Question for Collectors

Rhaegar's Jewels

The coins I keep, I do NOT activate! That way if I ever need to sell them :lol: they will probably be easier to sell. That way if I ever want to trade them that is definitely what is expected. I do however get the activation code & load it on a spread sheet. It is much easier to track down the activation code when the coin first comes out. It can be very difficult to track down an activation code a year or 2 later. Welcome to the addiction!!

RUN LIKE HELL....never mind, probably too late :laughing:

I activate my coins because I like the icons and I share them with others as well, but some I get extras of for trading purposes!

Buy a binder, some coin pages and get ready to become a coin addict! I started out small and with a very minimal budget...less than a year later and I have 150 or more coins...sheesh!

Now, no time for more of these trivial questions, got to look at the newest coins!! :lol:

I rarely activate my coins. I collect them as reminders of either people or places I cached in...and there is the odd couple that I've gotten because I couldn't resist holding them.

Pretty much I don't because I'm too lazy and I lost interest in the icons, oddly enough, 'cuz lots of them are very cool.

I have some activated and some not. It's nice to have activated coins for people to discover (and that way you don't have to cover the tracking number at events for fear someone might activate it themselves), but it's also true if you might sell it some day it's more valuable unactivated.

I plan to activate more of my keepers, but haven't gotten around to it.

In the beginning I activated all my coins because I thought I was going to keep them all. Then the geocoin craze went over the top. I had to decide what I really wanted to collect because I could not keep up with all the new coins coming out. It is defiantly better not to activate a coin until you decide if you are keeping it in your own personal collection for keeps. Good luck on your new adventure into the GeoCoin Addiction! :lol:

I used to activate them when there were just a handful and it was fun to try and collect all the icons (just like cache icons like WebCam, APE caches, etc.).

Then, when there started to be a flood of coins I lost interest in the icons so I don't any longer.

I wouldn't recommend activating your collection unless you are into trading or sharing icons.

But do pull the activation codes or keep track where to find them if you don't. If you show your unactivated coins to strangers some people can copy their tracking #s and activate them away from you. But if you've already pulled the codes they can't (most codes can only be pulled once). You can still sell or trade the coin, just include the code with the coin so the new owner can choose to activate it if they want.

Create a database file (excel or something similar) for your coins, their tracking #s, activation codes (or where to get them), maybe who you bought them from and when. Once you have more that a few dozen coins it gets harder and harder to remember all that stuff. :lol:

Edited by Droo

If you show your unactivated coins to strangers some people can copy their tracking #s and activate them away from you.

Has this really been a problem?

I don't recall having heard of it actually happening, but it's one of those things that could happen even if it hasn't yet. And now that some coins have a common activation code it makes it a little easier to do if someone wanted to.

Whenever I buy coins, I always get 2 and activate them both. One of them gets put out in the wild and the other goes in the collection. I really like my collection and have no intention of selling them off so I have no problem with having them activated. I've only actually got a 3rd copy of 2 coins so they remain unactivated.

If you show your unactivated coins to strangers some people can copy their tracking #s and activate them away from you.

Has this really been a problem?

I don't recall having heard of it actually happening, but it's one of those things that could happen even if it hasn't yet. And now that some coins have a common activation code it makes it a little easier to do if someone wanted to.

If that's the case, they don't even need to see the coin... they can take random guesses at the coin id... then use the standardized activation. They don't even have to be in the same continent to steal your registration from you...

I would be more concerned about this if it became more than a mistyped registration key.