Caching in Washington DC

My favorite virtual caches are down on the Lincoln Memorial side of the mall. There are several that you can walk to. If you have never been to the Lincoln Memorial, go. Not just for the smiley, but to stand in front of the statue of Lincoln. Then you turn around and look out over the best view of DC. There is another one nearby that I personally like as well, "So We Will Remember Them". Parking is tough in that area. For some good traditional caches, go just north of the White House about a half mile to a mile into the north metro DC area. It is also busy area, but there are some good urban hides.

Still, go to the Lincoln Memorial. You cannot go to DC and not go there. Go in the evening if you can.

4158fcbd-e0fd-4e55-9171-b5b36585b0d6.jpg

Photo by yours truly.

There's a Virtual right in front of the Aerospace Museum. I actually passed this one over in search of more difficult caches. As I understand it, there are several virtuals in this area. The two I found were Garfield Park and To Market, To Market...both very worthwhile finds. Good luck and have fun in the Capitol City! :unsure:

I'll second both Jhwk and Mtn-Man's recommendations.

The National Mall has many wonderful virtuals and the monuments themselves are incredible. I've been here for several years and still stand in awe of the monuments.

Awakening is a little bit out of the way... but you should really make time to visit. It's really an incredible location.

The one that I've been wanting to hit, but never seem to make it to is The Summer House near the Capitol.

There's a Virtual right in front of the Aerospace Museum. I actually passed this one over in search of more difficult caches. As I understand it, there are several virtuals in this area. The two I found were Garfield Park and To Market, To Market...both very worthwhile finds. Good luck and have fun in the Capitol City! :unsure:

To Market, To Market is great... but you really should go when the market is open. It makes it a bit more challenging because of all the people around, but the market itself is great and shouldn't be missed.

I will give a thumbs up to Summer House too. That one was great. The To Market cache was also a good one. Down by Summer House you get into the area where Lincoln was shot (Fords Theater) and Chinatown. That one is a very tough virtual cache. Jhwk's Awakening recommendation is down by the Lincoln Memorial side. I really did like that one.

No matter where you go, you will be awestruck.

:blink: Thank you all for your help. It was very cold and rainy while we were there, but we were able to do 8 including: I Can See Lincoln, The Other Unknowns, The Lone Sailor, The Summer House (my favorite), An Englishman in DC, and FDR Memorial. It made our trip that much more fun. Thanks again everyone for your help!

There's a Virtual right in front of the Aerospace Museum. I actually passed this one over in search of more difficult caches. As I understand it, there are several virtuals in this area. The two I found were Garfield Park and To Market, To Market...both very worthwhile finds. Good luck and have fun in the Capitol City! :laughing:

To Market, To Market is great... but you really should go when the market is open. It makes it a bit more challenging because of all the people around, but the market itself is great and shouldn't be missed.

We had a recent fire near this one. Is it still active?

I was in D.C. 2 years ago with my family. We drove up from VT and on the way we picked up a travelbug conviniently located on the highway. About halfway thru my stay in D.C. we decided to place it. We hit this really great cache located in a old African American cemetery. It was butiful, neat, and I never would have gone the if I had not been cacheing. The cache is GCB8A8. Its really cool, cache it out :blink:.

Scare Force One

Have Fun, Be Safe, Go Cache

Going on vacation next week in D.C. and was wondering if anyone knew of any easy to find caches there. We won't have a whole lot of time to do caching, but thought it would be fun to find one or two in a new place. Thanks for your help!!!

There is no Washington DC. Rather, the city known as "Washington DC" is a fictional enterprise, created by the REAL government to hoax the public, and there is a stage city located in the desert at Groom Lake Nevada, which serves as the stage for all the (hoaxed) photo and film footage shot of "Washington DC" for the media and for film, promotions, etc.

Going on vacation next week in D.C. and was wondering if anyone knew of any easy to find caches there. We won't have a whole lot of time to do caching, but thought it would be fun to find one or two in a new place. Thanks for your help!!!

There is no Washington DC. Rather, the city known as "Washington DC" is a fictional enterprise, created by the REAL government to hoax the public, and there is a stage city located in the desert at Groom Lake Nevada, which serves as the stage for all the (hoaxed) photo and film footage shot of "Washington DC" for the media and for film, promotions, etc.

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny - too much time in the lab lately?

:blink:

(You're not SUPPOSED to tell EVERYTHING you know!)

There's a Virtual right in front of the Aerospace Museum. I actually passed this one over in search of more difficult caches. As I understand it, there are several virtuals in this area. The two I found were Garfield Park and To Market, To Market...both very worthwhile finds. Good luck and have fun in the Capitol City! :blink:

We had a recent fire near this one. Is it still active?

According to the cache page it is still active... but it may not be accessible at certain times due to construction etc...