Needs Archived?

GeoCRAt

Hi,

I have always wondered whether "Needs Archived" should be changed to "Needs Archiving" or "Needs to be Archived"?

:blink:

Perhaps there are some English teachers out there that who could shed some light?

:unsure:

Thanks,

GeoCRAt.

Fixed. English teachers are people. Well, except for my ex-Mother in Law. She's a witch.

Anyhoo, it used to be "Should be Archived," which is a bit more pleasing to the grammar police. But at the time when "Needs Maintenance" was introduced, it was changed to "Needs Archived." It's shorthand, admittedly. But it's just an option on a dropdown menu. I don't lose sleep over it.

Yep. "Needs Archived" really is teh suq........

I spent 3.5 years as a MMORPG gamer. If you want to really cringe about people who "don't got no grammar" try doing that or reading the related forums. "Needs Archived" really isn't all that bad in comparison.

It's perfectly good West Virginian. The big boss at my work comes from there, and now we all say things like that ("needs fixed").

It's perfectly good Pittsburghese, too. People there often talk about how their car needs warshed while they're eating a chipchopped ham and drinking an Imp 'n' Arn at a restaurant dahntahn.

Bruce (English teacher)

Edited by LeoGeo

Yep. "Needs Archived" really is teh suq........

I spent 3.5 years as a MMORPG gamer. If you want to really cringe about people who "don't got no grammar" try doing that or reading the related forums. "Needs Archived" really isn't all that bad in comparison.

Makes me cringe to see kids communicate. Yet they do. Somehow. Right up until more is at stake than fluff.