NEW SC Caches?

GRANPA ALEX

Not wanting to start a some major issue or hurt anyone's feelings but I was just wondering, is there some effort or activity actually stifling new cache placements in SC (or just in the Low Country)?

Reason for asking . . . when I go to my home in Charleston, I find I must increase the perimeter of my hunting to well & way outside of the city to find caches and then, most of them are older caches that I never got to because the city/peninsula was earlier so plentiful in new caches.

Most recently, on my short visits, I have not been able to cache because the distance to/between unfound caches was prohibitive for the time I had to play. There just does not seem to be new caches being placed in urbia/suburbia to any appreciative degree, even by the ones who were earlier so very active and creative before in hiding fine caches.

Just curious, are there some constrictive regulations that only our SC friends are being expected to meet that stifles their hiding activity or is there a general diminished interest or am I just in the dark & guessing incorrectly? I say this this, because, there seems to be no diminished activity anywhere else in the SE that I visit . . . only in SC.

Of course, there must be a concern for hides in certain locales, for a while, after the earlier legislative turmoil, but have things now gone too far the the right, too conservative? Are demands placed upon hiders stifling their interest and killing the hiding activity?

It is sadly peculiar and most unfortunate that the other site is now growing there in hides and activity from gc people, is it a precipitant of a controlling stifling issue on new gc placements? :anitongue:

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

Moving this topic of local interest out of the Geocaching Topics forum and over to the South and Southeast Forum.

The standards for cache listings in South Carolina are pretty much the same as everywhere else, with the obvious exception of cemetery caches and related issues not raised by the listing service. As for getting stricter, the intent of the most recent update was to make the listing guidelines easier to understand and friendlier to cache hiders when possible. Examples include easing the restrictions on multiple event caches in the same area on the same weekend, and chipping away at the 528 foot proximity guideline as it pertains to virtual waypoints in multicaches and puzzles. That update, from February 2007, has been the sole rules change since November of 2005.

Edited by Keystone

Haven't noticed this in my area, the Upstate...I get all the terms for the different parts of the state confused as I'm not from here. Lately there have been several new caches around this area every week. Maybe there just aren't as many active cachers in Charleston these days. Or maybe the local cachers don't feel like there are many good places left?

I will say that in this area, there weren't many caches to begin with so that's not a problem yet.

From the last cache I tried to place in SC (Pee Dee Region) which we were planning on having my parents maintain as well as the few caches I have helped my parents with listing, there is a much harder set of listing guidelines in SC than here in PA. Well at least per working or trying to work with SC Reviewer. SC Reviewer seems to want abundance more information including the Name and a way to contact the land owner before he/she even considers listing the cache.

I also remember something about a land owner database, but do not remember if SC Reviewer was the champion of that project or not, but between the more information wanted and the possibilty of having to submit information to this land owner database is more than likely some of the reasons you are seeing fewer new caches.

Now to qualify; things may have gotten more lax as I nor have my parents tried to place a new cache in at least 5 months, which is another reason you probably see less caches... as people become disheartened they stop trying.

I know exactly where your coming from Grandpa Alex. I went to a few meetings in Charleston and told people to please place more caches. I will say to their credit, that the caches in Charleston are all (over 90 percent)very, very good caches. They actually pride themselves on not having mindless micros. But in order to do that they cut back on the number of caches that are placed each month.

I'm glad I live in Columbia because now I get a choice. Some days I just want to up my numbers and some days I want to do some quality caches. I believe you should be able to do both and Columbia has a lot of each.

Out of my 10 best caches list though, the majority of them come from the Charleston area.

Ditto to Brett&Citty's reply.

The cache placement is a bit more difficult in SC.

Some days I feel like a cache run, and some days I just feel like one good cache. I like having choices.

I have been cultivating a distaste for the magnet cache here lately and archived every cache I had that fell into that category.

I've noticed the same thing. I'm in Savannah, right on the Georgia / South Carolina border. Judging by my thrice weekly '100 mile radius Not Found PQ', the new caches in Georgia easily outnumber the new caches in South Carolina by perhaps three or four to one and have for quite a while.

I suspect the cemetery issue plays a major role in these numbers. For a long time, new caches in Beaufort County were few and far between. Used to be, a new SC cache popping up in my PQ was a rarity. Now, there's often one, maybe two a week.

And, like Brett said, most of the caches that are there are quality hides. But, so were HL's cemetery hides that started this nonsense. So, I can understand if a cacher is apprehensive about submitting a new cache.

GA I was all into hiding when I started and still have several caches ready for placement, but the resistence met here in S.C. sure took all the joy and fun out of that aspect of the game for me, so I don't even try anymore, I just hunt and enjoy the fun aspect of the game for me. No need getting my blood pressure up over trying to hide a cache. I know several other cachers in the area that feel the same way and would hide more if it weren't such a hassle.

I'm glad I live in Columbia because now I get a choice. Some days I just want to up my numbers and some days I want to do some quality caches. I believe you should be able to do both and Columbia has a lot of each.

WOW!!!! You two were who I had in mind when I spoke of liberal hiders who have become extinct in the Charleston (Low Country) area . . . too bad for Chas. but hurray for Columbia, now that you have moved. Glad you are doing well and still active, great news!!! Also good news that you have the computer thing handled :wub: !!!!

Am planning a Columbia run/visit soon, would be a real kick to find some new Brett & Citty hides - wish you well there in Columbia, keep it happy & fun!

Maybe I will run into you, put a cache in your own front yard, like before, surely that will be easily approved. :wub:

Too bad, too-too bad, it seems it is as I so sadly suspected, I guess . . . the SC reviewer has taken the joy out of hiding new caches and killed participation in growth of the game.

Maybe a new reviewer should be considered, one who wants growth and prosperity that is measured by the fun and participation of the players should be considered, fresh ideas are always worth considering . . . but that is politics and certainly not my venue. I just hate that he has so hurt the game . . . it is a sad & poor situation that hurts people too. :D

Too bad, too-too bad, it seems it is as I so sadly suspected, I guess . . . the SC reviewer has taken the joy out of hiding new caches and killed participation in growth of the game.

Well I know for a fact a caching couple in Columbia who has hidden and gotten approved like 20 something new caches over the last few weeks, 5 great well placed tradional tradeable size caches were approved yesterday in the Wagner area. One upstate cacher I know has spent a lot of time laying out a rather large series of caches in the Clemson area. Myrtle Beach, wow, all the new cachers in that are have been hiding caches for a while and a lot of new ones in the area.

Yes you have those who are upset with trying to hide caches, it happens. I'm sure we ALL have had issues with a reviewer over something at one point in trying to hide a cache.

However, with the influx of new caches I see being published, I wonder where exactly the killed participation in the growth of the game is coming from?

GA I was all into hiding when I started and still have several caches ready for placement, but the resistence met here in S.C. sure took all the joy and fun out of that aspect of the game for me, so I don't even try anymore, I just hunt and enjoy the fun aspect of the game for me. No need getting my blood pressure up over trying to hide a cache. I know several other cachers in the area that feel the same way and would hide more if it weren't such a hassle.

I haven't noticed this problem at all. Is this something just in coastal SC, I wonder. I've only placed one cache, but haven't had any questions asked about verifying anything. I can't imagine there being a problem with it anyway, but I didn't meet with any roadblocks in getting it listed quickly.

I am glad there are those that don’t have a problem or mind the aggravavation and hassle, more caches for me to find which is the part of the game I am able to enjoy. There will always be those that are friends with x whether personally or cyberly and will have no problems getting caches published. There are also those that don’t mind making up info to satisfy x and some that say x doesn’t question them at all, that’s all fine and good. You will also find a lot of people that say just the opposite and have a terrible time getting caches published, I have geo friends that fit both descriptions, some have no problems and some won’t bother with trying because of the hassle. I guess you have to go from your experience and your perception

There are hot areas that seem to get a lot published, ie Columbia, Myrtle Beach, etc. but it seems to me that even 90 percent of those are by the same few people, again my perception.

My notification of new caches is set up for a 50 mile radius, I live 15 miles from the NC state line so 65% of the notification area is in SC and only 35% in NC yet the new caches in NC outnumber SC at least 10 to 1.

However, anyone who says there is no difference in SC from any other state is either not being honest and willing to admit it even though they themselves may have not had the problems for whatever reason, or they just haven’t been around long enough to see the difference. Every cacher I have heard that has hidden caches in different states notices considerable difference (as evidenced in this thread). There may or may not be legitimate reasons for this but there is a difference, again what that difference is comes from your personal experiences and perceptions, just because some haven’t encountered the same problems as others doesn’t mean they aren’t there. For several cachers in the state this has killed participation and growth in that aspect of the game.

I stopped letting that bother me a long time ago and just started enjoying the part of the game that is fun for me, which is what I would advise everyone to do, cache and let cache and have fun. When any part of the game becomes not fun it is time to stop that aspect of the game and concentrate on the parts that are fun for you.

Have fun and cache on!

I am glad there are those that don’t have a problem or mind the aggravavation and hassle, more caches for me to find which is the part of the game I am able to enjoy. There will always be those that are friends with x whether personally or cyberly and will have no problems getting caches published. There are also those that don’t mind making up info to satisfy x and some that say x doesn’t question them at all, that’s all fine and good. You will also find a lot of people that say just the opposite and have a terrible time getting caches published, I have geo friends that fit both descriptions, some have no problems and some won’t bother with trying because of the hassle. I guess you have to go from your experience and your perception

There are hot areas that seem to get a lot published, ie Columbia, Myrtle Beach, etc. but it seems to me that even 90 percent of those are by the same few people, again my perception.

My notification of new caches is set up for a 50 mile radius, I live 15 miles from the NC state line so 65% of the notification area is in SC and only 35% in NC yet the new caches in NC outnumber SC at least 10 to 1.

However, anyone who says there is no difference in SC from any other state is either not being honest and willing to admit it even though they themselves may have not had the problems for whatever reason, or they just haven’t been around long enough to see the difference. Every cacher I have heard that has hidden caches in different states notices considerable difference (as evidenced in this thread). There may or may not be legitimate reasons for this but there is a difference, again what that difference is comes from your personal experiences and perceptions, just because some haven’t encountered the same problems as others doesn’t mean they aren’t there. For several cachers in the state this has killed participation and growth in that aspect of the game.

I stopped letting that bother me a long time ago and just started enjoying the part of the game that is fun for me, which is what I would advise everyone to do, cache and let cache and have fun. When any part of the game becomes not fun it is time to stop that aspect of the game and concentrate on the parts that are fun for you.

Have fun and cache on!

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members,

Please keep this on topic there is no difference in reviewing caches in SC than anywhere else

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

If an out of towner may make a comment. I don't know why any one in SC would be complaining about the lack of caches. I am from Wisconsin and was recently in your friendly state on work and was surprised with your cache density. Maybe it is just getting harder for people to find good hides in certain areas.

Take a quick look in Google Earth and compare Sc to Wi and you will see what I mean.

I will be back in your area next week and am hoping I get a chance to do some cache hunting although once again I won't be in control of the rental car.

Any recommendations for a good cache in the Greenville / Spartanburg or Newberry area to introduce a co-worker to Geocaching? Send me a message.

Edited by yyzdnl

Please keep this on topic there is no difference in reviewing caches in SC than anywhere else

But the perceived difference is the topic.

Is this something that should be discussed elsewhere?

But there is no difference, we all review caches from the same guidelines, but there are local, state guidelines also like cemeteries, and attacks on a volunteer reviewer will not continue Thread Closed

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator