Paperless Caching ... Favorite PDA / Software

I'm going to get a PDA for Geocaching...what do you recommend?

I was looking at a Palm TX and using Cachemate.

Perfect combination! Though, now that he is developing on the PPC, it's a pity that his roots Palm version has been neglected. Still plenty that could be done with it yet.

I really want to upgrade to the TX, but I sure would hate to destroy it in the field. I may still upgrade from my T, at some point. Alothough, I may just add a PPC to the mix to play the Wherigo game.

As for software, I have both on my PDA, but I prefer Plucker to cachemate. I find it more 'cache page-like'. As a bonus, I get any pics from the cache pages to the cache pages on my pda by using Sunrise instead of Plucker's desktop application.

I also keep a database of all my cache hunts on my pda using Cache Log Book.

I have been using a Palm M500 with Cachemate installed for Geocaching for more than two years. It works very well, although having a TX with the faster processor would be nice. :unsure:

A friend recently purchased a new Palm M500 on eBay for only $30.00, including the shipping. :blink:

I have an inexpensive hard case for the Palm M500 that I found at BigLOTS! The case has protected it when it has been dropped . . .

I use GSAK to keep all the cache data for this "cache-rich" area.

Both replies have mentioned the PPC...

If that is the new thing...what PPC would you get?

I actually greatly prefer palms over PPCs. The only reason I have considered adding a PPC to my gear is because the necessary Wherigo software is only for PPC. I would likely retain my palm and use it for everything that I currently use it for, including geocaching. Edited by sbell111

I currently use a Treo650 for my PDA. I have cachemate, which is a nice little program. I also tried the Plucker/Sunrise method mentioned in this thread. Very nice as well since you get an HTML version of the cache page that is easy to read. I create the HTML pages with GSAK, then run through Sunrise to 'squish' them down into a Palm version. Going with Plucker, I also have a program called Cache Log Book. Very simple but it works.

I would recommend

1. GSAK on your PC

2. Cachemate on the PDA

-OR-

Plucker / Sunrise / Cache Log Book combination

GSAK + Cachemate has the least amount of steps to get the data to the PDA.

- Download Pocket Queries from GC.com

- load into GSAK

- Export from GSAK to Cachemate format

- Load onto Palm (hotsynch or I use a Blue Tooth file transfer with my Treo)

Plucker / Sunrise / Cache Log Book takes a few more steps to set up and to get the info from point A to point B, but all the software is FREE.

- Download PQ from GC.com

- load into GSAK

- Export from GSAK in HTML format

- Run Sunrise and 'squish' the HTML into a Palm pdb file

- Load the PDB file onto Palm PDA and open with Plucker. (hotsynch or I use Blue Tooth file transfer)

If you really want to get fancy and automated, you can get macros for GSAK/Cachemate that load the logs from PDA back to GSAK after you re-synch the PDA when you are done caching. I haven't bothered with this as that requires actually writing the log info on the PDA. I can do it faster from a PC than on a PDA. I enter only found/DNF, date, etc - the basics on the PDA to note the find.

Plucker has more of an 'eye candy' appeal on a color Palm. Its like viewing the web page, and as mentioned you can set the 'link depth' to grab any images/pictures to include as well. But it is view only, whereas Cachemate gives you the same info and you can log your caches in the same program. Cachemate isn't free, but the cost is only 8 bucks.

Edited by MorganCoke

The latter point is what I like about Cachemate. There is a "page" for the Description, a page with the Past Logs, and a Page for logging your find and making notes about the cache. I don't have to use any other program on my Palm to get all the info I need and log my find.

Eight dollars for such a functional piece of software was a real bargain. :lol:

just purchased and installed cachemate. loaded caches but no hints showed up. any idea what I did wrong. I am a paid member. I am guessing it is something that I have done or not down in the download process

I have had an iQue (Palm with GPS built in) for years and occassionally i get the same problem. I just delete all the waypoints in that file and then have it rescan. Usually the second time I load the file everything is there.

Did you use GSAK to Export the information in the .pdb format?

Or did you use a different program?

Used MacCMConvert. honestly no idea what it converted them to. Just grag in gpx files it tells me it is converting and bam nexk hotsync almost all the info is there. have not tried deleting and reloading however.

Did you use GSAK to Export the information in the .pdb format?

Or did you use a different program?

Used MacCMConvert. honestly no idea what it converted them to. Just grag in gpx files it tells me it is converting and bam nexk hotsync almost all the info is there. have not tried deleting and reloading however.

HA you guys were right I was converting LOC files therefore that data was not included. Used GPX files and have everything I was looking for. Thanks for setting me straight.