Hong Kong Geocoin Missions

ozymandiasism

Hi All,

I will be going to Hong Kong for 2.5 week at the end of April and planning on doing a bit of caching over there with my family. I will be releasing 25 Hong Kong geocoins in the wild. Before I had decided to go back, I was planning on releasing them in the States and set their missions to travel to Hong Kong. Well, since they will now be released in Hong Kong, that kind of changes things... LOL.

I am thinking of some interesting mission of these coins. Any suggestions?

There are now 60 caches in Hong Kong. There were 51 I checked a few months back.

For anyone traveling to HK in the near future, I found this GSP map. I have not had a chance to upload it yet, but hey, it's free.

I will be in Beijing, Chengdu and Wolong from May 9 through the 21st. I don't think they will travel that far by than but perhaps I could snag one and bring it back. :unsure:

Hmmm... maybe I can send you a few coins and you can drop them off in Beijing. I'll set their missions to travel to HK or something.... interested????

I will be in Beijing, Chengdu and Wolong from May 9 through the 21st. I don't think they will travel that far by than but perhaps I could snag one and bring it back. :unsure:

Hmmm... maybe I can send you a few coins and you can drop them off in Beijing. I'll set their missions to travel to HK or something.... interested????

Absolutely.

I will be in Beijing, Chengdu and Wolong from May 9 through the 21st. I don't think they will travel that far by than but perhaps I could snag one and bring it back. :D

Absolutely.

Great!!! Can you email me your info. I am tons of stuff to get done in the next couple of weeks and will set up everything and send the coins to you!

Thank you veyr much!

I will be at the Great Wall at Badaling doing a cache. So I can take several pictures of the coins there.

The Great Wall and surrounding mountains are absolutely beautiful there! My only wish is that I could have seen it in the winter time, with snow on the ground/wall.

I will be at the Great Wall at Badaling doing a cache. So I can take several pictures of the coins there.

The Great Wall and surrounding mountains are absolutely beautiful there! My only wish is that I could have seen it in the winter time, with snow on the ground/wall.

I would love to go to the great wall some day

A fellow cacher mentioned this to me in an email and I thoguht it was an awesome idea. He suggested that I should copy what HogWildStuff did when he went on a trip to Rome....

So.... This is how it's going to work.... If anyone would like to have a Hong Kong geocoin (or triple dragon geocoin if you prefer) travel and drop in Hong Kong... you can purchase a coin from me. In return, I will send you the tracking number + activation code before I leave, so you can put the coin in your inventory.... and I will bring the coin to Hong Kong and drop it in a cache in there. Please IM or send me an email if you're interested.

Also, I have read a recent thread about carrying geocoins on a plane... but I am planning on traveling with about 50-60 geocoins.... has anyone travelled with large amount of coins to anotehr country before? I wonder if they would give me a hard time because the large quantity....

thx!

d

Also, I have read a recent thread about carrying geocoins on a plane... but I am planning on traveling with about 50-60 geocoins.... has anyone travelled with large amount of coins to anotehr country before? I wonder if they would give me a hard time because the large quantity....

I was just in Hong Kong airport yesterday on my way home from Beijing :laughing: You should try to have some of your coins visit 2008 Olympic venues in Beijing, for example there is a cache right next ot the Laoshan Vellodrome, GCWMKD. GC caches are rather few and far between in mainland China, but they are slowly spreading & there is also a fairly active Chinese language geocaching site. There is a virtual in the Forbidden City that would fit well with the theme of your coins, and the Dragon Armillaries at the Beijing Ancient Observatory would also fit well, even though there is no cache there, just a waymark.

You're looking at around 2.5KG of coins, which they will obviously want to x-ray separately. It will be a good percentage of your carry-on allowance. One concern that they will have is that it will likely be considered commercial goods to be left in the country, in which case they may want to charge you importations fees. I'm not certain what the Hong Kong import allowance is. If the exemption is high enough, you might just be able to go through the "nothing to declare" lane and have no extra hassles. They will probably want to see some kind of commercial invoice as well, to verify their value & prove you are not trying to transport currency.

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

I was just in Hong Kong airport yesterday on my way home from Beijing :rolleyes: You should try to have some of your coins visit 2008 Olympic venues in Beijing, for example there is a cache right next ot the Laoshan Vellodrome, GCWMKD. GC caches are rather few and far between in mainland China, but they are slowly spreading & there is also a fairly active Chinese language geocaching site. There is a virtual in the Forbidden City that would fit well with the theme of your coins, and the Dragon Armillaries at the Beijing Ancient Observatory would also fit well, even though there is no cache there, just a waymark.

That's a good idea. thanks!!!

You're looking at around 2.5KG of coins, which they will obviously want to x-ray separately. It will be a good percentage of your carry-on allowance. One concern that they will have is that it will likely be considered commercial goods to be left in the country, in which case they may want to charge you importations fees. I'm not certain what the Hong Kong import allowance is. If the exemption is high enough, you might just be able to go through the "nothing to declare" lane and have no extra hassles. They will probably want to see some kind of commercial invoice as well, to verify their value & prove you are not trying to transport currency.

Good Luck! ;)

Yeah, i figured it would be safe to put them in a ziplock bag... take them out and have them scan the coins separately. And thanks for the tips on the commercial invoice, that's a good point.

I would have one to get its photo taken with tallships around the world.

ya know... if I didn't have this topic on email notification... I would have completely forgotten to set missions to my "set free" coins. Thanks for the reminder!

Tallship! I used to live in Boston and enjoyed the occasional tallship visit :laughing:

OK... this has been requested by a couple of cachers so I'll just post here to remind myself....

I will create a picture of the back of the Hong Kong geocoin with English translation, and put them side by side with the English version. Kind of a fun project really... not sure if I would have time to do so before I leave for Hong Kong... but will defintely have this up in a few days!

Howdy from Hong Kong!!! Hope everyone's doing well!!!

It has been very busy few days for me... a lot of family stuff so I have yet to go caching in Hong Kong... but I'm crossing fingers that I will be able to... given we have decent weather....

Anyways, as promised, I have created an English version of the Hong Kong Map, so you can do a side by side comparison.... It is quite interesting really... and Ap Lei Chau, the little island south west of Hong Kong Island, is where I am staying in right now....

481506125_0a2bc22fb0_o.jpg

And for those who have purchased my hong kong geocoin to be dropped here.... I will drop them off in the next few days. Don't worry.... I brought like 8 pounds of coins with me and I am NOT bringing them back to the States! LOL.