Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
FlagFinder

want to get into ham

I take my ham test tommorow when i pass how long after can i start to transmit. I know i have to be in the database but how long will that take?

I take my ham test tommorow when i pass how long after can i start to transmit. I know i have to be in the database but how long will that take?

4 days when ugraded to general,,, KI6GRN

You should be able to lock your radio so you don't transmit by accident. Usually it is just a press of a couple buttons. If you hook up with another Ham, you could start talking on it right away, as long as they were with you according to the FCC. It usually does not take long to get the license though. Congrats on your new radio!

well today my tiny little radio came in the mail. Wow at least half the size i imagined. its a vx-2r and the previous owner kept it in tip top shape. by the way is it legal if i use the radio as a reciever until i get my license or does this break fcc rules.

You should be able to lock your radio so you don't transmit by accident. Usually it is just a press of a couple buttons. If you hook up with another Ham, you could start talking on it right away, as long as they were with you according to the FCC. It usually does not take long to get the license though. Congrats on your new radio!

Just got in the database! thanks to all for your help! :rolleyes: Andrew: KD0BEP

CONGRATULATIONS! It's an awesome felling when you get your call. Have fun, and hope to see you on the air sometime.

Edited by MileHighAko

How do you use a repeater? i am about 15 miles north of minneapolis. I can hear them but they cant hear me? the repeater near my house is down for repairs. with only 1.5 wats of power how far can i go to get a repeater? I tried loging into one and i couldnt hear them on the radio anymore but i could hear them on the scanner.

How do you use a repeater? i am about 15 miles north of minneapolis. I can hear them but they cant hear me? the repeater near my house is down for repairs. with only 1.5 wats of power how far can i go to get a repeater? I tried loging into one and i couldnt hear them on the radio anymore but i could hear them on the scanner.

Congratulations on passing your exam and getting your license.

It sounds like you practiced the questions and answers pretty well for the test, but now it is time to actually learn about the hobby and how to use it to your advantage.

Here is a link where you might start to look to learn about repeaters.

ARRL Repeater Info links

You'll want to learn about "repeater offsets", "CTCSS or Sub-audible tones (PL)" and more.

Depending on terrain (local to you, like inside a building or maybe on the rooftop), antenna, elevation of repeater, line of site path, you may or may not be able to get a good signal into that repeater that is 15 miles away from you. It all depends as there are many variables.

Oh, one more thing. One doesn't "log in" to a repeater. ;) "Logging in" is reserved for computers, like on the internet or perhaps a (now) antiquated packet radio BBS or the like.

73 and welcome to the hobby!

Ken KE6N