on us, we aren't doing too bad. As far as some carriers not delivers things to the door and such, there is no excuse for that. We have lazy people in our office who don't care as well. We hate it as much as you because it gives us all the bad reputation, and usually creates more works for the rest of us.

Call your Senators and tell them you don't want to see the PO out sourced. If they can't do this, then they will continue to have a safe and professional delivery service which makes them more money. If they are making money they can not raise the rates. They have to justify the rate increase, not just do whatever they want. As it stands they can increase it every so often, with (i think) 30 days notice.

They have the ability to pass legislation reforming and changing the way the PO runs. They just signed one of the biggest pieces of legislation a few months ago defining aspects of the PO and such. They are the best shot at protecting the way you get your mail today.

As with any group, you will have bad apples. I would like to think that most people are happy with their service. When you consider the number of letters that make it to where they are suppose to that ar misaddressed or have no house number at all, it is the carrier who does it. We do make misatakes the same as anyone else does, but when you consider we are delivering a couple thousand letters a day, and we might misdeliver a handful, mainly because of the rush the managment has on us, we aren't doing too bad. As far as some carriers not delivers things to the door and such, there is no excuse for that. We have lazy people in our office who don't care as well. We hate it as much as you because it gives us all the bad reputation, and usually creates more works for the rest of us.

Call your Senators and tell them you don't want to see the PO out sourced. If they can't do this, then they will continue to have a safe and professional delivery service which makes them more money. If they are making money they can not raise the rates. They have to justify the rate increase, not just do whatever they want. As it stands they can increase it every so often, with (i think) 30 days notice.

I have very little good to say about the PO.

They refuse to deliver mail to some of our boxes because they say our boxes are too old and we have to spend $8000 to get these new boxes that are on stands. and if mail isn't picked up within 3 days they will send it back. they also threatened to charge some residents $300 to hold mail for them, or they had to buy a PO box.

the carriers refuse to deliver packages, they just drop them off at the front office even though theres ALWAYS someone home at my house. and half the time ad's never show up.

They are never consistent, mail can be delivered anytime between noon and 7pm.

On the occasion I have to goto the PO to mail something, the line is at least 20 minutes long. In there infinit wisdom they got rid of the number system and went back to lines.

Now what I have good to say about the PO... the lobby is open 24/7 so i can get mail from my PO box any time.

Next, working in an industry that is heavily contracted out, and we are union, I'm not against it as long as its done correctly. IE managed correctly. I honestly cannot imagine service getting much worse.

ON topic..

We will just have to see how it all works out. we can speculate, but we will have to see how its determined by the genius' at the PO, whether or not they charge more for padded envelopes or not.

Bringing this back to the topic... has anyone figued out what the PO will charge for #000 bubble mailer? Would they be considered as large envelop or package?

last I spoke with some wonderful reps in PO, they still have the "learn as it goes" mentaity (and these guys are very good at what they do...) I have had a couple of conversations with individuals on this dicusssion and wonder what everyone thinks.

The date is approaching and it would be nice to find out!

Bringing this back to the topic... has anyone figued out what the PO will charge for #000 bubble mailer? Would they be considered as large envelop or package?

It should go as a flat. I was told if I keep my mailers at 3/4" or less, they'll ship as a flat.

Hmmm, so to ship a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation they'll have to be exactly 0.75-inches thick? I wonder what the tolerances are on measuring that 0.75-inches.

I find the minimum 0.75-inch thickness requirement for delivery confirmation annoying, but I can understand the reasoning for it.

I find the minimum 0.75-inch thickness requirement for delivery confirmation annoying, but I can understand the reasoning for it.

What is the reasoning for it?! The PO routinely tracks thinner packages (registered, certified, insured, recorded delivery). I see little reason for not being able to scan an envelope for delivery confirmation - other than to protect the profits on other types of recorded mail.

Fot that matter, with the automated equipment at the PO, it is lame that they can only record delivery (eventually) rather than track the shipment as private couriers do.

It should go as a flat. I was told if I keep my mailers at 3/4" or less, they'll ship as a flat.

Isn't a #000 mailer automatically considered thicker than 3/4"? also, if you put a coin in bubble mailer, they would certinaly be thicker than 3/4"

Isn't a #000 mailer automatically considered thicker than 3/4"? also, if you put a coin in bubble mailer, they would certinaly be thicker than 3/4"

No, those mailers are about 1/4" thick, with a coin they stay the same to 1/2", depending on the coin. When you bubble wrap a non-micro coin it takes it to exactly 3/4" thickness --- at least based on my experience.

Some more news... international looks like its gonna change in some big ways.

Priority flat only lists large envelopes at $11. It appears that small envelopes (a very common shipping method) is going away. That said, flat rate BOXES are coming! But they are $37!

For the 6oz+ packages, first class appears to be the only real option, and that can run about 2x the previous small envelope rate.

So international folks are about to get shafted. Unless small envelopes are still going to be here, but just weren't listed.

Edit: Yup - small international envelopes are vanishing. From USPS: Regarding the small flat-rate envelope

for Global Priority Mail, as part of our product simplification and to more closely align domestic and international products, we will offer only one flat-rate envelope for Priority Mail International, using the same packaging as domestic Priority Mail. All items previously mailable in the Global Priority flat-rate envelope can be mailed in the new Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope.

Here's a good presentation on the rate change: http://www.mailing.duq.edu/mailing/USPSRateIncrease.ppt

Edited by crake

Priority flat only lists large envelopes at $11. It appears that small envelopes (a very common shipping method) is going away. That said, flat rate BOXES are coming! But they are $37!

For the 6oz+ packages, first class appears to be the only real option, and that can run about 2x the previous small envelope rate.

So international folks are about to get shafted. Unless small envelopes are still going to be here, but just weren't listed.

Edit: Yup - small international envelopes are vanishing. From USPS: Regarding the small flat-rate envelope

for Global Priority Mail, as part of our product simplification and to more closely align domestic and international products, we will offer only one flat-rate envelope for Priority Mail International, using the same packaging as domestic Priority Mail. All items previously mailable in the Global Priority flat-rate envelope can be mailed in the new Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope.

Here's a good presentation on the rate change: http://www.mailing.duq.edu/mailing/USPSRateIncrease.ppt

O U C H

Not that the shock of postage charges is anything new to we "foreigners", this is going too far. :laughing:

I can see a nice little earner for someone in the US:

Offer to collect overseas orders for geocoins from all US suppliers until you have enough to fill the $11 envelope or $37 box and then send them on their way.

For a small fee of course :laughing:

Oh How Lovely...

No, those mailers are about 1/4" thick, with a coin they stay the same to 1/2", depending on the coin. When you bubble wrap a non-micro coin it takes it to exactly 3/4" thickness --- at least based on my experience.

intersting.... well I guess I never had to pay attention to that since I bubble wrap my coins... and THEN put them in bubble mailer.... now seems like I need to find a better alternative....

*GRUNT*

How about that idea but kinda a little different. What if we find one nice person in each international area, ie... Canada, Europe, Aussie, and ship all the small packages to them for that area in a large priorty mailer or box if need be and, give them postage from one spot in area to the other addreses and a little bonus. It might make it possible to keep over-all international costs down. $11 to ship one coin is going to get old real fast. Any other international ideas?

Edited by T"n"T

I had a somewhat unexpected experience at the PO counter today. My 4 oz package with two geocoins in it cost $1.31 to send as a large envelope [that I expected]. The bubble mailer with one coin in it (2 oz) sent or 58¢ ad a first class letter - I was expecting that one to cost 97¢ as a large envelope. I hope the recipient doesn't get hit with a postage due at the other end.

I had a somewhat unexpected experience at the PO counter today. My 4 oz package with two geocoins in it cost $1.31 to send as a large envelope [that I expected]. The bubble mailer with one coin in it (2 oz) sent or 58¢ ad a first class letter - I was expecting that one to cost 97¢ as a large envelope. I hope the recipient doesn't get hit with a postage due at the other end.

If the bubble mailer is more than 1/4" (and less than 3/4"), it will be considered as large envelope.

I would imagine the PO will be pretty forgiving in the first few days as they have created a fairly confusing system (I mean.... it made headline on cnn.com for crying out loud).

Not that the shock of postage charges is anything new to we "foreigners", this is going too far. :)

I can see a nice little earner for someone in the US:

Offer to collect overseas orders for geocoins from all US suppliers until you have enough to fill the $11 envelope or $37 box and then send them on their way.

For a small fee of course :ph34r:

Well that sounds like an interesting idea. After things calm down a bit I might be interested in doing that.

If the bubble mailer is more than 1/4" (and less than 3/4"), it will be considered as large envelope.

I would imagine the PO will be pretty forgiving in the first few days as they have created a fairly confusing system (I mean.... it made headline on cnn.com for crying out loud).

I had two that weighed in at 58 cents, but they were automatically bumped up to large envelope because they were over 1/4" thick.

If you use any service like delivery confirmation or insurance, the item has to be mailed package rate, eventhough your shipment may meet all the criteria for the large envelope rate (mine did). The computer will not allow these services to be added to either letter or large envelope rate. I was told they will return mailers that are sent at the incorrect rate if these services are present.

Domestic shipping takes the biggest hit by far though $.63 to $.97 or $1.30 depending on thickness for just postage on a single coin in a bubble mailer. International to some locations is hardly different and to others it really increased. Makes it really difficult to offer a flat rate fee per coin for international now, IMO

WOW! Rates going up and DOUBLING is 2 different things..A bubble mailer that i normally mail directly through with paypal cost me $.77 normally with delivery confirmation. Now it has gone to $1.48 for the exact same thing. But checking usps.com the international rates seem similar.

Jayman11

OK Here's today's scoop:

On a single coin it used to be either $.63 or $.87 depending on weight. I mailed about 50 packages today and only felt about a $20 increase on the entire run. The smaller packages is where I felt the most crunch but when it came to 3 or 4 coins there was very little difference. As far as International there once again was not as big a difference as I had anticipated. My regular flat fees will not have to change at this point. However, the International may have to in time depending on the amount of coins inside. 1 to 3 coins remained fairly close to before but a larger order of 8 coins was shipped to the UK and it was very expensive...over $10.

Bottom line is I'd like to keep all of my personal shipping rates the same and at this point I think I can do this. More later.

WOW! Rates going up and DOUBLING is 2 different things..A bubble mailer that i normally mail directly through with paypal cost me $.77 normally with delivery confirmation. Now it has gone to $1.48 for the exact same thing. But checking usps.com the international rates seem similar.

Jayman11

That's cheaper than I paid today for a coin w/delivery confirmation. Mine went from $1.23 to $2.05. See my post above, but the postal computers wouldn't allow delivery confirmation to be added to large envelope rate like paypal and stamps.com seem to be allowing.

Jayman11

That's cheaper than I paid today for a coin w/delivery confirmation. Mine went from $1.23 to $2.05. See my post above, but the postal computers wouldn't allow delivery confirmation to be added to large envelope rate like paypal and stamps.com seem to be allowing.

so.... USPS will reject any packages with DC sent out as large envelopes?

thank god I sent out all my packages last night